Learning to use a slate turkey call

Discussion in 'Pictures in General' started by GunnyGene, Mar 7, 2018.

1. GunnyGene

GunnyGene Distinguished Poster

George, a woodworking buddy who had a stroke a little over a year ago gave me the pieces I need to finish a slate call. He made several of these before his stroke. So I'm going to be practicing calls for the next week or 2. He said he can still do a little working on his lathe, and will be making a striker for me also.

These are 3 piece calls. The glass will be spaced slightly up from the cup bottom and glued in place then the slate of course gets glued on the small ledge around the circumference.

Hopefully, I'm smarter than the gobblers. ;)

[​IMG]

I found a couple web sites that cover how to use it with the various clucks, gobbles, yelps, etc.

One from RealTree (video demo) and a sound only of the common calls.

Video: How to Use a Slate Turkey Call

Wild Turkey Sounds

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    Mesquite and bar306 like this.
  2. Col Williamson

Col Williamson Distinguished Poster

I've made a few myself if you have any questions let me know it' pretty straight foward.

Mesquite likes this.

3. GunnyGene

Thanks, but I can finish the call, no problem. Just need to practice with it after I get the striker. :)

Mesquite likes this.
  4. deadhead

deadhead Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Try different strikers, you'll different pitches, the turkeys will tell you which one they like.

Mesquite likes this.
  5. GunnyGene

Got my slate pot put together and a simple striker I made out of some scrap bubinga.
    Been practicing some the last couple days. I know the slate needs to be roughed up, and I've watched a couple of videos that advise using a scotchbrite pad or various sandpaper grits to do that. What's your advice about it?

6. Redlick83

Redlick83 Distinguished Poster

Starkville
    Slate is soft and doesn’t require as coarse of sandpaper as some glass calls do. Scotchbrite works well as does 300-400grit sandpaper.

7. Ppoole84

Ppoole84 Distinguished Poster

Use scotchbrite sandpaper has a tendency to be to aggressive

Redlick83 likes this.
  8. deadhead

deadhead Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

On slate probably 400 grit, on your striker 120 if not 220 grit, don't be scared to sand it.
    Please do try different strikers, I carry glass, wood, and carbon, Midwest Turkey Call Supply carries many different ones.
    Turkey hunting is an addictive pastime, my wife used to say she was a turkey widow when season rolled around.
    Good Luck, hope you get a goodun!!!!

Mesquite and Redlick83 like this.
  9. GunnyGene

Thanks (to all). Right now I've only got the one wood striker, but did try out a antler point also, which seemed to work reasonably well for a short time.

deadhead likes this.
  10. HerrZnk

HerrZnk Distinguished Poster

The one time I called up turkeys was when I tore down the pump house over the well. We bought an old dairy farm (about 1/8th of it as far as land acreage goes) about 17 years ago. One fine April morning I starting pulling the huge nails out of the pump house and throwing the boards into a pile to go burn. Every time a nail sqauwked a turkey gobbled. I wasn't being quiet either. By the time I finished I had 4 gobblers in full strut in the hayfield on the edge of the woods about 100yds behind the house. This was before cell phones but I'm sure I have a hard copy photo somewhere. If I find it I'll scan it & post.

11. GunnyGene

Friend George finished up the striker (walnut) for the turkey call, so thought I'd post a pic. Sounds great. :)

I really appreciate him doing this, especially since he only has the use of one arm, which makes lathe work nearly impossible. I'm hoping I can bag a gobbler for him this season.:)

[​IMG]

12. MrClean

MrClean Distinguished Poster

Love seeing hand made turkey calls. My dad was a huge Turkey hunter. Although I don't go anymore, I still have a box full of his calls, at least half are hand made. Thanks for sharing this.

deadhead, dhollis51 and Mesquite like this.