Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
10,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aren't "switch blade knives" classified as concealed weapons in Mississippi?

Watch the push button open (skip to 1:05):

This Grabagun web site does not mention Mississippi:

State -----------------------> Possession

Delaware -----------------> Legal - Permit required to purchase

Hawaii --------------------> Illegal

Illinois ---------------------> Limited - Only allowed if a hunting knife.

Louisiana -----------------> Illegal

Maine ---------------------> Illegal

Minnesota ---------------> Limited - Illegal unless allowed under exceptions made for collectors and/or possession as curios or antiques

Montana ------------------> Limited - Illegal, unless part of registered collection

New Jersey ---------------> Limited - Possession is only allowed if possessor has a "lawful purpose”

New Mexico --------------> Illegal

New York ------------------> Limited- Hunting, Fishing, and Trapping permit required to purchase and possess.

Puerto Rico ---------------> Illegal

U.S. Virgin Islands --------> Illegal

Virginia ----------------------> Illegal - Illegal if for sale, and simple possession is considered prima facie evidence of intent to sell

Washington ----------------> Illegal - Only legal for possession by on/off-duty police officers and paramedics

Launch Knife Kershaw 7900GRYBLK

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,905 Posts
Some of those states have some seriously stupid laws. Illegal to sell and just owning one they can get you on intent to sell. What they going to do jump up your rump and read your mind?

·
Registered
15,383 Posts
Classified as a concealed weapon? Not unless you conceal it.

Yes though, automatic knives, like the Launch series are considered “switchblades”

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
10,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Mississippi Knife Laws - American Knife and Tool Institute

There’s a summary when I searched for Mississippi knife laws.
Yep. That's what I remembered:
Mississippi Code Title 97. Crimes § 97-37-1 | FindLaw

(1) Except as otherwise provided in Section 45-9-101 , any person who carries, concealed on or about one's person, any bowie knife, dirk knife, butcher knife, switchblade knife, metallic knuckles, blackjack, slingshot, pistol, revolver, or any rifle with a barrel of less than sixteen (16) inches in length, or any shotgun with a barrel of less than eighteen (18) inches in length, machine gun or any fully automatic firearm or deadly weapon, or any muffler or silencer for any firearm, whether or not it is accompanied by a firearm, or uses or attempts to use against another person any imitation firearm, shall, upon conviction, be punished as follows:
Wonder if "switchblade knife" has been defined in the courts or laws of Mississippi?

Also, I am not sure what exactly powers the blade to open in the Kershaw Launch.

There has got to be a spring in there somewhere I suppose . . .

The Texas definition would include Benchmade type knives that you can flip open:

the term switchblade knife means "any knife that has a blade that folds, closes, or retracts into the handle or sheath and that opens automatically by pressure applied to a button or other device located on the handle or opens or releases a blade from the handle or sheath by the force of gravity or by the application of centrifugal force.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,905 Posts

Wonder if "switchblade knife" has been defined in the courts or laws of Mississippi?

Also, I am not sure exactly powers the blade to open in the Kershaw Launch.

The Texas definition would include Benchmade type knives that you can flip open:
Seems in Texas best to carry a small fixed blade.

·
Registered
15,383 Posts

Also, I am not sure exactly powers the blade to open in the Kershaw Launch.

I have one, it’s the Launch 4 or 5(can’t remember). I haven’t taken it apart, but yes, I assume the button releases/activated a spring or series of springs. I know with Microtechs some are basically double action and some are single action.

If you just want an auto knife, I love mine. I actually do carry it quite a bit(oops), but I’ve started back carrying my Blur(my favorite knife) more and more again. I’m not convinced the Launch is actually any faster, and it takes up more room in my pocket.

ETA: mine is a Launch 3.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
I had a launch 1 for a while, great knife.

The push button activates what, I believe, is called a plunge lock, and one coiled spring opens the blade. Great little AMERICAN MADE knives for around $100.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts