Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back, a buddy of mine gave me a Lee Load All II 12 gauge shotshell reloading press. It had been disassembled (for reasons) and placed in a box. Until recently, it remained in that box. But now, it's all back together and ready to be put to work reloading the 400-500 (or more maybe) once fired Federal hulls that I've got lying around. Except, and here's the catch, I've never reloaded anything. I've watched many, many, many videos on how to use the Lee Load All II and feel very confident in my ability to perform the task at hand. However, I've no information on load recipes to go by (there were no printed materials with the press). I have no knowledge on types of powder, wads, primers. I've gone online to Grafs and Midway to order supplies, but I'm stumped by all the options. All I do is shoot trap and maybe I'll take up skeet later this year or next. My shotgun of choice at the moment is either my Mossy 500 or my Remington 1100 (it's getting old and I'm thinking of retiring it). At my local Club, the limit on shotshell for trap is 2 3/4", 3 dram, 1 & 1/8 oz, #7.5 or smaller. I usually buy the 100 round box of Federal 2 3/4", 3 dram, 1 & 1/8 oz, # 8 at Wally World for under $20. I know that by reloading my own shells I won't be saving any money, but I'm not fussed about that. I just wanna do it. So.. after all that faffing about.. let me get to my real question....

1. What is a good load recipe for 12 gauge shotshells for trap/skeet shooting?

2. What brand primers, powder, wads, and shot is most recommended?

3. Where in Mississippi is the best source for reloading components?

Please keep in mind that while I understand that I won't be saving money by loading my own shotshells, I am still trying to be frugal.

Let's Discuss....

·
Super Moderator
8,066 Posts
As far as your questions go . . .

1. I'd suggest asking Randy at @Southern Reloading. Most trap / skeet shooters reload Winchester AA or Remington STS / Gun Club hulls - which are tapered wall hulls. Your Federal hulls will be straight walled. Recipes will be different for tapered vs. straight wall hulls.
2. Once you figure out your answer to Question 1, then question 2 will be answered, as each recipe tells you what primer, wad, hull, powder, etc. to use with your given load.
3. Easiest question to answer of all. @Southern Reloading

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
Put a bead on shotgun reloading data | Hodgdon Reloading

Here is where you can get data for shotgun. Once you identify the type of hull you are using and the amount of shot you can take a look at the type of primer and wad you need. Just follow the stuff listed and you should be fine. Trying to subsitute things like hull and wads you have for what is listed can get you into trouble.

Randy should be able to fix you up with just about anything you need to load shotgun.

I prefer 2-3/4 dram loads for skeet and either 8 or 7-1/2 shot. One ounce loads are cheaper to load but I currently load 1-1/8 ounce since I need a different bar for my press to load 1 ounce. WST and WSF are common powders used for skeet and trap.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
You will also find the other powder companies also have load data on line. The link above is the one I normally use.

The reason I don't load much with 9 shot is, as the hulls start to wear out, they tend to leak sooner than using a bit larger shot. With 7-1/2 shot I normally get 2 to 4 more reloads before having to worry about the shot leaking out the end. Often I look for skeet loads with AA wads. Back in the day my favorite skeet hull was Peters Blue Magic. These days the closest hull I have found to those are Remington STS. Both feed well in any shotgun I have ever tried.

You might mess up a few hulls before you get things adjust right. After that, you will find it goes pretty well.

I load on a newer MEC 600 Jr. The 600 Jr. was my first press as well. There are several presses that will load faster but mine gets the job done.

·
Super Moderator
8,066 Posts
I load on a newer MEC 600 Jr. The 600 Jr. was my first press as well. There are several presses that will load faster but mine gets the job done
You think your press is slow? I reload my shotgun shells with powder & shot dippers, and these vintage hand tools.
vintage tools.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts