Inform police if carrying a firearm??

Discussion in 'Mississippi Gun Laws' started by Clete, May 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Clete

Clete Distinguished Poster

Is it required to inform a police officer that you have a firearm inside your car if pullover?

2. GunnyGene

GunnyGene Distinguished Poster

No. In MS they assume everybody is. That said, there's no rule against telling them either, and many folks will tell them that there is and sometimes where it is, out of politeness. Be careful how you word it if you do. You don't want to sound confrontational or threatening. Ask him/her what he/she would like you to do to avoid any misunderstanding.

Your call.

3. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

There is no "duty to inform" in MS, but you must inform in Louisiana. I would have to check about other contiguous states. I know this for LA because we have a good number of people come up to our club in SW MS from LA to take our NRA classes to qualify for the LA CCW permits.

4. Vick

Vick Distinguished Poster

Note, if you're involved in a traffic stop and have a concealed carry license, they will know this before they get out of the patrol car.

5. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

True, your permit # is the same as your driver's license #.

6. TheBouncer1111

TheBouncer1111 Distinguished Poster

...assuming the Driver and the Vehicle Owner are one and the same.

7. sand_man

sand_man Grouchy Old Fart MSGO Supporter

Best thing is say as little as possible. If you don't have a permit then just keep answers to specific questions. Keep your hands in sight at all times and make no sudden or threatening moves. Just take the ticket and if you want to dispute do it in court not on side of the road.

8. Vick

Vick Distinguished Poster

:lol4: Yeah, I was assuming that you aren't driving a stolen car!

Mesquite likes this.
  9. TheBouncer1111

TheBouncer1111 Distinguished Poster

could be a son or daughter driving your car

I know "my" first three cars had my dad or my moms name on the title.

10. doctor duck

doctor duck Distinguished Poster

I don't mean to sound dumb, but how do they know you have a concealed carry licence just by pulling you over?

rigrat likes this.
  11. GunnyGene

They run your license plate, which is tied in to the CCW data base, among other things. Technology. However, not everyone that carries has a CCW. I don't, so I'm not in that DB.

maxhush, 94LEVERFAN and 1010 like this.
  12. 2DARK2C

2DARK2C Distinguished Poster

when pulled over turn your radio off and put it in park, turn it off. keep your hands on the wheel at 10 and 2 , and the officer will ask you if you have any weapons in the car. don't go into any compartment with a gun in it to retrieve your registration or insurance card (I keep mine in my visor via a cd holder and get them when asked) I also keep my wallet in a pocket with no gun in it :) and only retrieve it when asked.

4x4moses, 22lrfan, Mesquite and 2 others like this.
  13. CajunBP

CajunBP Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

A great response...the hands on the wheel should be a clear message to the officer, even though most officers assume there is a gun in the car anyway. Your thoughtfulness may even help you get out of the ticket!

14. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Distinguished Poster

I know a guy who has a PhD in engineering, flies all over the world and has made a ton of money in his life.

He also deer hunts and has guns and reloads.

He told me that he got stopped for rolling through a stop sign a while back.

He said that he got out of his truck (bad idea) and when the officer asked if he had a weapon, he said, "Yes, sir. There is one under the seat, one in the center console, one in the glove box, and I have one in my pocket."

He said that the officer just warned him and let him go.

15. onlymaroonmatters

onlymaroonmatters Eat Sleep Jeep & Guns MSGO Supporter

Laurel
    Not saying anything unless I'm asked to get out. Then I will inform him/her that I am exercising my right to carry and that I have enhanced permit and where it is. Will never use the G word. Other than that I'm not saying anything. Like stated above, they prob come to expect majority of folks to have one.

16. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

Is it tied to your license plate or your drivers license? I know last time I was pulled over only he never mentioned anything about if I had a concealed weapon until after returning from his car with my drivers license. That is when he asked me if I had one, not when he first pulled me over. He also told me that I needed to tell the officers to which I politely stated it was not required by law but understood his concern. I do not tell unless asked.

Maybe one of our LEO's here on the forum can clarify this.

17. GunnyGene

Doesn't really have to be a direct link. Plate->name->DL->CCW . Modern DB's can vacuum up info from practically anywhere. He could probably tell you your credit score among other things. Your reg. & DL just verifies what he probably already knows or suspects.

LeansVeryRight2016 and rigrat like this.
  18. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

I realize this is so, but just stating he never mentioned it until he ran my drivers license. Thats when he wanted to know is I had a concealed carry on me and for my permit.

19. stewbaby

stewbaby Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter