Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is one I've half-heartedly been working on for over a year now, I guess. Was determined to get to the range today with it. I bought this barrel from a young man needing money for a short-barreled 6.5 Creedmoor build, along with a stock and Wyatt magazine well for a Remington short action. Said he'd putb10 rounds through the barrel. It is a 26" Criterion pre-
20200314_103558.jpg
20200314_094642.jpg
20200314_094644.jpg
20200314_093547.jpg
20200314_093536.jpg
20200314_093528.jpg
20200314_011619.jpg
20200314_011602.jpg
20200314_011547.jpg
fit chambered in 6.5x47 Lapua. That sports a small primer pocket for those of you who are not familiar. The case is very slightly shorter than a 6.5 Creedmoor with very slightly less case capacity. It operates at a higher pressure than a standard .260, so velocities are on par with the other 2 cartridges even though capacity is slightly less.

I epoxy bedded the barreled action in a Boyd's thumbhole stock. with vented forend. The barrel itself is a Varmint contour. Twist is 1:8. I didn't have a trigger guard that would fit, and didn't want to wait for the one I had in order. I found a stainless one that I ordered for an Axis build some time back and never used. It actually fit like a glove, so I went with it. The barrel is stainless steel, but is Cerakoted Graphite Black. The Action was new and a chrome moly repeater also coated to match the action. I replaced the Accu-Trigger spring with an aftermarket target spring, which has the trigger breaking around 1 3/4 lbs.

I made ammo from a combination of the best components in the world, so something good had to come from this. I had Lapua brass, Norma powder, Federal small rifle 205 Gold Match primers and 120 grain Nosler Ballistic tips. This is THE best deer bullet I have ever run across. It inverts them in their tracks from 75 yards out. I have ran them from muzzle velocities of 2800 f/s to 3300 f/s and the results are the same. They exit about half the time, but when they don't they are recovered under the skin on the off shoulder and have expanded 2X+ diameter and retain 50% of their original weight, as advertised. I have NEVER had a failure with these, and Nosler has recently made them a "seasonal" item. Anyway, I hope the young man loves his 14" 6.5 Creedmoor with a permanent "can", because he got rid of one heck of a fine barrel for it!

First group after a "fouling shot" to season the bore shown measured 0.188". All shots duplicated across the chronograph attesting to the fact that I've learned a thing or two over the years on the reloading bench. This may go up for sale once I get all the colors to match, but it is going to take some soul searching to part with. Especially since there is like ZERO recoil!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If you are VERY astute, you will notice the recoil lug is larger than standard factory. E. Authur Brown Company makes a very well machined 1/4" one that is worth every penny of what they charge!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't see that far! lol! This little cartridge will flat get it out there! I just use the 120 grain Ballistic Tips when I find them because they have plenty of BC to get as far as I care to try a shot, and I've never had a deer take more than 2 steps with particular caliber and weight. I'm not a distance target shooter, but nice to know I have a tool that's more accurate than I am to hunt with!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great feel, too. The thumbhole design is about done to death, but it works. It's just comfortable, and it takes away even more felt recoil. This one is a joy to shoot. My one gripe is that it's HEAVY. Not going to scoot up many trees packing this thing. I need to bring back the Barrett Fieldcraft for that. It is perfect for the shooting house or prone position on the mesa, however... QUOTE="DEADEYE 1, post: 1484123, member: 229"]That is one sweet looking shooter.[/QUOTE]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts