Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So If you can only pick one centerfire rifle and cartridge and scope combo to do your medium to big game hunting in ms What would it be? (Ammo availability not being an issue) For me I would probably say the first Remington 700 tactical 308 I purchased equipped with a vx3 leupold 3.5-10x50 its a little on the heavy side but I don’t mind that. It’s short 20” barrel makes it easy to handle It’s one of the most accurate rifles I’ve ever placed my trigger finger on..... its be headed gray squirrels rabbits white tails and some pigs here and there years ago I would not have said this it would have been a 300 mag or a magnum of some sort But bullet placement and efficiency have proven a lot to me I have TOTAL confidence is this rifle/ tool

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
25,587 Posts
Remington Model 7 in .308 probably mount a Vortex scope on it with Duplex cross hairs.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Ak47 with 154 grain soft points with a red dot of some sorts. Primary arms or holosun probably for me…my 200 and under set up..suppressor optional

·
MSGO Court Jester
47,188 Posts
Probably my Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308 with the Burris 2-7 Scout scope that's on it.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
All the above choices leave you out of MS Primitive Weapons season totally for the first season and out of public land for the 2nd and 3rd. Since I have never had to pull the trigger more than once on any deer, I'd say that I would choose my Encore .35 Whelen with its Bushnell 4200 Elite 3-9. It is short and light enough for tree stand use but with 180gr bullets, it is flat shooting enough to use on a decent sized bean field.

·
Registered
7,281 Posts
I went through this exercise a few years ago and ended up with a Kimber Montana in 308 Win with a Leupold VXR 3-9x40. Even with more offerings on the market today, I don't know that I'd change anything. It's been pretty good.

On second thought: I might go with a Trijicon Accupoint instead.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
700 in .308 with magpul hunter stock and leupold mk 4 3.5-10 being I already have it. Has been effective enough so far.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
40,918 Posts
Remington M721 , .270 Winchester for any med-big game hunting in the US that I'd do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Clothing Hunting Deer hunting Trophy hunting Vertebrate

I have taken more deer with a 270 than any other caliber, however the last couple of years i have gained appreciation for the 7mm-08. My ruger compact loaded with a 139 barnes has been working fine. Of course 270, 30-06, 308 7 mag etc all work well.
Dog breed Carnivore Fawn Terrestrial animal Wood

Working animal Tree Hat Plant Hunting

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Henry Single Shot, .450 Bushmaster, Burris Droptine 2-7x35. Slug gun scope on a round that behaves very closely to a 20 gauge sabot slug load. Legal from primitive season, legal for deer, good in the brush, good in the open out to about 200 yards, good for hogs, and just about anything else you could encounter at those ranges. Used to have that scope on a Mossberg Patriot with a walnut stock in .450 BM and enjoyed it quite a bit.

A close second for me would likely be a lever action or quality pump action in .45 Colt with some sort of red dot or other low power fixed magnified optic.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts