close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hunting with Air Rifles

Discussion in 'Mississippi Air Rifles' started by TankerHC, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Jedman7

Jedman7 Full Poster

Thanks, Fivesuns

2. 2DARK2C

2DARK2C Distinguished Poster

.22 with nitro piston. crosman/benjamin makes the best np , hatsan also makes np. .22 pellets at 800 fps makes clean ethical body kills on squirrels :)

I paid $100 shipped for my first hatsan styker spring model, but last year I snagged the same with nitro piston for $100 refurbished.

I bought it online at field supply

here is a few:
    springers
    Gamo Big Cat (.22 cal) Air Rifle- Refurb
    Ruger Impact (.22 cal) Air Rifle w/ Scope- Refurb
    Hatsan 1000X Striker Air Rifle Combo - Hardwood
    nitro pistons
    Crosman Redtail (.22 cal) Air Rifle Combo
    wow!
    Hatsan 95 Vortex QE (.22 cal Air Rifle- Refurb
    ^ that's a smoking deal!

so any .22 800 or more fps. generally pack in scopes are not great so don't think a bundle will save you $. buy the best in your budget, then buy a 1 piece scope mount and scope!

phillipd likes this.

3. Jedman7

Jedman7 Full Poster

Thanks, 2Dark. I've never heard of Hatsan. How to they compare to Crosman/Benjamin?

4. 2DARK2C

I really like my hatsan. it has a walther match barrel and built like a tank. I like it so much I bought the exact same model "striker 1000" with the gas piston :)

there is a lot of info on nitro piston air guns. in short they last forever and hold their power until complete failure, parts breakage. springs will lose power and stop working in the 1000's or 10,000's shots, np will be running strong if maintained - oiled seal every year or so, and kept from the elements :)

Quickeye likes this.
  5. 2DARK2C

with breakbarrel air rifles:
    use only crosman oil- regular oil will diesel( explode under pressure) it will gunk up the works and push your pellets sonic speed.

my hatsan doesn't chamber crosman pellets well at all. I think the "match" barrel has a very tight chamber. I shoot the cheapest daisy pointed pellets, they are soft and chamber easy. they also kill squirrels dead :)

whichever rifle you choose, you will need to try at least a couple different pellets to see what works best. you can get sample packs online, but I suggest trying what is available local first, just for convenience. I am happy shooting cheap daisy pellets, but I have bought some heavy magnum to try out.

Quickeye likes this.
  6. ray1377

ray1377 Member

This one might suit your needs.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Umarex-USA-Ruger-Air-Hawk-Combo-with-4X32-Scope-177-Cal/15137013

I don't own one but have read a good bit about it on the airgun forums.
    It's considered a "clone" of a German made Diana 34 break-barrel.
    And you would be hard pressed to find a better basic break-barrel than a model 34.
    Sounds like you may be on a budget since you are asking about $125 or less.
    That being said, Some airguns come bundled with a scope, ususally a 4x32.
    These scopes are most often very low budget with poor glass.
    And break-barrel airguns are known for being really hard on scopes since you have double recoil with a springer. When you pull the trigger the piston going forward causes the airgun to be pushed backwards, and when the piston stops at the end of its stroke you get a forward kick. Hence the "double recoil" and most scopes are not designed for it. Good airgun scopes will say that they are "airgun rated". I'm not trying to discourage you from buying one airgun over another, just want you to know about the ones that come with a scope in the box.
    If you are hunting squirrels you can do just fine with a .177 pellet gun. So don't think you "have" to buy a .22 to get the job done.
    I would shy away from any (magnum) springer's because they usually have way more recoil and are harder to shoot well.
    Speaking of shooting well, you do realize a break-barrel springer or gas-ram airgun is NOT going to shoot the same as say a standard .22 powder burner. Each and every break-barrel requires a bit of skill to shoot accurately. Otherwise known as practice, practice, practice. Most of them need to be gently cradled and not man handled while being shot. In other words you wouldn't hold it like a high powered deer rifle. Holding the break-barrel tight will cause poor accuracy. If you keep your shots to say 40 yards or less you should do great with a .177 caliber. But really that will depend on your ability to hit a killzone comfortably at a given distance. I usually practice with bottle water tops. I set them out at various ranges from 15 to 50 yards and shoot at them. If I can hit them easily at 40 yards with each shot but start missing them alot at 45, then I know my comfortable maximum distance is 40 yards. Water bottle tops are perfect for squirrel head sized shots. Or at least that's how I practice. To date, my longest kill shot on a squirrel is 62 yards.
    One of the main reasons I have responded to your question is that I want you to understand what you are getting in to. Over 20 years ago I bought my first springer break-barrel airgun. It was a Crosman Phantom in .177 caliber. It was horrible, or so I thought. I couldn't hit the same place twice with it. I finally sent it back for a refund. I turned right around and bought a Beeman RS2 that came with inter-changeable barrels. One in .177 and one in .22 caliber. I just assumed it was a poorly build airgun with the Crosman. So surely a second airgun would be better. Wrong. The Beeman was as bad or worse than the Crosman. It took 48 lbs of cocking effort and it really had a ton of recoil. If I remember correctly, it broke 2 scopes before I took it back for a refund. I swore off springers right then and there.
    Well as time went by I discovered alot of online airgun forum boards and started doing as much reading and studying as I could. Years later I bought another Crosman springer. A Storm XT in .177 caliber. I tore it all down and polished all the internals including stoning the trigger contact points. I installed a new piston seal and built a piston liner to take up the slack of the spring inside it when cocked. And I finally ended up shortening the spring to make the gun shoot right at 12 ft/lbs like the UK fellows are limited to shoot. Now it takes less effort to cock, its smooth as half melted butter and doesn't kick much at all when fired. I can hit those water bottle tops at 40 yards every time with it. But it took alot of shooting to get proficient with it, somewhere around 5000 plus shots. And after the lube and polish it got smoother the more I shot it.
    2Dark up above also makes a good point. Testing as many different brands and weights of pellets you can will help you find the one your airgun likes the best. And each and every airgun is different. By that I mean your brand XYZ springer may not like the same pellet as another fellows brand XYZ springer.
    So if you decide to get a break-barrel don't give up easy and keep practicing. It will only make you better in the long run.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    gutdoc likes this.
  7. gutdoc

gutdoc Distinguished Poster

Airguns can be just as finicky about the pellets they like as a traditi9nal firearm. Stick with the premium brands for the best results.

8. ThatGuy

ThatGuy I could only pick one, extra money, or guns.

God bless Ted

oldguns and 22lrfan like this.