Mississippi Gun Owners banner

Which would be your self defense weapon of choice?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there! I am a middle-aged brazilian photographer, married to a policewoman and got 2 beautiful baby girls.
Here in brazil we have heavy limitations on gun ownership, and you can get up to 6 years in jail for having an unlicensed weapon. however with this pandemic, and some other factors, the criminality rate is skyrocketing. so to protect my family I decided to purchase a firearm. But this is my problem:

In brazil when someone breaks in, you have 2 enemies! the thief and the judge who most likely will try to end you after the fact. SO the event of a home invasion;

1- my wife can only carry a revolver from .22 up to .357magnum and if I use her gun, I can go to jail ,once I don't have a license to use HER gun. I have to have my license to use my gun.
2. I can only use legally handguns calibers from .22 to .40 for pistols and up to .357 for revolvers.
3. I cannot shot 2+ rounds on the invader, (some judges consider this excess) and I may end up in jail. ( unless I can prove the shot first)
4. I cant shoot in the head ( same reason above)

so my fellow law-abiding citizens, if you were in my shoes, and needed to follow those rules, what is the best self-defense weapon you would buy? and why?

·
Super Moderator
8,242 Posts
What's the status on ammo availability over there?

·
Seeker of wisdom & Purveyor of the truth!
676 Posts
A rock and a stick is better than nothing, but get what you can while you can, 9mm may be more ideal for its ability, availability and larger magazine capacity.

·
Registered
412 Posts
9mm (semi)or 357 (revolver) in a handgun.

semi: I prefer a “hammer” rather than “striker”

Regardless, practice, practice practice.... even dry firing!

Welcome to the group, ppl w more knowledge than me will give you better info’

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
It sounds like you'd be better off beating or stabbing your attacker/invader to death. If I were you, I'd buy a knife and use the rest of the money to retain a lawyer.

To add to that: You'd also be wise to use things that ordinarily wouldn't be considered weapons. Think tools. Hammer, screwdrivers, kitchen knives. Aggression and intellect are much more valuable than a gun.

·
Registered
7,074 Posts
For carry, 9mm. For home defense, .40S&W. Either subject to availability of the ammo.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys, this is only the tip of the iceberg.
criminals use guns, once they don't care about repercussions, I can not safely bring a knife to a gunfight. 2 examples:

1. thief invades a home at night knife at hand, the homeowner sees it, and puts 7 rounds on him.bandit dies, homeowner goes to jail for excessive use of force, judges rules 7 shots were too much to a knife threat,
2. same situation, bandit armed, homeowner hides and put a bullet in the back os his head. jail! judge rules he should have fired a warning shot or aimed for a nonvital area.

9mm (semi)or 357 (revolver) in a handgun.

semi: I prefer a “hammer” rather than “striker”

Regardless, practice, practice practice.... even dry firing!

Welcome to the group, ppl w more knowledge than me will give you better info’
yep, I am considering the g2c 9mm or 40sw (glocks cost too much here), however, I am afraid it jams when I need it.

It sounds like you'd be better off beating or stabbing your attacker/invader to death. If I were you, I'd buy a knife and use the rest of the money to retain a lawyer.
I don't think I can fend off 2 or 3 armed robbers with a knife.

Can you and your wife shoot the intruder for a total of 4 hits? Just curious how that would play out.
If we can show we were both scared for our lives and did not plan it, maybe.

For carry, 9mm. For home defense, .40S&W. Either subject to availability of the ammo.
yep, that's the thing, my house set up:

1. tall walls,
2. electric fence
3. female adult rottweiler
4. reinforce doors lock
5. windows with iron bars

and a narrow stairway ( my chokepoint for invader ambush)
don't get me wrong If I need to, I would empty a 16 bullet clip if it means to keep my family safe.
however, I am trying to make it so my girls don't have an ex-con as a father.
I am inclining towards a rt608 .357 magnum 8 shots ( I suppose revolvers are more reliable)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am with macsott.

Do the robbers have guns? If not I think you would be better learning to swing a bat or machete.
they do, sometimes they kill even though you do not resist.
police take around 30 minutes to show, and sometimes, they wait longer to answer so they do not engage in combat with criminals. ( my wife is a policewoman, believe me when I tell you: they are underpaid and outgunned, she decided not to get a corporation gun, so other front line officer doesn't work unarmed) ( she works in something like internal affairs, very safe position)
I **** you not. Brazil is not for beginners.

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
10,861 Posts
Congratulations on the wife and daughters. I am sorry that you live in a country where criminals have more protection than law abiding citizens. Some US areas are fast moving in that same (communist) direction.

A handy baseball bat or golf club might be what you need unless they are regulated by the government, too.

My wife has a friend who lives in Brazil and visits the US pretty often. I had no idea that citizens' rights were so bad there.

At least it sounds like you can share ammo with your wife---right?

So with ammo being expensive you probably want to choose the same caliber she uses.

When she is home, does your wife have access to a handgun that was issued by the police department? Or does she have to leave her service weapon at the police station when she goes home?

Regardless, it sounds like you only get 1 shot and it cannot be in the criminal's head.

It also sounds like you will not be carrying the gun on your body when you leave home---is that right?

If so, you probably want the most deadly caliber in the most reliable, most accurate handgun that you are allowed to own and can afford.

Personally, I would choose a .357 magnum in a revolver with a full size hammer. A .357 revolver shoots .38 Special ammo just fine.

The hammer lets you cock the gun and be ready to fire. Revolvers fire every time.

(Semi-auto handguns sometimes have a failure to load and you might wonder if there is a round in the chamber. And you don't need but 1 or 2 shots.)

Others will scoff at my suggestion, but a Ruger SP101 model 5718 would be a good choice if you can find one and can afford it:

Ruger® SP101® Standard Double-Action Revolver Model 5718

Folks hate Taurus, but I like them. Here is a cheaper option:

Taurus 692 Revolver 9mm Luger 38 Special 357 Mag 6 Barrel 7-Round

And when you can afford it, I would get a grip with a red laser. I am not sure one is available for the Taurus, but here is one for the Ruger:

Laser Sight for Ruger LG-111 | Official Crimson Trace Lasergrips

A laser grip will ensure that you hit your target (and not in the head if that's your goal).

Good luck!

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
I voted for the .357 Revolver because it is powerful enough to do the job, will also shoot .38 Special ammo, and fits your parameters. BUT...you didn't mentions shotguns...a 12 gauge shotgun is WAY MORE effective a home defense weapon than any pistol. I keep a 12 gauge Remington 1100 with an 18.5" barrel loaded with high-base #4 birdshot in my house.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Congratulations on the wife and daughters. I am sorry that you live in a country where criminals have more protection than law abiding citizens. Some US areas are fast moving in that same (communist) direction.
lets hope not.

A handy baseball bat or golf club might be what you need unless they are regulated by the government, too.
I can have those, but I am certain the invader would shoot me down, a laugh about my naivety later.

At least it sounds like you can share ammo with your wife---right?
So with ammo being expensive you probably want to choose the same caliber she uses.
I would rather have the most effective set to defend the home than something weaker for the sake of saving money in ammo.

When she is home, does your wife have access to a handgun that was issued by the police department? Or does she have to leave her service weapon at the police station when she goes home?
She gave up her weapon in favor of another field officer, she is a very sensible and light-hearted woman. I can not put her to fight invaders while a hide with the kids.

Regardless, it sounds like you only get 1 shot and it cannot be in the criminal's head.
yes, that is correct.

It also sounds like you will not be carrying the gun on your body when you leave home---is that right?
I could carry it to the firing range and back to my home, however, If I am stopped by the military of the federal police, and they decided I am out of my route with the weapon, they see it as a crime.

If so, you probably want the most deadly caliber in the most reliable, most accurate handgun that you are allowed to own and can afford.
Personally, I would choose a .357 magnum in a revolver with a full size hammer. A .357 revolver shoots .38 Special ammo just fine.
The hammer lets you cock the gun and be ready to fire. Revolvers fire every time.
that is my thinking. it needs to pack a punch to put down the treat in 1 shot. and the louder the better.
there are the options I can afford ( barely):

Taurus G2C Pistol 9mm Luger 3.2 Barrel 12-Round Black Black Rubber

Taurus 608 Revolver 357 Mag 4 Barrel 8-Round Stainless Black Rubber

A laser grip will ensure that you hit your target (and not in the head if that's your goal).

Good luck!
the think about laser grips is I am worried they show my position.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I voted for the .357 Revolver because it is powerful enough to do the job, will also shoot .38 Special ammo, and fits your parameters. BUT...you didn't mentions shotguns...a 12 gauge shotgun is WAY MORE effective a home defense weapon than any pistol. I keep a 12 gauge Remington 1100 with an 18.5" barrel loaded with high-base #4 birdshot in my house.
we can not have a shotgun and even if we could, I am afraid about the aftermath.
the news next day:

Violent homeowner fires a 12 gauge shotgun and kills a suspect of invasion, is this another case of excess by bloodthirsty gun owner?

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
Given the criteria and that you don't want (can't use) volume of fire, a .357 magnum revolver probably gives you the best versatility. I'll second the Ruger SP101 as a possible choice. You can use less expensive, and lighter recoiling, .38 Special ammo to practice.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts