Mississippi Gun Owners banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 · (Edited)
Thanks - just added that to the grocery list for later today!
The graphite spray really helped with release of the ingots on the prototypes. But, then again, you could just leave them out in the rain and let them rust real good. I however like the nice clean look of the graphite instead of rust color.

·
Super Moderator
13,567 Posts
Off topic, some. But where do you guys find your lead ? There is a fellow in Laurel who has tons, but it ain’t really on my way to anywhere.
Depends on what type you’re looking for. You can try scrap yards and get anything from wheel weights to pure lead. Tire shops will usually sell or give away wheel weights. I haven’t bought any recently and the last ton I bought was already alloyed into ingots with tin and antimony. There was a member on here awhile back that had a source for pure lead from x ray rooms but I can’t remember his name at the moment.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
38,417 Posts
Off topic, some. But where do you guys find your lead ? There is a fellow in Laurel who has tons, but it ain’t really on my way to anywhere.
I'm close to Laurel whats his name and how much?

·
Registered
7,388 Posts
I found his ad on marketplace under sinkers. I looked at lead too. He wants $2.60 for a 16 oz sinker which isn't bad since lead ingots are $2.50 and up per lb. I found some rough plumbers lead for $1 per lb, no shipping. White Hall, AR that's between Pine Bluff and Little Rock.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I had rather deal with someone local. Ellisville isn’t on my way to anywhere, LOL. But if I can hook up with him, I will. Planning a trip to Mobile, I could take a more scenic route.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
38,417 Posts
$2.50/ lb?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well, I don’t know for sure but…..I just ordered five 5lb. ingots of Plumber’s lead from SouthernPipe.com for $6.41 per ingot plus tax. That’s a $1.28 per pound. This of course is shipped for $12. But once I put in my credit card info, it said shipping was free.
So it is either $32.05 including taxes with free shipping or $47.13 with shipping. To my door.
A counter guy at Southern pipe in Meridian quoted my a price of $3.62 per pound and said he had only 7 pounds on hand. Plus Meridian is a 45 mile drive.
Seems a lot cheaper online.

Let’s give this a few days and see how long this is going to take and if the price is correct.

I’ll post when I know something.
Mitch

·
μολὼν λαβέ
38,417 Posts
It would seem the guy in Meridian is running a scam charging more than the company sells it for and more than likely pocketing the extra.
Certainly seems strange they would charge different from what the company lists on its Online sales.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
38,417 Posts
Well, I don’t know for sure but…..I just ordered five 5lb. ingots of Plumber’s lead from SouthernPipe.com for $6.41 per ingot plus tax. That’s a $1.28 per pound. This of course is shipped for $12. But once I put in my credit card info, it said shipping was free.
So it is either $32.05 including taxes with free shipping or $47.13 with shipping. To my door.
A counter guy at Southern pipe in Meridian quoted my a price of $3.62 per pound and said he had only 7 pounds on hand. Plus Meridian is a 45 mile drive.
Seems a lot cheaper online.

Let’s give this a few days and see how long this is going to take and if the price is correct.

I’ll post when I know something.
Mitch

Thats why I said the $2.50 is inflated price. The price is $6.41 /5lb ingot. It was $5 something a few months back when I emailed them about the price and size of the ingot which was mis-labeled as a pound. They told me it was for a 5lb ingot.

Reactions: Emmit

·
Registered
139 Posts
It seems like everyone is digging into your pocket, even scrap dealers. They are only paying up to a buck a pound for it.

I went to tree tire places yesterday to inquire about used wheel weights, they all seemed as if they had gold. LOL They can keep their treasure. I just want lead.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
38,417 Posts
It seems like everyone is digging into your pocket, even scrap dealers. They are only paying up to a buck a pound for it.

I went to tree tire places yesterday to inquire about used wheel weights, they all seemed as if they had gold. LOL They can keep their treasure. I just want lead.
Agreed

·
μολὼν λαβέ
38,417 Posts
Bet they regret it now.
Boy I wish I had been thinking hard about casting then and bought all of it. Along with that pallet of railroad ties i fooled around and let get away.:confused:

·
Registered
7,388 Posts
My son just called, we've been busy since the weekend. We had to cancel our reservations. I'll post that in another thread. They went camping over the weekend. He went to fill the truck up with fuel before hooking up to the camper and head home. Noticed a pile of lead scrap at the back of the building. The owner said scrap lead price had dropped from .10 to .06 per lb, was waiting for it to come back up. He brought home 180 lbs for .10 per lb. When things settle down here I'll see what he got.

61 - 80 of 87 Posts