Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back around 2016 when I got my first 500 S&W Handi rifle I ordered a set of RCBS dies. Later on a MSGOer was selling a set of RCBS 500 S&W dies at a very good price, so I jumped on it. About a month ago I was reading articles and watching YouTube videos on the 500 S&W Special round. Yes, a shorter 500 S&W round. This made good sense to me as I wanted to load some light to medium 500 S&W ammo. Starline even has 500 S&W Spl brass in stock (but little else).

The main issue when reloading is the Special brass is 0.350" shorter then the Mag brass. Not like the 38/357 and 44Spl/44Mag combos where the difference is only about 1/8". So you need an 500 S&W Spl die set that only RCBS currently makes. Besides being expensive, like most reloading stuff these days..... OUT OF STOCK in all the places I checked. So I just passed on the 500 S&W Spl ammo idea.

About a week ago I got some once-fired 500 S&W Mag brass from another MSGOer. I got them deprimed and run through the SS pins. This morning I dug through some of the packed boxes looking for my dies. I found both plastic boxes of 500 S&W dies. As I was looking at ID label on both boxes, I noticed one box said 500 S&W/SPL. It was the set I bought for the Handi rifle. I compared the seat die of both sets and sure enough, it is a SPECIAL die set. The set loads Magnums just fine as that was the die set I was using. I was tickled s h i tless. I did a happy dance.

Well.......... back to Starline's website and ordered 250 pieces of 500 S&W Spl brass for $197. OUCH, but they have it in stock. I have an Accurate Molds 50cal 350gr RNFP 4C mold on order. That mold is still about 2 months away from delivery. I do have other 50cal cast bullets ready to load when the Spl brass arrives.

The discovery made my day....................... :p

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,529 Posts
Good deal glad you are having a great day. What kind of velocity do the spls have?

Reactions: Mesquite

·
Premium Member
14,551 Posts
Back around 2016 when I got my first 500 S&W Handi rifle I ordered a set of RCBS dies. Later on a MSGOer was selling a set of RCBS 500 S&W dies at a very good price, so I jumped on it. About a month ago I was reading articles and watching YouTube videos on the 500 S&W Special round. Yes, a shorter 500 S&W round. This made good sense to me as I wanted to load some light to medium 500 S&W ammo. Starline even has 500 S&W Spl brass in stock (but little else).

The main issue when reloading is the Special brass is 0.350" shorter then the Mag brass. Not like the 38/357 and 44Spl/44Mag combos where the difference is only about 1/8". So you need an 500 S&W Spl die set that only RCBS currently makes. Besides being expensive, like most reloading stuff these days..... OUT OF STOCK in all the places I checked. So I just passed on the 500 S&W Spl ammo idea.

About a week ago I got some once-fired 500 S&W Mag brass from another MSGOer. I got them deprimed and run through the SS pins. This morning I dug through some of the packed boxes looking for my dies. I found both plastic boxes of 500 S&W dies. As I was looking at ID label on both boxes, I noticed one box said 500 S&W/SPL. It was the set I bought for the Handi rifle. I compared the seat die of both sets and sure enough, it is a SPECIAL die set. The set loads Magnums just fine as that was the die set I was using. I was tickled s h i tless. I did a happy dance.

Well.......... back to Starline's website and ordered 250 pieces of 500 S&W Spl brass for $197. OUCH, but they have it in stock. I have an Accurate Molds 50cal 350gr RNFP 4C mold on order. That mold is still about 2 months away from delivery. I do have other 50cal cast bullets ready to load when the Spl brass arrives.

The discovery made my day....................... :p

Don’t know if you can use it but I have that 440gn Lee mold I had for the Beowulf.......I’ll send it if it’ll do you some good.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,529 Posts
Looking for 800-850fps with the 350gr bullets.

Kinda sounds like the ballistics of the old Bowen 50 special from years ago.

Just looked it up they mention this so its just like it. He used to chamber it in a Redhawk.

" Hamilton Bowen advertises a .50 special on his website. He suggests it shoot 300-350 grain bullets @ 800-900 fps."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts