Keeping up with your Brass?

Discussion in 'Optics and Accessories' started by rigrat, Jan 30, 2018.

1. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

Does anyone on here use a brass catcher that attaches to your firearm or free standing to keep up with your brass when you shoot? Store bought or home aid what do you use to keep up with your bras so you don't have to dig all around on the ground trying to find spent brass?

Been tired of hunting up my brass when shooting and now with the AR and limited brass for 223 I'm trying to come up with some ideals especially homemade but will consider store bought also.

I have in the past spread out a tarp but it gets old folding it back up. Recently bought a 6x8 tarp for a dollar and was thinking maybe making either a pvc or 1x2 frame to deflect and catch my empties as they are ejected from the firearm.

So what do you use or what ideals you got?

4x4moses, Mesquite and Jarhead5811 like this.
  2. nonnieselman

nonnieselman Nocturnal Specialties

BrassWrangler.com

Best priced brass catcher ive ever used.

I cant find a picture of mine.

3. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Distinguished Poster

4. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

Like that design. But brasswrangler.com isn't working. But quick google foo says they moved to rustynutdesigns.com.

Mesquite likes this.
  5. Leadburner

Leadburner Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

+1 on the Caldwell. Works well in about all aspects except in a cradle.

6. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

Looking at the Caldwell does it fit with a mounted scope? Looks like it might not when a scope is mounted, but I can't really tell by the pic.

Mesquite likes this.
  7. Leadburner

Yes, it's adjustable. You can move the mount up or down the rail depending on the scope rings / mount.

22lrfan and rigrat like this.
  8. Leadburner

If you can wait till the M&G I'll bring one & you can try it on your rifle.

9. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

Thanks I'm not in a hurry, I'm hoping to make it to the M&G, so that would be great.

10. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

Man I wish I still had one of my old seine nets that would be about perfect. Think I can use the small tarp I have.

Would really like to have a static one here at the house to use and one like Nonnie, lead, and Rogue are talking about that fixes to the rifle.

11. sigpro2022

sigpro2022 Distinguished Poster

I also use an 8' section of an old minnow seine, it is portable and I have an old piece of indoor/outdoor carpet at the bottom. Brass hits net and rolls down carpet to your feet. In the pictures below you can see what I mean. Here I have it set up next to a bench.
    20150606_154503.jpg 20150606_154415.jpg

4x4moses, para40, 22lrfan and 2 others like this.
  12. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

Nice setup, was thinking something similar with the small tarp I bought.

13. Southern Reloading

Southern Reloading Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Rig use 1" PVC and go buy a cheap minnow net or seine. I made one for shooting pistols. Made the mesh to where it formed a bag at the bottom. Works great. I'll take some pics and send them .

BasMstr, 22lrfan and rigrat like this.
  14. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

Thanks

15. SMissCCJ

SMissCCJ Glad to be here

+1 for the tarp.
    Old bedsheets work well too.

rigrat likes this.
  16. BasMstr

BasMstr Distinguished Poster

Yup, this is the way to go.

@Ellis93 (I think) had a nice tabletop version at one of the M&G’s at McHenry.

Ellis93 and rigrat like this.
  17. Ellis93

Ellis93 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I do. It works well.
    I've been wanting to build a bigger version for standing but am waiting till I can just leave it at my range. Planning on building a small-ish pavilion out there with a rock floor (fend off the tax man with the rock/dirt floor)
    You would not believe how hard it is to find all your 308 cases in leaves.....much less 9mm lol

18. nonnieselman

nonnieselman Nocturnal Specialties

Its even more fun looking for a sooted up brass case in the mud.
    But those ideas look great!
    Only time i use the brass catcher is out hunting. Any other time ill sit my range bag by my rifle and let them bouce off it and burn me a few times till i use my shooting mat and a extra magazine to create a barrier.

BasMstr and Ellis93 like this.
  19. Ellis93

Ellis93 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Only picture I could find with it being somewhat visible. Still not great.
    Made out of wood scraps and an old laundry bag of some sort (stolen from the wife lol)
    IMG_4246.JPG

BasMstr, Mesquite and rigrat like this.