close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Keeping up with your Brass?

Discussion in 'Optics and Accessories' started by rigrat, Jan 30, 2018.

1. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

Looks good to me. I'm thinking of a portable standing one right now until I get a table or something to shoot off of.

BasMstr and Ellis93 like this.
  2. phillipd

phillipd Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

columbus
    Rig I can't help with a brass catcher but I'll bring you a few of my extra.223 cases Saturday

BasMstr and rigrat like this.

3. ThatGuy

ThatGuy I could only pick one, extra money, or guns.

Lawn mower usually finds mine.

rigrat and Ellis93 like this.
  4. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

Much appreciated

phillipd likes this.
  5. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

I don't even think the lawn mower finds mine. Think the yard swallows all my brass up.

ThatGuy likes this.
  6. Ellis93

Ellis93 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Just an example of the concept. My next will be modeled after it except 4/5' wide and 7/8' tall. I figure in that amount of space I should be able to collect any brass from any firearm,while standing next to it. I typically don't do a lot of moving while I'm shooting at my steel,except to swing left and right.....even then I'm only covering 25' of area down range. So there isn't a lot of swing lol

I've look at those hanging net setups for the rail......I like them,just too cheap to buy one. There's just too much else on the want list,and why buy that when I can make something for cost of electricity and a el'cheapo fish net.

BasMstr likes this.
  7. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

Thats why I bought the 6x8' tarp for about a buck. I planned on turning it into a stop like everyone is using the nets for. Didn't want to spend allot. Need reloading components and firearms more than a back stop, LOL.

Ellis93 likes this.
  8. phillipd

phillipd Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

columbus
    No problem. Got more than I can load and haven't shot any in a couple months

rigrat likes this.
  9. TheBouncer1111

TheBouncer1111 Distinguished Poster

if you have one of those old mesh bags we use to use to hold football gear, that would work too with a pvc frame.

drawstring on top..let the brass arc in and draw up when ready to go home.

rigrat likes this.
  10. Ellis93

I hear that. Can't believe how much powder I've went thru messing with this 308win cartridge. It would be tolerable if I didn't shoot as much lol

I would not want to use a tarp for a standing apparatus.......gotta think about the wind and what it might do ;)

BasMstr, sigpro2022 and rigrat like this.
  11. sigpro2022

sigpro2022 Distinguished Poster

I tried a tarp first, doesn't take much wind to blow the sucker over. I found the old net at a catfish farm the man gave it to me. The rest of the material was scrap and some left over emt conduit. I had to buy some zip ties. Carpet was on the side of the road for garbage pickup.

rigrat and BasMstr like this.
  12. osiek

osiek Distinguished Poster

13. nonnieselman

nonnieselman Nocturnal Specialties

Wait till you move up to a 300WM or something.. 75gr powder per shot adds up really fast!

14. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

LOL I'm small time just the 25 gr in the 223 is about to drive me crazy. ;)

15. osiek

osiek Distinguished Poster

338 Lapua 95 to 125 grains

16. nonnieselman

nonnieselman Nocturnal Specialties

Ha i remember loading 50bmg. 235gr was the light load with a 660gr FMJ. We used a solo cup to load the measurer.

17. Ellis93

I'll stay with the 308 lol

18. maxhush

maxhush Distinguished Poster

NW MS
    I have trained all my guns to use a litter box.

But seriously, I have a catcher, somewhere, but I rarely bother with it. I usually only lose 1-2 pieces of brass per outing as I can usually find them on the more or less bare clay/dust in the bay. The revolvers I don't lose any brass from. The cost of 1-2 pieces of brass per range trip is worth it to me, not having to hassle with a catcher. CZ75s tend to be remarkably consistent where they toss the brass (I almost could use a litter box to catch it). Soviet stuff with steel cased ammo loses some of it (but the only purpose of collecting it is to toss it in the range garbage can and not leave it strewn all over the range bay to get picked up during mowing/dust flinging by the range maintainers, who request that we do this by saying that "the car windshield you save may be your own").

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018