Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are guys on here who collect these revolvers and are very knowledgeable about them. I have an opportunity to acquire an Airweight .38 special CTG and would like to know 2 things about it. 1. The age( year made) and 2. The value of the gun. The serial no. is 52915 and there is another no. 10793 under the cylinder. Can someone help me?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The man who has this gun says he’s had it for 50 years. He’s elderly and I have no reason to doubt him.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I opened the cylinder and have looked with a magnifying glass everywhere and don’t see any numbers other than what I typed earlier.

·
MSGO Court Jester
39,401 Posts
Wasn't the model 12 an airweight K frame?

Reactions: Steve C and maxhush

·
Registered
10,523 Posts
Wasn't the model 12 an airweight K frame?
Yup, if it's an airweight K frame six shot, in .38 Special, my guess would be what would probably be referred to as a pre Model 12 (I believe actual model number stamping, under the crane, commonly didn't happen until the 50s or 60s and I tend to recall that it began in the 60s). If it's a 5-shot .38Spl, J-frame airweight, that would likely be a pre Model 37. If you can get access to a copy of Roy Jinks "History of Smith and Wesson", you'd probably be able to get a fair idea of what it is and possibly a vague idea of when it was made. Sometimes you can find serial number lists online with a Google search (Looking up Colt 1903, 32ACP semi-auto pocket pistols by serial number and year of production is fairly easy, as an example).

I saw a copy (pub 1977 edition) for sale (used) on Amazon (apparently there may be a 2006 update edition as well).

·
Super Moderator
8,048 Posts
The man who has this gun says he’s had it for 50 years. He’s elderly and I have no reason to doubt him.
If this is the case, then it makes sense that there's no model number in the crane/yoke area. S&W didn't assign & start stamping model numbers until 1957. Before then, everything had a Model Name (i.e. Military & Police, Chief's Special, Bodyguard, Centennial, Highway Patrolman, Target Masterpiece, Combat Masterpiece, etc.). Pre-1957 models are identified by the absence of a model number stamped inside the yoke area, visible when the cylinder is open. I know this, because, as a collector, any Smith revolver WITHOUT a model number stamping has been C&R eligible since 2007. :D:D:D

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,023 Posts
If this is the case, then it makes sense that there's no model number in the crane/yoke area. S&W didn't assign & start stamping model numbers until 1957. Before then, everything had a Model Name (i.e. Military & Police, Chief's Special, Bodyguard, Centennial, Highway Patrolman, Target Masterpiece, Combat Masterpiece, etc.). Pre-1957 models are identified by the absence of a model number stamped inside the yoke area, visible when the cylinder is open. I know this, because, as a collector, any Smith revolver WITHOUT a model number stamping has been C&R eligible since 2007. :D:D:D
Uh 2019 minus 50 years is when? 1969ish ? And they started in 1957 ish.....
So depending when he bought it?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any idea how I can find the year made and the value? Also, what does CTG stand for, after Airweight 38 special?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Any idea how I can find the year made and the value? Also, what does CTG stand for, after Airweight 38 special?

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,023 Posts
I’ve had good luck going to the Smith and Wesson forum posting pics and asking. The guys there are really good about helping find the year of manufacture. But pics are a must.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts