Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to shoot a match for a couple of years, but haven't had the chance because of work. I plan on attending the match in September at Magnolia. What should I expect? Are new shooters allowed to just show up and shoot, or is there a training/orientation requirement? If so is there a scheduled time? I used to watch every now and then when I was a member of magnolia, but never got the nerve to compete.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Come on out! Here's a link to the site.

www.teammagnolia.com

It should have answers to most of the questions you asked.

You are more than welcome to shoot your first time out, you'll just attend a short safety briefing. What gun will you be shooting? Do you have a holster, mag pouches, and magazines? If not, we may be able to scrounge up some stuff for you.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

I'll be shooting an XD9 Service. I have a holster and a couple of mag pouches, but from what I've read it looks like I need about 2-4 more for shooting production, that or just stick them in my pockets. I've got plenty of magazines so that's not an issue.

·
Registered
15,550 Posts
They have some loaner gear...mag holders...maybe even a bladetech holster and belt...

They'll treat you well and you'll enjoy yourself....

a little hint...Get up there 4th or 5th in your squad...else you melt in the hot sun waiting to shoot the stage...

Get up here and GET'R'DONE

Cargill will take care of ya...

Bring 175-200 rds of ammo....Go to the new shooters meeting when they have it...usually at the last minute while everyone is moving to the first stage

leave your ego at home

Hose them targets

Don't sweat the score

Don't DQ...and most of all don't sweep anyone or yourself with the gun...ie breaking the 180 rule

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Just do it. You'll enjoy it if you like shooting and you may learn a thing or two. Take all the free advice you can get and use what u like. Most of us will provide help to new shooters just like you been there for ever. Great groups to shoot with from my experience.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I did my first one in August and had the same feeling of trepidation but everyone is great and makes you feel welcome. I even shot pretty good and it is addicting. I can't wait to go to another.

Just remember SAFETY is number one rule and everyone is good about helping you with the rules.

Have fun.

Surgdog

·
Registered
348 Posts
Like others have said, come on out! You will be welcomed by all of the regulars. Bring what you have and everyone will bend over backwards to help you. Like someone said bring plenty of ammo, 150-200 rounds and leave your ego at home. Shoot, do it safely, follow Range Officer commands, ask lots of questions and most important of all make new friends and have fun!!!! Try to be there at 7 am to help with setup. Don't be afraid to get in there and help load trucks, move walls or something. If you don't know what to do, just ASK! Bring some work gloves, this will help keep you clean and protect the trigger finger. See ya' there. If I can help in any way just ask.

Jimmy Callender

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Great advice from all above, and I hope to see y'all there as well.

Jimmy made a great point though, don't be afraid to ask or get involved. Almost everyone is very willing to help, but many don't want to be pushy or seem like a know it all so they won't say much if you don't ask. G1D also said something I agree with 100%, take all the free advice you can get and use what you like. Outside of the rules, there are many different opinions and thoughts about everything from equipment to how to do things. That is the beauty of the sport to me. It has made me learn a lot about myself too along the way, but maybe I am weird like that.

Anyway, come out and have fun.

Bryant

·
Administrator
12,999 Posts
It's a lot of fun. Just remember smoove is fast and fast is smoove. You will see a lot for shooters shoot fast. Just don't worry about that. Shoot as fast as you can hit the A zone and you won't be disapointed.

Be safe and enjoy.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had a great time! Thanks for all the encouragement and advice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts