Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I have a custom Crimson carry II and i love it. It’s not ammo picky. Granted I’ve never shot steel case but I shoot about the cheapest brass stuff I can find out of it at the range and it’s very accurate. Never had any issues, always bang.

·
MSGO Court Jester
39,401 Posts
I carried a 5" Stainless II for several years until I got a Stainless Pro Raptor. I like the 4" better, but no problems with either once broken in. I shot a few matches with the 5". I've shot ball, truncated cone, and Winchester and Federal JHP with no hiccups. I also have the 5" Stainless Raptor, but it is unfired.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info! The Ultra 2 is a beautiful gun and feels good in my hand. I looked at the Ruger SR1911 Officer Model .45 this morning and liked the Kimber better and I really like Rugers.

·
MSGO Court Jester
39,401 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How many rounds of fmj and hollow point did you fire as part of your break in period before you felt comfortable carrying your Kimber. 100, 200, or more rounds?

·
MSGO Court Jester
39,401 Posts
How many rounds of fmj and hollow point did you fire as part of your break in period before you felt comfortable carrying your Kimber. 100, 200, or more rounds?
I felt comfortable after 250 but kept going to 500.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I read an article the other day where a writer said 500 rounds was a normal break in period for a Kimber. That sounds excessively high to me. I usually consider a gun ok to carry after 100 to 200 rounds if it proves to be reliable.

·
Morte
4,309 Posts
I bought one back in 95 or 96 when they only made the "Custom Classic" Didn't even make the "Custom Royal" yet then,

Last count was getting close to 128,000 rounds (yes one hundred twenty eight thousand) on the slide and frame. It's been thru a few rebuilds and a Teflon coating.

Most will bash the MIM parts, all were changed out due to wear thru the years, with only the thumb safety failing at around 124-125k.

I can't complain. I think the biggest issue with them, and all 1911s are mag lips. I bought about 3 dozen McCormick "Shooting Star" 8 round magazines when I bought the pistol and have always had good luck with them.

The newer Kimbers and mags I'm not sure about, as ALL manufacturers seem to have let QC slip

·
Premium Member
3,817 Posts
I read an article the other day where a writer said 500 rounds was a normal break in period for a Kimber. That sounds excessively high to me. I usually consider a gun ok to carry after 100 to 200 rounds if it proves to be reliable.
There are quite a few of us 1911 fan boys on here. I would speculate the gunsmiths would say a 500 round break-in would be about right. I have a couple of tight custom guns that seemed to take closer to 700, might have been because I was breaking them in with reloads.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The only 1911 I have had was a Colt Defender several years ago. I didn’t like it and didn’t keep it very long. I presently have 3 polymer .45s but i’m sure they are quite different than a 1911. I see what you are saying about the break in period and I stand corrected. Thanks for the info of those who have more expertise than me with the 1911s. I learn something everyday on this site.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I have a Super Carry Pro (not a 2 so series 70, bobtail, 4" commander) that is my go to carry gun for 5 or 6 years now. Fit and finish is what I consider above average and worth the $1000 price tag. It probably only has 3 thousand or so rounds through it but has never failed in any way since the first round. I've noticed that most of the bad mouthing you hear about Kimber has to do with the price. A lot of people seem to think they aren't worth the money when compared to say, a Dan Wesson. And although I love my Kimber if I was going to suggest a 1911 to someone I would say if you can afford the Dan Wesson (about 20% more); that is the way I would suggest. That said, my Kimber has been a fine weapon and I will never part with it.

·
Premium Member
3,817 Posts
I have a Super Carry Pro (not a 2 so series 70, bobtail, 4" commander) that is my go to carry gun for 5 or 6 years now. Fit and finish is what I consider above average and worth the $1000 price tag. It probably only has 3 thousand or so rounds through it but has never failed in any way since the first round. I've noticed that most of the bad mouthing you hear about Kimber has to do with the price. A lot of people seem to think they aren't worth the money when compared to say, a Dan Wesson. And although I love my Kimber if I was going to suggest a 1911 to someone I would say if you can afford the Dan Wesson (about 20% more); that is the way I would suggest. That said, my Kimber has been a fine weapon and I will never part with it.
You are certainly more informed than I am, but I love my STI. I also love my Rock Island, so maybe I am a poor source of information LOL!

·
MSGO Court Jester
39,401 Posts
I've got three Kimbers, two Paras, a Colt, and a Les Baer. I love them all.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts