Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Look what @phillipd brought to me this past weekend. Testing out some prototypes for ingot molds.

These are 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 5 inches. They work great but we came up with a few refinements. These are 5 inches long and drop at 1.35 pounds. If they went to 5.5 inches they should drop close to 1.5 pounds. The shape works great to put in your pot without having to plunk them in and splash lead on you. Also, since these are all new steel and not rusted/corroded, had to put some mold release on them to release the ingots easily. Also, going to angle the ends slightly to make sure the ends don't mechanically lock in the ingots by chance.

Great work Phillip. Now just get me 8 more made and I'll have plenty to tackle the 3,000 lbs of range scrap I might decide to get from my friend. These should really help me store my lead without having to find containers for them. That would be a big plus to using this mold for me.

IMG_2887.jpg
IMG_2889.JPG
IMG_2888.jpg

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Phillip; put me on the list for two of these please.

·
Premium Member
15,003 Posts
Yours have been allowed to rust a little. So, you can probably get by without any release agent.
What do you use? Please elaborate on what issues you’ve had.

I guess I hadn’t figured on using any because I never have on anything else I’ve used. Mostly cast iron cookware and aluminum Lee ingot molds with a muffin pan or two.
Now I’m curious 🤨
Thanks a lot Mr Ed! 🤦‍♂️

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Frankford arsenal drop out bullet release. Looks like flat black paint but doesn't peel from the heat. Only used it on these because I didn't have a couple of weeks to sit them outside to rust.

·
Premium Member
15,003 Posts
Frankford arsenal drop out bullet release. Looks like flat black paint but doesn't peel from the heat. Only used it on these because I didn't have a couple of weeks to sit them outside to rust.
Bet it’s graphite or something graphite based! I use spray graphite on some stuff. I use it on the ledge of my shot dripper to help keep the drops from smearing and making a horribly deformed lead ball. Also use it on the Lyman pellet slug molds cavity pin. Keeps it from sticking in the lead skirt as bad. Good stuff.
Haven’t been spraying ingot molds or reg bullet molds tho.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Look what @phillipd brought to me this past weekend. Testing out some prototypes for ingot molds.

These are 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 5 inches. They work great but we came up with a few refinements. These are 5 inches long and drop at 1.35 pounds. If they went to 5.5 inches they should drop close to 1.5 pounds. The shape works great to put in your pot without having to plunk them in and splash lead on you. Also, since these are all new steel and not rusted/corroded, had to put some mold release on them to release the ingots easily. Also, going to angle the ends slightly to make sure the ends don't mechanically lock in the ingots by chance.

Great work Phillip. Now just get me 8 more made and I'll have plenty to tackle the 3,000 lbs of range scrap I might decide to get from my friend. These should really help my store my lead without having to find containers for them. That would be a big plus to using this mold for me.

View attachment 261165 View attachment 261166 View attachment 261167
Very cool

·
MSGO Court Jester
41,553 Posts
I like the shape the ingots end up in. Good stackability.

·
Registered
7,388 Posts
My ingot mold is a cornbread stick cast aluminum pan. Each stick weights about a pound. Can start a 10 lb pot with 8 sticks.
Got some bed rail I need to cut and weld for more ingot molds.
Storage, they stack well in milk crates.
Moving. milk crates don't move very well with that much weight. I lost 2 and went to 40 ingots per bucket.
Wood crates, I built a few that will store about 40 pounds. Got some new scrap lumber and the ingots won't fit inside like the old ones. Old 1x6 lumber is 5 3/4 wide, new is 5 1/4 wide.

·
Premium Member
15,003 Posts
@Soonered finally used mine.
@phillipd
Worked well but with my bottom pour pot.......they give the wrist and forearm a pretty good workout. Didnt have much time to do this so I was a little hurried 😂
Some hadn’t set up long enough before I dumped them. I ain’t looking to win any beauty contests with them anyhow,long as the furnaces will consume them......I’m good.
06C917E9-3414-472E-8230-EDB56A9D6C7F.jpeg

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@oO_Rogue_Oo the two prototypes Phillip made me are 5 inches and drop around 1.35 pounds. He's making me 8 more with refinements from the prototypes. The sides angled 5-10 degrees to help with ingot release plus 5.5 inches as that should put them around 1.5 pounds. I put mine on a table next to the casing pot and ladle in. Once they solidify enough to move, I put them on a damp towel on the concrete. These brings them down to where I can dump them in about 5 minutes without the "impatient" wrinkles.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
38,417 Posts
I would have went for 4" on the ingot molds putting the ingot at about 1lb each. But thats just me.

Reactions: phillipd

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rig

The good thing about the 5.5 inch is it’s just long enough to put in a pro melt 20 lb pot without dropping them in and splattering lead. The 4 inch are to short to gently put in without splattering unless you use tongs to hold the ingot. I think the 4 inch would be better for a smaller 10 lb pot so don’t pull down them temp as much.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
38,417 Posts
Rig

The good thing about the 5.5 inch is it’s just long enough to put in a pro melt 20 lb pot without dropping them in and splattering lead. The 4 inch are to short to gently put in without splattering unless you use tongs to hold the ingot. I think the 4 inch would be better for a smaller 10 lb pot so don’t pull down them temp as much.
Thats what I have is the smaller 10# er. I hadn't thought about them dropping in and splattering though. Guess I'll go to the dollar store and get a cheap tong to use if needed.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts