Mississippi Gun Owners banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
So the things I look for. I like a flipper for fast deployment; I've never managed to get fast with a stud. Ball bearing pivot (ceramic even better). And a prefer an axis lock; I like being able to open AND close the knife with one hand without changing my grip.

You'll find these criteria narrow the field a great deal. Though not a flipper; an OTF fills my one handed deploy and retract requirement and so I own several of those as well.

As mentioned SOG has gone Chinese and as I mentioned I'm generally not a fan. However I bought a Kiku XR on a whim just to see. Turned out it surprised me. Edge retention has been very good, the steel quality (CTS-XHP ) though not what I would call a premium steel; so far has been very good. This knife tuned very easily, fits my hand well, does not get in the way when clipped to my pocket, yet still rides deep in the pocket. Grips have a comfortable texture that is non slip yet doesn't tear up or fray my pockets. And best of all blade lock up is like a vault; zero movement of any kind.

EDIT: Probably the only real drawback I see with the Kiku XR is that it is a little harder to sharpen than a lot of other knives due to the recurve section of the blade. Non the less I have sharpened it just fine with a WorkSharp from the first time I sharpened it. I have of late however been thinking my knife collection really deserves a WikedEdge.

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Not the best prices you can find, but it's home for them.

·
Administrator
13,035 Posts
I looked at one of these at the last gun show.

·
Registered
791 Posts
My EDC blade is this, cheapest knife I could find that I liked that used the M390 steel. I have been very pleased with the blade performance I really like the assisted opening feature to.

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
10,704 Posts
I have a ESEE 6. My wife has an ESEE LaserStrike. My next purchase is gonna be the Expat LIBERTARIAT Machete. Lifetime warranty even if you eff it up... Can't beat that..
I've got a 4, 6, and izula 2 which is my favorite. I've come close to buying a bunch more but never do since those cover most of what I need/want and handle any job just fine. Yeah supposedly the warranty is no questions asked. Can deliberately snap it in two and send it in and get another one. The display in the SMKW store is pretty cool if ever get a chance to go.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I've got a 4, 6, and izula 2 which is my favorite. I've come close to buying a bunch more but never do since those cover most of what I need/want and handle any job just fine. Yeah supposedly the warranty is no questions asked. Can deliberately snap it in two and send it in and get another one. The display in the SMKW store is pretty cool if ever get a chance to go.
The wife and I picked up both of our ESEE's there on different trips. We always make time for SMKW but avoid pigeon forge and gatlinburg the rest of the time. I know it's in Seiverville, but I don't like people and tourists...

I made the mistake of getting the Kerber Wrench knive instead of the izula. Kerber is an awesome blade, but I think I would have daily carried the izula 2 instead of my current everyday folder.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you’re looking for a nice $35 flipper check out the Honey Badger, offers choice of drop point, wharncleaver or claw (smooth or serrated) blades. Love my medium wharncleaver.

·
Registered
952 Posts
If you’re looking for a nice $35 flipper check out the Honey Badger, offers choice of drop point, wharncleaver or claw (smooth or serrated) blades. Love my medium wharncleaver.
Who makes it?

Nevermind. I see Honey Badger is the brand name...

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
A couple months ago I saw where there are a whole bunch of counterfeit knives out there. And the fakes are pretty much indistinguishable from the real ones. This even has me questioning a couple of my Kershaw/ZT knives since I bought them off Amazon.

From what I've learned, dang near anything could be a counterfeit these days. You have to make sure you are buying stuff from a reputable sources and even then you still never really know.

With that said, I'm looking another ZT from this site. I bought some Kershaw blades from him way back.

Kershawguy.com

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Sog was a key brand years ago, like many others though they changed most if not all manufacturing to China and quality dropped.
American made kershaw and zero tolerance are solid knives with good to great steel. Zt is above benchmade in build quality but benchmade often costs more. I’ve owned both and there’s a big difference. the only reason I still have 2 benchmade is zt does not make a comparable sized knife.
Oh good to know I’ll look into this more

21 - 33 of 33 Posts