close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Interesting 1911

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by 22lrfan, Apr 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. 22lrfan

22lrfan Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

When I went in Top Dollar today there was an interesting 1911 on the shelf.

1911 a.jpg

1911 b.jpg

It has an older Colt slide on an Essex frame. It did look like the ejection port had been lowered.

1911 c.jpg

It looked like they had used a stone to try and remove the markings from the left side of the slide.

1911 d.jpg

A "Kensight" adjustable sight has been stuck in the rear dovetail and a new front sight installed.

1911 f.jpg
    1911 e.jpg

The most interesting part was the front of the grip frame. The dots you see project from the frame like little spikes. I don't know how they made these. It gives a good grip though. Also has an aluminum trigger with overtravel screw.

1911 g.jpg

Maybe SumGy can offer some insight into it. The trigger pull was nice and I've never seen any grips like it has. It's marked $499. If it stays there long I might have to make an offer on it.

2. phillipd

phillipd Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

columbus
    Mr. Marty, if you don't want it, I do.

3. 22lrfan

You're welcome to it. I don't really need another 1911. If you know you're coming soon I'll get him to hold it for you.

4. phillipd

columbus
  5. 22lrfan

6. Sum Gy Custom Firearms

Sum Gy Custom Firearms Distinguished Poster

Only way I have seen the pimple finish done is with EDM. The grips are lazer cut and I believe they depict Brian Enos winning the worlds championship. I suspect the rear sight was installed by somebody that didn't have a way to install it correctly as they seem to have just modified the factory dovetail to accept it. If the ejection port has been lowered it hasn't been lowered much and may have just been re contoured and smoothed up with stones. I think in some of my junk I have a matching pimple pattern main spring housing that matches the front strap.

7. Tall Boy

Tall Boy Distinguished Poster

That pistol reminds me of my oldest, ugliest, and cheapest .45acp. It's also the pistol that I'm most comfortable with...my "go to" gun at home. It, too, is an Essex frame with a Colt slide and barrel. After market sights, too, but mine sports old BoMar hardball sights. The front strap, now covered with Pacmayr grips, is roughly stippled.
    Frankengun.JPG
    As usual, there's a story with it. In the 1970's an older friend was moving to Florida and needed some cash for the trip. He'd assembled this pistol and used it in competition (Bullseye, I think). You can still see his work hand-fitting the barrel bushing. Originally it had some oversize grips with an adjustable rest for the heel of the hand. He offered me the pistol AND a Colt .22LR conversion kit (in its box) for $100. I had to adjust my diet for a few weeks to afford it, but I couldn't let it get away.

It's so ugly that I didn't mind taking a rasp to the grips to make the magazine release more accessible. Some years ago it went to Clark Custom guns for some minor tweaking.

It's a real favorite of mine.

maxhush, oldguns, Blondie70 and 4 others like this.
  8. Vick

Vick Distinguished Poster

That pistol was likely someone's home-built "bullseye" or "practical pistol" competition gun. The front of the grip frame has been stippled in what used to be called a "tiger-tooth" or "tiger-claw" pattern, using a small sharp punch and evenly spacing the resultant burrs...whoever did it had a pretty steady hand. The sights are somewhat crudely mounted, but should work fine as long as the rear site is a tight fit. I would assume they also had a trigger job and a general tightening done on it and that it is probably a passably good shooter. A lot of Essex frames were used in the '70's and '80's. The grips, of course, were a commercial add-on. We used to see a lot of guns similar to this when I was shooting practical pistol matches in the late '70's.

oldguns, 22lrfan, Blondie70 and 2 others like this.
  9. Burrabbit78

Burrabbit78 Distinguished Poster

Clinton
    I have this gun, got it a few months ago, and was about to add a post to see if anyone knew anything about it. Glad I looked in the forum first! Anyway, even for home-built, someone sure knew what they were doing. It's an excellent shooter!

SMissCCJ, oldguns, usssaump and 6 others like this.
  10. phillipd

columbus
    So you're the one that got it before 22lr got them to hold it for me. Congrats. I really liked that one.

11. Burrabbit78

Burrabbit78 Distinguished Poster

Clinton
    While I like it, I'm not particularly attached to it, and could probably let it go, if you are still interested in it.

phillipd and CajunBP like this.
  12. phillipd

columbus
    Thanks Burrabbit, I'd still love to have it, but no extra funds at the moment. I appreciate the offer though, and keep me in mind.