Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister in law has a Kimber Solo Carry that she's been using for CC. These have been known to be a little finicky, and she wants to get something more reliable. What's everyone's recommendation for a CCW? She may be looking to trade for one if anyone's interested.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depends on what she likes and what she wants.
I like my XDS and my kahr myself.
The only two criteria that I know she has is that's pretty (haha) and reliable, and the Kimber was only one of those. I tried to talk her into getting a Shield when they had the rebate going on, but she wasn't interested.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Find a range close by to her that also has a pro-shop type of space that has rentals of different types of handguns. Boondocks in central ms for instance. And the new TwoGun Tactical is suppose to have this as well. She can choose different makes, styles and sizes and they also offer discounts to students as well. My2Cents

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Find a range close by to her that also has a pro-shop type of space that has rentals of different types of handguns. Boondocks in central ms for instance. And the new TwoGun Tactical is suppose to have this as well. She can choose different makes, styles and sizes and they also offer discounts to students as well. My2Cents
Thanks for the info. They don't live near me, but there may be a rental range near them. I was just hoping to give them some good recommendations. The Shield is the only CCW I've had time with. I like CZs and have heard good things about the RAMI but don't have any experience with one.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
problem with guys giving "pointers" to ladies about what to carry, it normally boils down to what the guy "thinks", "wants" or "wants to buy/carry" for themselves. It's generally best for the woman to handle and pick a firearm that suits her, rather than what someone else "thinks". Then you go to caliber, ladies generally start small and move up with experience. Guys tend to want to buy big and grow into it with practice. ymmv

·
I could only pick one, extra money, or guns.
4,437 Posts
+1 on the rental idea. Possibly a sccy they come in sky blue I guess that classifies as pretty. I've never owned one myself. I bought a shield and an officer 1911 and never looked back. I have flirted with the idea of the sccy though. Every review I've heard or video I've watched on them people seem to love them. A guy on youtube Iraqveteran8888 torture tested one and it definitely passes.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
problem with guys giving "pointers" to ladies about what to carry, it normally boils down to what the guy "thinks", "wants" or "wants to buy/carry" for themselves. It's generally best for the woman to handle and pick a firearm that suits her, rather than what someone else "thinks". Then you go to caliber, ladies generally start small and move up with experience. Guys tend to want to buy big and grow into it with practice. ymmv
I understand that. There's a lot of options out there, though, and it's nice to be able to narrow them down and give them a good starting point. At the very least, let them know what the POSs are that they need to stay away from. Then, they may not end up with something like that Kimber Solo.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,021 Posts
JMO and its only worth 2 cents. The XDS is a good carry, kinda slim in the grip though but may fit a womans size hands great. I 'm like her don't care for the shield myself. I have a a Kahr cm9 but it is pretty small and only affords a 2 finger grip. A Kahr cw9 may be a better choice.
I agree with let her try and decide and then let her pick what she wants. That way you can't go wrong.

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
10,792 Posts
I have a CZ Rami in .40.

It is HEAVY and gave MUCH trouble with rounds nose diving into the feed ramp.

Turned out to be a weak magazine spring problem, but they would not recall.

It soured me on CZ Rami.

The problem was CZ used the same mag spring in he 9-mm and the .40.

I think new models have the problem fixed.

The 9-mm Rami never had the problem.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
The three CCW style guns my wife shoots well are as follows:
Bersa Thunder 380
Ruger LC9 Pro
Sig P320

As far as how picky the Solo is; once you find the right ammo it will run reliably. Might want to just invest in a few boxes of ammo and do some testing. I found that mine likes 147gr bullets. Kimber says not to run 115gr ammo in them; 124gr and above.

Reactions: DC7 and 7557

·
Premium Member
10,446 Posts
Some of the airlight revolvers, get few colors in ruger,S&W & Charter might be worth a look. Any Gun shows coming up in you'lls area.

·
Registered
13,058 Posts
I would say the lc9s, i just got my old one back and i wont be getting rid of it again.
The only thing i dont like about those guns is the magazine disconnect safety, but that is easy enough to remove. I took this one out a week or so after carpal tunnel surgery

1 - 14 of 14 Posts