Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was presented with a KP-1 that has ignition problems. Sometimes the owner says
that it goes boom and sometimes it just snaps . 1.After examining the gun, I have concluded that the rifle needs a stronger hammer spring.
2.Also the rifle has a strange safety block that is mounted on the hammer. This can accidently be flipped to the hammer block mode in low light conditions or in the heat of the moment when a big buck is feeding in front of the gun. Also this device could bleed off some force of the hammer even when in the fire position.
3. Also the hammer has a hammer extension which makes it easier for arthritic thumbs to cock the hammer.
I took the gun partially apart last night, I am having problems getting the right size hex bit to take out the screw that holds the stock on that is about 12 inches from the butt of the gun up inside the hollow synthetic stock. After a good nights sleep in my recliner, maybe things will go better today. Wish me good luck.

Reactions: LearCo

·
Registered
12,439 Posts
I know on my handi rifle I had to take the hammer extension off so the hammer could hit hard enough. That is most likely your problem. Shoot it without the extension and see how it goes.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I had a KP1 with 45-70 and 30-06 barrel great gun but got rid of it when they cancelled the line and quit making barrels for it.

Never had any problems but I do remember reading about some light strike problems/ no fire problems, but Knight came out with a fix. The neat thing on those rifles was that you can drop out the trigger group with no tools for cleaning. The issues that came up the warranty just required the owners to send in their trigger group module and they were shipped back a unit that didn't have the hammer block safety feature.

·
Premium Member
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish that I had read your reply this morning. I tried to find out something on a computer search and did not find any springs. After I took the barrel off and the butt stock off the receiver, I finally figured out what that little button with a spring was in the trigger guard. That was some neat engineering to remove the trigger group but I don,t care for the safety mounted on the hammer but I guess that I could get used to it. Thanks for both replies.
I am going to do some test firing without the hammer extension before I attempt putting a new hammer spring in . I have some Wolf gun springs that I can cut to fit. I got tired of paying 5 dollars and more per one spring plus shipping several years ago so I bought up a bunch in bulk.

Reactions: LearCo and BasMstr
1 - 4 of 4 Posts