Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been reluctant to leave a lever gun tube loaded for very long, since it tends to deform the tip on various bullet designs within a day or 2 - JHP, LRN, etc. But I have deliberately left my Henry fully loaded for the past 10 days with Hornady LeveRevolution as a experiment. Dumped them out this morning and compared them against the ones left in the box, and was pleasantly surprised that there was no discernible flattening or other deformation of the plastic tip on them or indentation of the primers. :)

So y'all with centerfire lever guns can probably rest easy about leaving this ammo in the tube for extended periods.

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
My dad never unloaded his 30-30. Back then all he had was it and an 870 and a .22 rifle. He kept them all loaded just in case he needed them. We killed plenty of deer with flat bullets. I don’t really know how much difference it makes at 100-150 yards. I used to use nosler partition in my .308 bolt action. After loading from the mag and unloading the same round a few times it beat the tip up pretty bad. I would rotate it to the bottom of the mag and shoot at a buzzard or something with it instead of a deer. Still don’t know how much it actually affects accuracy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts