close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I Didn't Know

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by sand_man, Apr 27, 2016.

1. sand_man

sand_man Grouchy Old Fart MSGO Supporter

that Armscor owned Rock Island Armory and was selling several of their 38 spl under that name. They are offered in black or stainless. They compare in size to the Colt Detective as they are 6 shot. Reviews on Buds were mostly positives with some negatives thrown in by people expecting the gun to be a Smith or a Colt. Might be one to look at as a house gun to back up my others.

2. 22lrfan

22lrfan Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

That's interesting. I knew they made the Rock Island 1911's but didn't know about the .38's.

3. Vick

Vick Distinguished Poster

Looked at the schematic...it appears to be a cross between the S&W and the Colt as far as lockwork is concerned with the latching system of the Colt. Probably functions pretty well.

4. Caleb C

Caleb C Distinguished Poster

Lake, MS
    I looked at one a year or so ago. It seems to be a functional and reliable revolver at a good price. The fit/finish was less than impressive but it seemed to be solid. I think you'd probably be better off with an old beat up S&W though.

5. DEADEYE 1

DEADEYE 1 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I bought one as an investment several years ago. A guy I know wanted for his wife so I sold it and bought me another one. They seem to be a solid built revolver and you can,t beat the price. I think that I paid around 240 for the first one, new in the box.
    Be prepared to spend a hour or so cleaning the gun up before you fire it. They are in a plastic bag in the box that they come in and are packed in a oil or cosmoline type antirust oil. I bet they would last 50 years new in the box without rusting. It is fine for storing but you have to clean before shooting unless they have changed in the last couple years.
    It says Rock Island Armory on the outside of the plastic case. For the money, I would say buy. I don,t think they are rated for plus-P ammo. They are 6 shot, medium framed and look like a Colt with a olive drab finish. I have not seen one in stainless. They also have a warranty.

6. tonoavail

tonoavail Distinguished Poster

I have looked into getting one of these and i was wondering how bad the cleaning process was.
    Do you have to take out internals of the gun and if so is it very difficult, ive always been intimidated by dissasembling revolvers.

7. DEADEYE 1

DEADEYE 1 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I did not go inside the revolver . I took Hoppe,s and cleaned every thing on the outside and ran solvent patches and clean dry patches down the barrel and inside the cylinder till it looked good. The first one I spent what seemed like an hour. The one I have in my safe now did not seem to take so long. It has what looks like a military parkerized finish on the ones I bought. It has a four inch barrel and I think a hard plastic case. My memory is not as sharp as it once was. One of these days when I get my fall planting done, I may sell a few guns to buy insulation for my shop.You could easily take the grips off and see if they put that oil inside. I figured that they put the thick oil on the outside to protect them in shipping and handling.
    I have repaired and rebuilt revolvers but I don,t go in them unless they are broke as a general rule. If you ever do go in them, invest in a good set of hollow ground screwdrivers. You can file them but now you can buy specially made screwdrivers for several brands of guns from Brownells.

Mesquite and 22lrfan like this.
  8. tonoavail

tonoavail Distinguished Poster

Thanks for the info that is the main reason i was hesitant in getting one. I was afraid id mess something up not knowing what i was doing.

Mesquite likes this.