Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone- anyone found or bought any new knives lately? I was thinking of getting a new SOG line knife but wanted feedback from others first. Let me know!

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Really like this 1950’s stag handle Italian stiletto switchblade, but it’s too rich for me.

·
Registered
13,207 Posts
Just got a benchmade mini bugout and as soon as I can I’m getting a sig k320a drop point made by hogue.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I have a SOG with the AUS8 steel and it sharpens easily to a really sharp edge, but I've noticed the edge dulls quickly. Other than that great knife. I have a kershaw now with m390 steel, it holds an edge much better, but kershaw didn't get the grind 100% symmetrical, the knife was under $100 so it's not a deal breaker to me.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Hey everyone- anyone found or bought any new knives lately? I was thinking of getting a new SOG line knife but wanted feedback from others first. Let me know!
What kind are you looking for? Fixed blade? Flipper, assisted opening? What type of steal?

·
Super Moderator
8,328 Posts
I'm a fan of SOG products. I currently have 4 of their offerings, and have been pleased with the quality. I wouldn't hesitate to order more.

The first SOG product I bought was the "key knife", available at Walmart for around $8 bucks. It's really handy, and you just put it on your key ring, and forget about it. It's the knife you ALWAYS have with you. I can't tell you how many letters I've opened, etc. with it.

Next, I got a "Power Pint" multi-tool. I LOVE this thing. It's probably the knife/tool that I use more than any other. It's quite a bit smaller than my Leatherman or Gerber Multi-Plier. It fits in my EDC pocket organizer, along with my Fisher Space Pen and EDC Flashlight. It has "compound leverage", and the end accepts standard screwdriver bits, so that's a handy feature. I keep a set of assorted screwdriver bits (flat, phillips, torx, allen, square, etc) in my Jeep.

Thirdly, I bought one of the SOG "Tactical Tomahawks", just because I thought it was neat. It's good and sharp when used as a hatchet. It's fun to throw and throws well. The build quality is high, as it is with the other SOG products I've used. It's got a blade on one side, and a pick on the other - both of which will stick when thrown. The cross-hatch patterned square on the side of the head (where the handle joins) can be used to drive nails.

Lastly, I bought one of the "Instinct" fixed-blade knives. I found it online at a clearance price that I couldn't pass up. It's small enough to be worn as a neck knife, so I ran a 30" piece of paracord through the sheath. I keep it tucked inside a day-pack that I use as a "get-home" back that I keep in the Jeep. The sheath has a removeable belt clip, that can be canted at any angle you choose. The slots in the sheath are also MOLLE compatible.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I had the Keyshawn Leek for years and thought it was an ideal EDC, and just recently lost it. Have replaced it with a Bear Ops, based on some reviews and have been very pleased with the quality

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Reactions: Mesquite

·
Registered
623 Posts
Benchmade 940 Osborne if money isn’t an issue

OKC if you’re looking for a lot of bang for the buck.

fixed blade if money not an issue Benchmade bushcrafter or mora garburg gives a lot of bang for the buck.

fixed blade if money is an issue mora companion.

·
Premium Member
4,737 Posts
I carry the Kershaw Leek. But....had to remove the lock mechanism, as it would lock by my hand just going past it into my pocket. Also....learned never to put down into pocket. Always clip on...'cuz a dime will get jammed into the mechanism and put you out of business. Leek for going to town pants and Kershaw 1776 for around the homestead. been a good knife..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok so looks like SOG is a key knife to go with in terms of brands. I like flip style so I’ll browse that inventory

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
All I've carried for years is Spyderco. All day every day. That's my go to folder. Fixed blade would be Cold Steel.

·
Registered
602 Posts
My folders are Benchmade & Spyderco. Fixed blade it's hard to beat TOPS in my years of using them, might order one of there folders at some point.

·
Registered
13,207 Posts
Ok so looks like SOG is a key knife to go with in terms of brands. I like flip style so I’ll browse that inventory
Sog was a key brand years ago, like many others though they changed most if not all manufacturing to China and quality dropped.
American made kershaw and zero tolerance are solid knives with good to great steel. Zt is above benchmade in build quality but benchmade often costs more. I’ve owned both and there’s a big difference. the only reason I still have 2 benchmade is zt does not make a comparable sized knife.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts