close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Jackson airport question

Discussion in 'Round Table' started by Voodoochild, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Voodoochild

Voodoochild Distinguished Poster

I grew up in Pearl, within sight (until the trees grew to block it) of some of the towers. I'm not sure just when the thing was built but I've always wondered, especially now, with all the fuss, why was it built in Rankin County but still belong to the city of Jackson? What was the deal? Does Rankin County, or Pearl, get anything out of it, money-wise?

I always thought it weird, back when Rankin County was dry, that you could buy liquor at the airport.

2. stewbaby

stewbaby Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

My father worked for Delta their from 1964 thru 1995. Thompson Field (as it was originally named) was built in 1963-1964. Jet service needed a longer field than Hawkins could provide (plus the noise).

You want cheap available flat land far enough out of town to be away from the growth and homes (for airport growth and noise buffer) without being too far. At the time the airport was built, Flowood / Hwy 25 area was really nothing but a swamp and Pearls was unincorporated.

PS: Delta started its air service from Monroe to Jackson...until then, it was just a crop duster company (hence the name 'Delta').

JMAA History | Jackson Municipal Airport Authority

Driveshaft, phillipd and patchz like this.

3. 22lrfan

22lrfan Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

It was built in the early '60's. Commercial jets were coming out and it wasn't feasible to expand Hawkins Field to handle them. As far as I know the City of Jackson owns all the property. The Air National Guard and Army Guard lease their property from Jackson.

4. patchz

patchz Court Jester

My Dad worked for Southern and then Republic after the merger. Then Northwest bought Republic and Delta bought Northwest. My Dad died in 2009 before it was completed but I still had to deal with Delta because it was that far along. He got paychecks from Southern and Republic, and Retirement checks from Republic and Northwest. My Mom still gets a check from Delta.

5. stewbaby

They definitely had the golden years of airline employment. When he retired, he was up to 3 months vacation, still gets 60% of his salary I think as a pension, plus he had full medical till Medicare took over. Still can fly free anywhere Delta goes (though that's almost impossible to use now a days). Delta was good to us. I almost got sick of eating airline peanuts as my daily school lunch snack...but they were a hit in the college dorm!

CajunBP, maxhush, fordpkup and 3 others like this.
  6. TheBouncer1111

TheBouncer1111 Distinguished Poster

the land the airport sits on belonged to Allen c Thomson wifes family. they had been trying to sell it for more than a decade. but no one wanted to buy swamp land. Then son in law became mayor....and millionaires were made.

maxhush, fordpkup, 94LEVERFAN and 3 others like this.
  7. stewbaby

Ahh...the real reason...POLITICS and personal gain!

maxhush, fordpkup and phillipd like this.
  8. patchz

patchz Court Jester

Guess you grew up like I did, a sometimes ramp rat. :lol1:

phillipd and 22lrfan like this.
  9. bubbat

bubbat Gate Keeper to my corner of Hell

Clinton
    I have flown in one the Huff Daland Dusters Stermans, the company Delta bought out to form Delta Airlines. The agi pilot that did all our spraying FIL was one of the original ag pilots for Huff Daland and bought the plane from them. It got torn up pretty bad in a tornado in 2000-2001 I don't know if it was ever repaired or not, he said it would take years to fix it.

22lrfan and stewbaby like this.
  10. Voodoochild

Voodoochild Distinguished Poster

Okay, good to know. Still, seems to me that, being in Rankin Co., it makes it a little more understandable that control of the thing not be solely on Jackson.

11. stewbaby

Oh definitely. Jackson is no longer the dominant user they were years ago. Any objections are strictly politically based / power loss resistance and not what is best for the airport and its users.

22lrfan likes this.
  12. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Distinguished Poster

Word I heard was that Jackson originally proposed to build the airport west of Clinton and asked Vicksburg to join in, but Vicksburg said that they already had an airport and chose not to participate.

So Jackson located it on the opposite side of the city.

By the way, it appears that the airport is in the Jackson corporate limits:

Google Maps

13. stewbaby

...good phrase for it. Good times.