close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

If you are confused about the new permitless MS concealed Carry

Discussion in 'Mississippi Gun Laws' started by Squeezer, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Squeezer

Squeezer Distinguished Poster

IF YOU ARE CONFUSED ABOUT MS CONCEALED... - Mississippi Association of Chiefs of Police | Facebook

IF YOU ARE CONFUSED ABOUT MS CONCEALED CARRY...
    Places You CAN NOT Legally Carry Pursuant to the New Permitless Carry Law
    Anywhere outside the State of MS
    Any place of nuisance as defined in Section 95-3-1
    Any police, sheriff or highway patrol station
    Any detention facility, prison or jail
    Any courthouse
    Any courtroom, except that nothing in this section shall preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his/her courtroom
    Any polling place
    Any meeting place of the governing body of any governmental entity
    Any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof
    Any public park
    Any school, college or professional athletic event
    Any parade
    Any portion of an establishment, licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages
    Any portion of an establishment in which beer or light wine is consumed on the premises
    Any elementary or secondary school facility
    Any junior college, community college, college or university facility
    Inside the passenger terminal of any airport
    Any church or other place of worship
    Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law
    The carrying of a concealed pistol or revolver may be disallowed in any place at the discretion of the person or entity exercising control over the physical location of such place by the placing of a written notice clearly readable at a distance of not less than ten (10) feet that the "carrying of a pistol or revolver is prohibited."
    Places You CAN NOT Legally Carry with the Basic Firearms Permit according to Section 45-9-101(13)..Yes they are the SAME places as listed above.
    =======================================
    Places You CAN NOT Carry with Standard Permit
    With the Enhanced Endorsement. Believe it or not...these are the only places!
    Any place off limits by federal law.
    Courtrooms only when court is in session.
    Any police, sheriff or highway patrol station.
    Any detention facility, prison or jail.
    Any place of nuisance. Places of nuisance as defined in Section 95-3-1 are any place upon which lewdness, assignation or prostitution is conducted, permitted.

This information was orginally posted by Chief Curtis of Yazoo City.

L Smith, Cliff731, melmerf and 2 others like this.
  2. DoyleAlley

DoyleAlley Distinguished Poster

Dang, no carrying in the whorehouse. :groan:

L Smith, Cliff731, melmerf and 4 others like this.

3. GunnyGene

GunnyGene Distinguished Poster

The Yazoo Chief put his own spin on this by leaving out key phrases in several areas, including the following:

"Any portion of an establishment, licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages"
    "Any portion of an establishment in which beer or light wine is consumed on the premises"
    ************************************************************************************
    The actual wording per the statute is: "any portion of an establishment, licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, that is primarily devoted to dispensing alcoholic beverages; any portion of an establishment in which beer or light wine is consumed on the premises, that is primarily devoted to such purpose."

Which means you may carry in your favorite restaurant if they aren't posted as a no gun establishment, as long as you don't sit in the bar area ( if they have a bar.) Olive Garden for example is perfectly fine for carry as are most others.

My advise is to ignore his Facebook post, and read the law. The Chief is just contributing to the confusion, not clarifying it. The law itself is perfectly clear. :mad:

PS: To make myself perfectly clear, the Law is not what some Police Chief or Sheriff says it is. The Law is what the Legislative Process says it is; and if there is a dispute about it, it's up to a Court to sort it out, not LE. As far as I know we are still innocent until proven guilty.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  4. park duck

park duck Active Member

Indeed, someone needs to take these jacklegs to court over this crap

5. Squeezer

Squeezer Distinguished Poster

Any he lists "any public park" as a forbidden location. SB 2862 in 2010 removed public parks. http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/2010/pdf/history/SB/SB2862.xml

6. sand_man

sand_man Grouchy Old Fart MSGO Supporter

They feel as if they ARE the law and what they want should be in stone!

7. GunnyGene

8. Tate

Tate Member

Question for y'all. I'm 20 and have been shooting all my life. I conceal my handgun in my truck all the time. With the new bill passing and allowing to conceal without a permit am I allowed to conceal my weapon places outside of my truck/home? Thanks in advance.

9. GunnyGene

Yes. Have you read the bill/law? That's step number 1. :)

10. Tate

Tate Member

I've read it and I figured I was able to, but was unclear whether if you were still required to be 21 to conceal your weapon outside of your property. Thanks for the response

11. GunnyGene

The age limitations only apply to obtaining a license/permit. However, the location limitations apply regardless.

Tate and Sum Gy Custom Firearms like this.
  12. DoyleAlley

DoyleAlley Distinguished Poster

And buying a handgun or ammo from a FFL. There is this big "sort of" area between age 18 and age 21.

Sum Gy Custom Firearms and Tate like this.
  13. GunnyGene

True. But the OP he already has guns and ammo. Not my business how, where, or when he got them. I assume legally, or he wouldn't be asking questions on the forum. ;)

L Smith, 94LEVERFAN, 95 taco and 4 others like this.
  14. p moore

p moore Distinguished Poster

I have been suprised at the lack of uproar with the passing of this bill. I am sure it is just a lack of attention and not acceptance. But hey, I am good with that as well.

Paul

15. 95 taco

95 taco Blessed are the peacemakers

I'm 19 and have legally purchased handguns (E.G., my daily carry, a full size M&P 40 with a TLR-1 in a level 3 holster), I order ammo online, no problems.
    If I buy ammo locally I tell them that it's for a carbine (only if they ask, because it's none of their damn business and the law only restricts law abiding citizens) and it's not an issue.

1010, Boudreaux, L Smith and 5 others like this.
  16. chris_k

chris_k Distinguished Poster

If your old enough to to fight and die for our country you should be able to buy a freaking gun and be able to drink! (Not advisable to do at the same time!)

1010, L Smith, bucmeister and 5 others like this.
  17. Darth Sillious

Darth Sillious Active Member

Because the bill was signed into law right after the religious freedoms bill it was almost masked from any widespread attention. This is a good thing.

L Smith, Jarhead5811, Tate and 2 others like this.
  18. bucmeister

bucmeister Distinguished Poster

SW-MS
    Thinking the Federal law says 21 to purchase and 18 to possess.

L Smith likes this.
  19. GunnyGene

That, and the media is consumed with election news for the past few months and into Nov.

20. Cliff731

Cliff731 Danged ole' Hermit...

For what it's worth, I've heard the Yazoo City Chief of Police speak on the nightly news (WLBT 3) recently and he comes across as a very level headed and reasonable guy.

The problems he is dealing with in his town are a rash of shootings and killings in local "bars" and "clubs" recently... I think it was 5 people in the recent few weeks who were shot and subsequently died.

I suspect he just wants to keep guns out of the "clubs" and "honky tonks" in Yazoo City as clearly the "clientele" who frequent these places will "pop a cap" on one another once they start drinking and the socializing part goes south.

There's very few "quality" restaurants in the town of Yazoo City that serve beer or liquor with a meal... and if you are carrying concealed in one of those and acting in a responsible manner, I don't think you'll ever have a problem.

I'll cut the man some slack if he's guilty of some word omission in regards to non-permit concealed carry when mixed with alcohol and some of the more passionate local gentry in the city's juke joints... he just wants to curb the growing body count.