Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A certain young man who has military credentials, secret clearance, TWIC, and more just purchased a handgun in FL and was informed he can come back and take it with him in 3 days. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

·
Registered
16,158 Posts
A certain young man who has military credentials, secret clearance, TWIC, and more just purchased a handgun in FL and was informed he can come back and take it with him in 3 days. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
:lol6::lol6::lol6:

None of those credentials mean jack in the civilian world, except for the occasional discounts at some retailers, restaurants, etc.

·
Registered
15,440 Posts
Florida’s gun laws: How have they changed after the Parkland shooting?
  • Waiting period: To purchase a gun, you must wait three days or until a background check is completed, whichever is longer. Exceptions to the three-day waiting period include licensed hunters and licensed concealed carriers, police officers and military members.
@HerrZnk i’m not familiar with the USMM(correct acronym?) or this site, but it may be worth it for your son to question the shop.

As with any shop, they can be more strict if they choose to be, but few non-big box stores choose to be, unless it’s Fudd-owned, and then why do business with them?

·
μολὼν λαβέ
229 Posts
Yeah because if you wait 3days it'll stop another mass shooting......

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Yeah because if you wait 3days it'll stop another mass shooting......
True, and the proof is that Florida hasn't had another high school shooting. These sensible gun laws work. We have to think outside the box and quit listening to that evil NRA.

:warning::warning::warning::warning::warning::warning::warning:

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Florida’s gun laws: How have they changed after the Parkland shooting?
@HerrZnk i’m not familiar with the USMM(correct acronym?) or this site, but it may be worth it for your son to question the shop.

As with any shop, they can be more strict if they choose to be, but few non-big box stores choose to be, unless it’s Fudd-owned, and then why do business with them?
I passed the link along. It's USMMA; he commissioned as an officer in the USN Reserve / Strategic Sealift Command (SSC). There is no longer any difference between reserve and active duty military ID cards, at least not in the Navy, can't speak to other branches of the military. Also his ID has his rank on it - when he drove us down to the NEX in Gulfport (Seabee base) and showed his ID to the LCpl guarding the gate, after examining my ID as well, the young LCpl stepped back and saluted him-even though he was in civilian clothes, just an issue USMMA jacket, otherwise t-shirt and jeans. I was surprised.
I'll ask him if he even showed his military ID when he wakes up...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
15,440 Posts
I passed the link along. It's USMMA; he commissioned as an officer in the USN Reserve / Strategic Sealift Command (SSC). There is no longer any difference between reserve and active duty military ID cards, at least not in the Navy, can't speak to other branches of the military. Also his ID has his rank on it - when he drove us down to the NEX in Gulfport (Seabee base) and showed his ID to the LCpl guarding the gate, after examining my ID as well, the young LCpl stepped back and saluted him-even though he was in civilian clothes, just an issue USMMA jacket, otherwise t-shirt and jeans. I was surprised.
I just wasn’t sure if the merchant marines were considered military or not, but completely forgot he is also in the navy. Hope that helps him with future purchases.

·
Registered
16,158 Posts
Before you rely on some newspaper report of Fl law, you or he, should go to the official FL gov site and read the law. Very often a news article leaves out critical info, such as the "carve out" for military mentioned in this article, which may not be a blanket carve out for all military.

Here's the official FL Govt. site pertaining to FL gun laws.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

·
Registered
15,440 Posts
Before you rely on some newspaper report of Fl law, you or he, should go to the official FL gov site and read the law. Very often a news article leaves out critical info, such as the "carve out" for military mentioned in this article, which may not be a blanket carve out for all military.

Here's the official FL Govt. site pertaining to FL gun laws.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine
Exactly. That’s why I pointed out I wasn’t familiar with the site, it’s just the first thing I found when searching for changes in Florida gun laws since the Parkland shooting.

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
The best-kept secret in the US military.
This year's class was HUGE. Our son's class started out with >220; only 170 or so graduated (2017). Most washed out or quit. At the USMMA they have trimesters, no summers "off", and get (1) their bachelor's degree in either marine engineering, marine logistics and security, marine transportation, marine engineering systems, marine engineering and shipyard management; (2) commission in the service branch of the midshipman's choice, ie, any branch, as a 2nd Lt. or in the equivalent in the USN, Ensign; (3) USCG rating as a 3rd mate or 3rd Engineer. Only service academy that does this. It is very tough academically; the mids get their degree in 3 years, not 4, since they spend literally an entire year at sea on various ships.
With his sea time and ship experience he expects to receive his papers for promotion to Lt. JG this month. Then it will be back to Norfolk for another round of PCI...

·
Registered
15,440 Posts
U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
The best-kept secret in the US military.
This year's class was HUGE. Our son's class started out with >220; only 170 or so graduated (2017). Most washed out or quit. At the USMMA they have trimesters, no summers "off", and get (1) their bachelor's degree in either marine engineering, marine logistics and security, marine transportation, marine engineering systems, marine engineering and shipyard management; (2) commission in the service branch of the midshipman's choice, ie, any branch, as a 2nd Lt. or in the equivalent in the USN, Ensign; (3) USCG rating as a 3rd mate or 3rd Engineer. Only service academy that does this. It is very tough academically; the mids get their degree in 3 years, not 4, since they spend literally an entire year at sea on various ships.
With his sea time and ship experience he expects to receive his papers for promotion to Lt. JG this month. Then it will be back to Norfolk for another round of PCI...
I’ve followed your posts about it in the past. Seems like a very unique option. I can’t honestly say I’d heard the term “merchant marines” since I was a kid, until your posts about it. The only reason I heard it back then was in an episode of Leave It To Beaver, Wally wants to join.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts