Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If some of you have a, um, family member who uses hair coloring products, ask if they use all of the little tools/accessories that come in the package. Some are quite useful for cleaning firearms. I was given these yesterday, she saves these for me whenever she opens a package.
Wood Hand tool Tool Material property Kitchen utensil

·
Premium Member
Let's go shoot some, we dont want to wound anything.
6,814 Posts
Great idea. No good to throw away something that is perfect for other uses. I found a case that my ex-wife left in a closet 28 years ago. It was Mary Kay , little brushes acessories,for putting on makeup.

Reactions: HerrZnk

·
MSGO Court Jester
43,860 Posts
I've been saving toothbrushes I replaced for years. They come in handy.

·
Premium Member
6,814 Posts
I buy Q-TIPS by the 300 piece boxes. I keep one in the shop and a spare in the house. I bought a set of 3 dental cleaning tools from Numrich almost 15 years ago. I have actually had a person in my shop ask me what these are for?
Oh I am a retired dentist, :)

Reactions: Pogo57 and patchz

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I buy Q-TIPS by the 300 piece boxes. I keep one in the shop and a spare in the house. I bought a set of 3 dental cleaning tools from Numrich almost 15 years ago. I have actually had a person in my shop ask me what these are for?
Oh I am a retired dentist, :)
I cut off a q-tip end, an inch or so, and stick it into the end of a old Winchester cleaning rod, to clean the barrel of my 17hmr. Picked that up on Rimfire Central. Works well.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Also , the wooden swab/q tip sticks work good for slave pins on some assemblies also, easy to cut to length.

·
MSGO Court Jester
43,860 Posts
Reactions: DEADEYE 1

·
Premium Member
6,814 Posts
A good friend of mine going back about 45 years was crossing a creek couple years back and dropped his deer rifle into the muddy water. It had mud all in it so he took the stock off and gave the gun a bath in the bath tub. Several months later when the gun would not shoot, he brought it to me. Yes we clean guns and some folks give them a bath. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not really improvised, but a different way to use a cleaning rod. Did you know that Hoppes makes a flex pistol rod? If you've ever fooled with one of those ratchet chamber cleaning tools for the M1 Garand, M1A/M14 (or really any semiauto rifle) then you know how difficult it is to clean a chamber. A flex pistol rod with a chamber brush makes it easy to clean from the rear of the rifle.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,814 Posts
During deer season I dont use any solvent inside the barrels of my rifles. I examine them regularly and will only use a dry patch.I will use a light coat of oil on the outside of the blued rifles after handling.Ya,ll know the reason, oil changes point of impact for several shots after a good cleaning with solvent or oil inside the barrel. My old 270 will shoot about 8 inches high at 100 yards after a good cleaning and come back down with each shot until the oil residue is shot out, burned up, or disappeared.Some may not move that high and some may move more.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts