Mississippi Gun Owners banner

I just do not understand........no American manufactuer makes .223 bolt/walnut !

4K views 40 replies 13 participants last post by  medicine man 
#1 · (Edited)
I've actually been fuming about this for quite some time, but my buddy and I were doing our usual thing, you know, thinking about our next "must have", and the subject of a nice bolt rifle in the fabulous American cartridge of .223 was the subject. I, as a profound lover of traditional firearms, would love to have a really nice walnut bolt rifle in the cartridge.
I find them in bogus cartridges like 450 Bush and .204 Ruger, as well as 22-250 and other much less popular rounds than the .223, and I have to wonder. Are these companies run by a bunch of morons or what? Let's look at it strictly from a financial standpoint or a sales standpoint.....the three cartridges listed above are ok in their own right, but rifles in .223 sell at a rate that must be somewhere around 1,000 times more often. So, if you are making these decisions for me, in the words of DJT: "You're fired"! If you look at the round itself, you know that it is one of the most accurate and flat shooting cartridges in the world, with almost no recoil. It would be outstanding as a Hog rifle and just a blast to shoot. Some, though I wouldn't recommend it, have used them to hunt deer. I have killed the one deer I ever shot at with a .223 myself.
I just had to get this off my chest, and wonder how many feel the same way. Rant over.
** edit.....I really mean an American manufactuer....you know Winchester,Ruger,Mossberg,Savage,Kimber,Remington, etc.

See less See more
#2 ·
Look for a Ruger M77 RSI "International". They used to make them in a wide variety of calibers, I ordered one in .270 from my LGS back in the 1990s and got it in about a week. Wish I still had it. The asking price is 3x + what I bought mine for.

#4 ·
I have a single shot H&R 223 and one in 22 Hornet. I know you want a bolt gun but I think I saw where Henry made a single shot in 223. It is a wonder that Ruger does not make one in the American rifle and you can buy wood stocks for them now. Remington made a Remington 222 caliber back in the 60s, maybe longer. I knew a man that killed deer with one.

#6 ·
My best friend's father owns a Remington .222 bolt action, blue w/ wood stock. Hardwood I believe, not walnut. My friend still has it, has killed many deer and other game with it. IIRC the model is the Remington 722.

#5 ·
#14 ·
Add Howa to the list of gunmakers offering a .223 bolt action rifle with a blued finish and walnut stock... (y)

Yes, they make a nice rifle, but it is made in Japan. Nothing wrong with that, but lamenting that an American company doesn't offer an American rifle for the completely American cartridge in walnut.

#28 ·
Lot's of interesting takes on this subject, which tells me...........it's a problem!!! Wake up Ruger!!!
wake up Remington!! Wake up Winchester !!! And Kimber and Savage!!!
let's see, what if....remember the model 14 Savage anyone? (what if in .223?) And The BDL?? WTH?
How about a 77 Ruger Hawkeye?? in Am Walnut.....I'd buy it tomorrow, and you would too!
Kimber ??? They could make it perfect in the 84. Mossberg Walnut Patriot anyone?
Don't even tell me that Thompson Center couldn't do it. And the Obvious one........Model 70 Featherweight!
Browning? Hadn't even mentioned them. I cannot be the only one.

#36 ·
This is interesting, because it isn't listed anywhere on Ruger website?? Hmmmmm
Thanks for the note, all I can figure is Ruger made it special for them? It does say wood,not walnut, but Ruger pretty good about putting walnut on them. I'll check in on that one. thanks

#39 ·
Uh, the Ruger shows to be a 1 in 9 twist. I think the BLR (not a bolt) has a 1 in 10 or 12?
Again, strange that the Ruger isn't shown on their website, but it does seem to exist at sportsman's superstore?
I believe it to be the only walnut stocked, American made bolt rifle in .223. There are some laminate and hardwood options but not walnut. CZ, Weatherby and Rem offer options also, but I wouldn't pay a nickel for that 783., and the other two are foreign made. I like the CZ the best of that group. The Ruger looks great on S Superstore website.

#40 ·
Well in a 22-250 I don't really want a 12 twist though I have seriously considered it. Would rather a 9 or 10 twist. I don't want to throw 40 grain pills with the heavier 224 cal bullets out there would like it to throw 55-80 grain pills. Thats why I will more than likely just stay with the 223 , 224 v or a 243. Just haven't decided.

Reactions: wingmaster
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.