Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Rational Anarchist
14,944 Posts
I’ve only ever owned one lever gun, a Marlin 30-30. It was fine and always got the job done. I’d be fine if that were the only deer rifle I owned.

I’d like to have a lever rifle/revolver combo. A .357 or .44mag set one day but I probably never will. I also kind of like the idea .45-70 lever gun, but not living in bear country I don’t much see the point.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I like 35 Rem and several others (mainly 32 Win Spl) but if I can only choose 1 it would be 30.30 simply because lots of rifles to choose from and plenty of ammo (normally available)
I have several 30.30 lever rifles but my favorite is an old glenfield I have. It is not as pretty as my pre 64 model 94 Winchester, or near as expensive as my Henry, or even as desirable as the several 336 marlins I have. I will tell you What it is, a fine shooter that is often overlooked in the world of lever guns.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I like 35 Rem and several others (mainly 32 Win Spl) but if I can only choose 1 it would be 30.30 simply because lots of rifles to choose from and plenty of ammo (normally available)
I have several 30.30 lever rifles but my favorite is an old glenfield I have. It is not as pretty as my pre 64 model 94 Winchester, or near as expensive as my Henry, or even as desirable as the several 336 marlins I have. I will tell you What it is, a fine shooter that is often overlooked in the world of lever guns.
It's a Marlin. Cheaper wood made for JC Penny back in the day. Always said if I came across a one in good condition at a fair price I'd be hard pressed to pass it by.

·
MSGO Court Jester
43,326 Posts
That's a big IF. But in that situation, a straight stock Marlin 336 in .30-30. Fortunately, I can have more than one. I have the 1895 Marlin .45-70 and an old 94 Winchester, but I still want two 1894 Marlins, one in .44 Mag and one in .45 Colt, preferably older ones. And I still want that straight stock 336.

·
Registered
195 Posts
That's a big IF. But in that situation, a straight stock Marlin 336 in .30-30. Fortunately, I can have more than one. I have the 1895 Marlin .45-70 and an old 94 Winchester, but I still want two 1894 Marlins, one in .44 Mag and one in .45 Colt, preferably older ones. And I still want that straight stock 336.
I much prefer the pistol grip stocks. Readily available in Uberti 1873's - not so much in Marlin 1894's or Winchester 1892's.

I would love to have a Marlin 1894 in 45 Colt with a pistol grip stock. To my knowledge, they've never been made in that configuration. The recent trend is also to make big loop levers. Can't stand them, either.

I believe a Marlin 1894, Winchester 1892 or Winchester 1873 (or modern reproduction) in .357 Mag, .44 Mag or .45 Colt would make an awesome deer gun at the ranges we normally have in S. MS.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Those calibers (.357, .44, and 45LC) are on my list of lever guns I want. I don't care the make, I just like pistol caliber rifles. @patchz we seem to have similar taste as well as sense of humor
Come to a Cowboy Action Shooting match in Mendenhall and you'll get a chance to look at/shoot all three of those calibers, possibly by each maker (except for .44 Mag, Uberti has only recently made the 1873 in .44 Mag and they are very difficult to find).

We're shooting Saturday, 18 September. Range opens at 0800, shooting starts at 0900.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts