Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I bought a Springfield XDM M factor...not the XD...mine is a 40 S&W.

What I liked most about the piece was the way it fit my hand with the #1 (small) grip panel in. One of the big reasons I've always stayed away from double stack magged guns was due to my small hands. If you can't hold it right you aint gonna shoot it right...I like the short reset on the trigger also.

This gun fits my hand and it's has a pretty impressive amount of 40 cal firepower with a 16 rd mag and one in the pipe. Strap 2 spare mags in a carrier on your belt and you are good to go.

Strangely, I have not had the time to shoot it yet. :(

I'm wondering who else has one and what your impressions of it are. I own several Glocks and love them all...but I think Springfield is gonna spank Glock for a while with these. This thing is an ergonomic dream come true.

Your thoughts....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,137 Posts
Don't have one myself, but do have a Glock 19 that I like. I've handled the XD (not M) in gun stores, and like the feel of it.

You can read just about anything online, but it seems many owners like the grip angle and compare it with the 1911 angle pretty favorably. I like the way my 1911 feels waaay better than my Glock, but when the need arose, I wouldn't feel undergunned with the 15+1 I get from the 19. I'd say you're pretty well assured of not having to do a mag change with your 16+1 setup, unless you pick a fight with the whole gang at once!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The M factor guns feel different to me than the XD's..another plus on the XDM is the different barrel configuration...suppose to be "match grade"

Man I love a Glock 19...was gonna buy one until I ran across this...

I have a Glock 26 in 9mm and a Glock 36 slim 45 that is very nice

May have to get that 19+1 XDM in 9mm!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
879 Posts
No experience with the XDM but I like my XD-45 better than all 5 Glocks I had. The Glocks were good but feel more comfortable with the grip safety.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,822 Posts
I am a Glock fan to the core, that being said. I checked out the XDM and the XD, which dealers are pushing now hard for some reason. I am not a fan of the grip safety at all. The XDM felt better than the XD, but I'll stick with my Glocks. (LEFT TURN) I tried the M&P40 as well and just don't like it. Its for sale.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GunOneDown,

"I am not a fan of the grip safety at all"

I have read others on another forum who had the same comment and was wondering if you would elaborate..

Personally I can take it or leave it....Dealing with safety is mainly a "training issue".

When I attended Gunsite a few yrs back...(They are 45 ACP 1911 Bigots) they told us "The safety is between your ears"...

Just what is "the issue" with Springfield including a grip safety?

Just want to know your thoughts....
Thx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,428 Posts
Richard dettlehouser is a grandmaster "production class" uspsa shooter. His web add is www.canyoncreekcustom.com. I am getting a trigger job to 2.5 lbs, the creep and reset adjusted, the barrel refitted, and a few other things. It will turn the gun into a dream piece.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,822 Posts
msredneck, I just dont like the feel of the grip safety. another moving part as well. just a thought! say when it hits the fan, one would never be able to shoot the "grip safety" if the gun were upside down. try this. my theory and yes everyone has one is your finger is the only safety to worry about. you should try hold the gun in every possible shooting way and see if possible and do a bit of dry-fire. Knowing what your going to do is the key to surviving. this is just my thoughts. sorry for rambling.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,137 Posts
Rbelote, this guy does work mostly on XD's, or anything?

Ain't my bidness, but what will it cost me to get comparable customization done to an XD sent to him?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,428 Posts
Mainly Xds and 1911s. It is around 300 and change with shipping. He has prices posted on his site, and he is very resonable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,428 Posts
I agree you have to train in many fashions, but I also call bull on this one. It is a reason just to down an xd from a Glock lover or soemthing. YOu may handle one individual with your gun upside down, but not 2 or more. I think I can atleast grab my gun right side up in an altercation.


GunOneDown said:
msredneck, I just dont like the feel of the grip safety. another moving part as well. just a thought! say when it hits the fan, one would never be able to shoot the "grip safety" if the gun were upside down. try this. my theory and yes everyone has one is your finger is the only safety to worry about. you should try hold the gun in every possible shooting way and see if possible and do a bit of dry-fire. Knowing what your going to do is the key to surviving. this is just my thoughts. sorry for rambling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,822 Posts
rbelote, do you think the XD could hold up to the Glock Torture Test? maybe maybe not. I tried the XD and didn't like it. I just stated one opinion (mine) on the XD. Your opinion is different and it is respected as yours. what about mud or sand getting in the grip safety and it not being able to be depressed? Yes, I am a Glocker, but I don't wear blinders and am open to trying other guns and do own different ones besides Glock. Bull if you want just my opinion. :D :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ya'll be cool 8)

we love ALL guns...Remember...I gots a drawer full of Glocks and they go with me in harms way many times....

My tried and true 1911 has a grip safety......Properly maintained and trained on....neither of the above has ever let me down.

Peace :F1:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,428 Posts
Haha Yeah man be easy. I respect your opinion and agree with the majority of it. I have 4 glocks, and I have more on order. They are probably the best carry weapon ever, but the Xd is not far behind. THe tolerances on the grip safety are not so tight that mud or sand would bother it. The xdm has a few more internal parts than the older styles, so they may be a little more picky. I only plan on using my m series for comeptition. I shoot hundreds of rounds out of my guns when I go to the range, and none of my xds have checked up.


GunOneDown said:
rbelote, do you think the XD could hold up to the Glock Torture Test? maybe maybe not. I tried the XD and didn't like it. I just stated one opinion (mine) on the XD. Your opinion is different and it is respected as yours. what about mud or sand getting in the grip safety and it not being able to be depressed? Yes, I am a Glocker, but I don't wear blinders and am open to trying other guns and do own different ones besides Glock. Bull if you want just my opinion. :D :thumbup:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,137 Posts
No reason to get riled up around here, we all agree that the 1911 is the ubergun, and all others are vying for a distant second place. No reason to be less than civil and generous to one another at this point.... :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,428 Posts
THe 1911 and 2011 are the best frames for competition, but they are just ok for defense. :lol!:

slabsides45 said:
No reason to get riled up around here, we all agree that the 1911 is the ubergun, and all others are vying for a distant second place. No reason to be less than civil and generous to one another at this point.... :thumbup:
 
1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Top