Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Seeker of wisdom & Purveyor of the truth!
676 Posts
Seemed fairly decent for me, seen some non dealers with some very nice older pieces, some nice Damascus knives, also one dealer had some knives with unique handles, It closed too early for me. I

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
I hope y'all have a great show
I went this morning just to look around. I look at it kind of like going to the movies. For $8 I am entertained for an hour and a half. Anyway, there was a guy there that had 4 or 5 Ruger No1s on his table in various calibers. All were priced $1050 and above. I don't follow pricing on them so not sure how that compares to market value. All were in very good shape.

Too me most vendors were priced high. Saw a couple of Automag 2s; one was $700 the other $750 both were in similar shape to mine that I paid $425 for a few months ago LOL
The rest of the show seemed priced about the same in my opinion.

·
676 Posts
I went this morning just to look around. I look at it kind of like going to the movies. For $8 I am entertained for an hour and a half. Anyway, there was a guy there that had 4 or 5 Ruger No1s on his table in various calibers. All were priced $1050 and above. I don't follow pricing on them so not sure how that compares to market value. All were in very good shape.

Too me most vendors were priced high. Saw a couple of Automag 2s; one was $700 the other $750 both were in similar shape to mine that I paid $425 for a few months ago LOL
The rest of the show seemed priced about the same in my opinion.
Agreed, i found a great deal on a Dan Wesson 357, seen a browning 1895 30/40 krag in box that had me drooling. Seen some pristine condition early colt and S&W revolvers, just did not have the money, which saddens me. LOL

·
676 Posts
I met a individual out of Southaven MS, do not know if he is dealer or not, i meant to go back to see him and exchange contact info, he had a lot of older revolvers, I was going to go back and see him but it closed before I could.

Would anyone happen to know who he may be?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I went.
Drove through heavy fog & light rain on the way up, then heavy rain & light fog on the way home. Main road used were I-59 to US 49 to I-20/55 then back again.
I went there to horsetrade with another forum member.
Great experience.
While I saw three or four other firearms that I COULD have purchased, I had already spent too much the previous month with taxes & a new whole house A/C replacement.
I like my comforts more than I like my guns. :)
Getting too close to retirement to neglect my fiduciary responsibilities.
Passed on a 1942 Ishevsk Russian 91/30 with Finnish property marks & Finnish stock pine tar finish. priced @ $300 OTD.
It hurt to walk away from that.
Also passed on a 1925 SIG barreled Finnish Civil Guard M91 that was priced higher than I would like to pay.
Also saw a $999.00 Armalite AR-10 from the same vendor.
My credit cards were in a zero state of balance & still are. :)
I also saw a Glock 17L for sale. Again priced more than what I wanted to pay.
I left with two new firearms & spent less than three bills of expenses to acquire them, & was happy to keep my greed & spending in check. :)
Good show. I met two other members there. I had my gifted MSGO shirt on beneath my waxed cotton duster.
The Jackson show is much better than the Kenner , LA. shows.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,736 Posts
I have had almost as many run-ins with laurel cops as I have had with secret service.
No Thanks!
I don't like being held at gunpoint &I don't like having my vehicles searched.
I have never set foot in that city & don't want to.
LOL, I 've been there many times to Laurel and never had any problem. You must have that look .....;)

Reactions: JohnDeere

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Before I discovered the firearms community & the great hobby we currently enjoy, I was a motorcyclist. I went everywhere, almost every mile on two wheels.
I never did drugs or any crimes, but with my leather jacket, boots & gloves, I must have looked very undesirable. I know sometimes I smelled bad.
I earned my vacation time & wanted to escape the big city of New Orleans. I would escape in the middle of the night to the smoky mountains & either Two wheels only in Suches, Georgia or Deals gap at the crossroads of time campground. I worked night shift & would sleep during the day. So, I would leave at night after a good days rest.
I would travel north on I-59 in the wee hours after midnight.
In 1989 or 90 I got stopped on I-59 during a routine roadblock.
I produced the requested documentation but something with me must not have looked or smelled right.
I was ordered off my bike while the officers began removing everything that I had packed & balanced so carefully. They dismantled all of my stuff (sleeping bag, clothing, cookware, tools) & dropped them on the ground while they searched for contraband.
They found nothing. Nothing! They were not pleased. I even had a current brake tag even though it was not displayed. Jesus! I had no windshield, Where do you want me to display it?
They walked away & left me on the shoulder to re-pack my stuff in the dark in one of those turns on I-59 while traffic whizzed by at highway speeds.
They put my life in danger! Would not even help keep traffic away from me while I did the best I could in a bad spot. Why should I respect A$$ [email protected] like that?
To this day my blood still boils!
In 1992 or 93, I went the same way but this time I was driving an old pickup truck with a camper on the bed & pulling a trailer containing a motorcycle.
What do I see ahead of me?
Another freeking roadblock on I-59 north @ 0200!
Standard shift. I had to clutch & de-clutch until I got to the checkpoint.
This time they had dogs!
They ran that stinking dog through my cab & had me unlock my camper.
They then ran that stinking dog through my clean camper looking for $h!t.
Stunk up my whole rig!
Did not apologize! Ruined the joy of my trip.
Look. I have been jacked up before by New Orleans cops. I even rode with a district commander on weekends & he told me why I was inviting the attention.
Leather jackets had in inside left pocket. I kept my wallet & case for my eyeglasses in there.
I looked like a dirty shirt packing heat!
At least the black cops from New Orleans were kind & apologetic when they realized my personality profile did not match my appearance.
I learned the value of a razor & barber after that.
I also abandoned leather jackets & embraced waxed cotton & gore-tex after those encounters.
I am still fearful of wandering into Laurel. Certainly don't want to do so with any firearms.
Maybe there are some good cops there, but I have never met them.
I prefer to keep my stress levels & blood pressure down. I can feel it increasing as I type.
So wrong of me to hold a grudge for so long, but those dudes really pi$$ed me off!
Don't get me started on secret service.
Those guys are super scary! Like organized crime!

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I hang out in laurel a good bit, never had an problems but never been thru roadblock at 2am, but my dad back around late 80's maybe early 90's got dwi on interstate exit off Ellisville, They left his 71 Chevelle side the road. While it was there got window knock out and had radio stolen. So he cut a deal where they drop the dui and he would not sue over his car. And they did

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
In retrospect, I now can understand why the police department did what they did.
We have these national forfeiture laws that allows & rewards local law enforcement agencies to keep the proceeds of any illegal drugs, guns or money that their officers confiscate.
Citizens do not even have to be charged with a crime. They can seize property based on suspicion of illegal proceeds.
US AG Jeff Sessions confirmed this was good for the country & blessed its continued use.
This goes against the grain of our bill of rights that prohibits confiscation of property without due cause.
I consider myself lucky that my meager belongings were not confiscated but unlucky that i was targeted.
This is why I drive just below the speed limit on the interstate highways such as I-10, I-49, I-55 & I-59. I watch the local LEO cruisers while traveling these drug highways so as not to draw their attention.
They do not have to find anything illegal in order to take my property. They can just claim suspicion.
How does one prove their innocence?
Yes. Even one who complies with the law can suffer loss of rights & property.
I have to remain vigilant every time I leave my driveway & every mile it requires to return.
I bought my first firearm in 1989 from Gretna Gun Works. A Smith & Wesson model 459.
The purchase was not in response to to a criminal act such as a theft, assault or burglary.
My purchase was in response to my fear of the cops.
Go figure.
I never fired that pistol.
I traded it for some BMW motorcycle parts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts