Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bending on cowhide gives me the pleasure of meeting some really nice folks, and some of 'em end up becoming trading partners, and a few less end up becoming pretty good friends. I've dealt with a forum member Tyler May whose a knife maker on/off for a couple years and when he came out with a line of neck knives I got a couple for friends & myself. Here it is as it came with a Tek-lok & kydex sheath:

Even though it is a neck knife I found it carried great around my waist and found a small fixed blade came in handy on top of my normal folder. One day I was messing around and got this bright idea..

SO now it came to a working concept. Moved up to a 1.75" belt so that there was plenty of wiggle room. On the next revision I will extend the billet out enough to cover the knife from front view when buckled & wrap the handle in a matching leather to help it blend in. I'm pretty tickled with the concept and the handy-ness off it after a little use. No quick draw but that wasn't my intent. This would definitely be illegal in some states - luckily not here as I read the law.

Lucky for me I snuck this into the final batch of belts for our November Belt Buy so I didn't have to make a mess on my own. Think this design really has some potential.

·
Premium Member
13,094 Posts
Great idea!!! I like that.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Legs, man. It's got legs!

Tylers tiny blade is a nice handy utilitarian tool, but burying it into a Big Rob belt certainly kicks it up a notch.

Highly creative, and awfully appealing, sir.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
It certainly looks like a great idea. I found someone else that had a similar idea on the web the other day and forwarded it to Rob. He sent be back a photo of this belt. Forward thinking and great design man, I like it a lot!

After our conversation the other day I got to wondering. What's the retention like while you've been testing it? I know it doesn't have much weight, but what are the chances of it coming out?

Also, just for my personal stuff and I should probably just ask Tyler, but hows the retention on the small kydex sheath you got with the knife? Is there much wiggle room with it or does it "snap" in tight?

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
[QUOTE="Also, just for my personal stuff and I should probably just ask Tyler, but hows the retention on the small kydex sheath you got with the knife? Is there much wiggle room with it or does it "snap" in tight?[/QUOTE]

I can't speak for Rob, but the one I have from Tyler snaps in pretty tightly with very little wiggle once sheathed. The blade most definitely remains solid, secure and safe in the kydex.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
I got one for a wedding present from Tyler and it is a sweet knife. I used the teclock to hook it to my safety harness while hunting. just in case I fall I can pull it out and cut the tether and try my best to shimmy down the tree. it is a VERY SHARP knife and the fit in the kydex is pretty sweet and very snug. great knife if anyone is looking for a great knife.

also interested in the retention in the belt. Rob, wear it for a few months and if you don't get a slice in your gut that means it is working :)

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Legs, man. It's got legs!

Tylers tiny blade is a nice handy utilitarian tool, but burying it into a Big Rob belt certainly kicks it up a notch.

Highly creative, and awfully appealing, sir.
Thanks Chad. It's different - but different isn't a bad thing.

It certainly looks like a great idea. I found someone else that had a similar idea on the web the other day and forwarded it to Rob. He sent be back a photo of this belt. Forward thinking and great design man, I like it a lot!

After our conversation the other day I got to wondering. What's the retention like while you've been testing it? I know it doesn't have much weight, but what are the chances of it coming out?

Also, just for my personal stuff and I should probably just ask Tyler, but hows the retention on the small kydex sheath you got with the knife? Is there much wiggle room with it or does it "snap" in tight?
After breaking it in a week it is still a little too tight to comfortably draw. I think for a daily use blade (for me, in this location it is not) I'd need to build a 'blade channel' out of some really thin kydex as cutting the bottom of the opening is going to occur at some point in the future. In terms of accidentally coming out - as it sits it ain't happening. You'd have to snag the lanyard on something and physically pull away from it in the same motion.

Regarding the sheath it clicks into the kydex, and doesn't move once it is in.

I got one for a wedding present from Tyler and it is a sweet knife. I used the teclock to hook it to my safety harness while hunting. just in case I fall I can pull it out and cut the tether and try my best to shimmy down the tree. it is a VERY SHARP knife and the fit in the kydex is pretty sweet and very snug. great knife if anyone is looking for a great knife.

also interested in the retention in the belt. Rob, wear it for a few months and if you don't get a slice in your gut that means it is working :)
I've used that little knife a bunch and it has hold the edge well - really impressed with it.

I replied to retention above - from the customers I've discussed it with the amount of handle exposed scares about 50% of them. You'd really have to feel how tight it is to really be comfortable with the idea. A kydex blade guide will probably be incorporated into "Take 2" at some point in the future. Good thing is, is that with a 7oz belt liner you'd stop pressing a long time before you'd cut through it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts