close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I want to build my own AR but terrified to do so.

Discussion in 'AR's, AK's, Silencers /Class III' started by Brother_Love, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Brother_Love

Brother_Love Distinguished Poster

Can a regular gun enthusiast like myself build his own AR? I want to try it myself but a little intimidated by the process. Have any of you built one without an extensive gunsmithing background? I am drooling over the 277 Wolverine.
    Thanks

Shrek and Sum Gy Custom Firearms like this.
  2. fordpkup

fordpkup Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Several people on here will be glad to help. One that comes to mind is Para40. Go for it.

3. SLBcmtr

SLBcmtr Got to get to the cabin

Yes ... go for it. Here's my first and only build. As fordpkup stated, Para40 can give
    some good advice.

First AR build - wanted something ordinary

My biggest fear was, "what if I booger something up" and "How do I do that"
    There are plenty of youtube videos. Watch 2 or 3 of them for guidance.

Don't worry about getting the best quality or cheapest stuff. If it is mil-spec, it should fit.

As for spending too much ... I realized before I built mine that I could buy one cheaper
    than building one ... but don't let that stop you. I hope my thread encourages you.

SIL keeps asking me, "when are 'we' going to build the next one"!!!

4. oldfart

oldfart Distinguished Poster

You can do it and if you run into any problems, plenty of folks here to help

5. jakeg823

jakeg823 Distinguished Poster

YouTube is your friend. If I can do it, anyone can. Promise! I've built 3, and have 2 more in the works.

Just be warned, unless you're serious about buying the cheapest, you won't save much money. For me it's become more about being able to justify the cost of a part here and there, and build it exactly how I want it, as opposed to a $1000-1500+ rifle in one blow, and still having to change things to suit my needs/preferences.

Shrek, 94LEVERFAN, SLBcmtr and 4 others like this.
  6. Brother_Love

Thanks guys! I am not worried about cost (up to a point). I just want to build a rifle like I want it that is not a "off the rack" gun. I have some "off the rack" guns but I want to build that special rifle just for me. I have read a lot about the .277 Wolverine and I like it. My second choice is the 25/45 Sharps as I have been keeping up with that thread. I will start getting a few parts together soon. I am more worried about headspacing than anything else. I plan to build an upper first and use one of my lowers until I build my own lower. Thanks again.

Shrek and fordpkup like this.
  7. Sum Gy Custom Firearms

Sum Gy Custom Firearms Distinguished Poster

For best headspacing order your bolt and barrel extension as a matched set!

Shrek, HotRod61 and fordpkup like this.
  8. blkout

blkout Distinguished Poster

Byram, MS
    :yeah:
    I was intimidated by it at first also so I bought a complete rifle. After taking it down and seeing how it went together I kicked myself in the butt for letting it intimidate me out of building my own. Plus it was not set up like I wanted it so I would have to replace parts to get it how I wanted it. Sold it and used to cash to fund parts for my build.

Like others said building will not save you a lot of money but will let you spread the cost out and let you get it set up like you want it.

I have attached a link to a very good series on building your own rifle including most commonly used tools, whish I had seen it before I bought a complete rifle it would have eased my nerves a lot.
    DIY AR-15 Build: Introduction, Parts and Tools Required

With the knowledge base here I bet you can overcome any issues if you have any.

9. chris_k

chris_k Distinguished Poster

I just built 6 this past month. I'm up to 10 total that I have built. All for me except one. I doubt that I will ever buy a factory built AR again. Be careful, it's addicting. My very first build was on a MSGO lower, from there I just kept going.

I learned on youtube lol,

Get yourself some roll pin punches, vice block for the upper and a magazine vice block (or you can use an old magazine that you will never use again).

I also like this tool, makes life easier:
    Amazon.com: Wheeler AR Pivot Pin/Roll Pin Install Tool 156243: Sports & Outdoors

And if you are going to be building uppers and doing anything with barrels, you will need a barrel wrench or a multi wrench.
    The only thing that I will ever buy from tapco.
    Tapco AR Armour's Tool TOOL0905: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
    It's a good wrench.

My latest builds (top to bottom)
    M16a1 clone
    SOCOM profile mid length
    Dissipator (mock)
    300BLK SBR
    M4 Clone
    M16a4 clone
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shrek, 22lrfan, CajunBP and 2 others like this.
  10. chris_k

chris_k Distinguished Poster

Also, I will say that on all of those builds I posted, I just found the uppers I wanted. Right now they are just cheaper to buy already assembled than to build it your self. On the first 2-3 builds I did I assembled the uppers. www.Palmettostatearmory.com has pretty much been my go to source lately. Check out their daily deals.

I've always gotten pretty good stuff from them, however I will say that my front sight on my dissipator is canted. It might not be bad enough to effect accuracy, but I'm probably going to be sending it back.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  11. Brother_Love

Thank you all. I am still doing research to see what I want before I build. I was looking at the .277 Wolverine but it looks like the 6.8 SPC would be about the same ballistics and the components are easier to find (and less expensive). Decisions, decisions.

I want something I can plink with, put venison on the table & a defensive weapon too.

12. rcpylon

rcpylon Distinguished Poster

no one has asked this question yet: do you consider yourself mechanically competent? ie can you field strip what you have now and clean it? do you have any tools? there are a few specialty tools needed (previous post listed some). If however you struggle with changing a light bulb, steer clear! :)

as for the process, you really need a local you can consult with for any issues that come up. its easier when the videos and books just don't answer your question. I did not find it difficult (i am mechanically capable) but there are a few tricks to getting a few things just right as well as a few specialty tools that make it easier. I bought the

Wheeler Engineering Delta Series AR-15 Armorer's Professional Kit

and found it very handy. I already had a few gunsmithing items and this has a few tools with it plus it was handy to use it while building mine. all in all, dont fear doing it, its fun and at worst, you may tear something up but it probably can be replaced. I mainly did it to try it and it does save some money when you have specific items chosen for it vs upgrading a stock one.

13. gunsinger

gunsinger Distinguished Poster

Petal, MS
    Just last weekend I did my first build. It was an assembled upper from PSA, a lower receiver, and lower receiver parts kit. So maybe that's a "partial" build. Point it, it was fairly simple to do by following directions found on youtube. Brownell's offers a series of how to's as well.

Go for it. Very rewarding.

14. Rw

Rw Distinguished Poster

An ar is like a lego kit for a gun nut, they are pretty simple to build. Youtube is your friend for if/when you get into a jam on something.

Shrek, 22lrfan, chris_k and 1 other person like this.
  15. slickyboyboo

slickyboyboo Distinguished Poster

Clinton
    There is nothing to it, it is a breeze to build your own. Plus you will have a full understanding of how your gun works, when you are finished.

Shrek likes this.
  16. nonnieselman

nonnieselman Nocturnal Specialties

Did you get your AR assembled yet?
    277 wolverine is a really good round.

Sent from my hiding place