Mississippi Gun Owners banner

Just got a rem 5r .308

3K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  jaym_100 
#1 ·
Just bought a new rifle. I have been wanting to get it for almost a year. I finally broke down and bought it. Now it is time to put some glass on it and see how it shoots. Anyone else have one or done any after market work on one?

#3 ·
congrats and welcome to the forum.... but as riverbilly said

Shoot it a bunch first and see how it shoots, then decide if you want to customize it. I would first recommend a good trigger job or if funds permit a upgraded trigger. The sky is the limit on customizing a rem700.

#5 ·
try one with a jewell trigger and that factory remington will feel like garbage. I would be willing to bet that remington trigger is somewhere around 5 to 7 lbs. drop that to a crisp 3.5 pounds (hunting rifle) or much lighter for a benchgun and you will see an improvement in group size, if you do your part. Having it bedded will be a great improvement as well. What is the factory stock on it? is it an upgrade of the standard rem stock or is it an h&s precision or some variant?

G
#12 ·
Try Cook's for the bolt job. You shouldn't need to bed that synthetic stock. I'd do things in this order.

1. Start with the best glass you can afford, You should pay as much for the glass as you did for the rifle.
2. Put two hundred rounds down range to polish up the barrel. Don't be overly concerned about groups for the first hundred or so. Take it slow and follow a good break-in procedure.
3. By now you should know where to put your next efforts, ie. trigger, reciever truing, bolt lapping ect. You will probably be very surprised at the ability of your rifle and decide to spend you money on things like a tactical bolt or custom finish.

I'm in Pascagoula so if you want to plan a range day give me a shout. I'd be glad to host you at our range for a break-in session or meet you at yours.

#21 ·
Nice Shooting -- BTW - great looking rifle ..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.