Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guess I going to try and speed up the rifle cartridge loading in the ammo plant. Made a bid on this thing on eBay of the absolute most I'd pay for it and apparently that was more than anyone wanted to pay for it and I won it. This is like the 12th one I've bid on lol Seems folks like to pay close to new prices on them.......not I lol

Robbed a few pics from the eBay listing.
IMG_5078.PNG
IMG_5079.PNG
IMG_5080.PNG

It is in ok shape....needs some cleaning but comes with everything I need (less dies) to load 308/223. Those are the two calibers I need to speed up on as I have burned thru most all of my 308 and working on my 223.

·
Premium Member
3,269 Posts
I’ve never used one. Let us know how you like it. I’m especially interested in how accurate the powder dispenser is.

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Both of mine came with a truck load of extras @ $150 from craigslist. One is set up for 38spl, 2.6 gr HP-38. I get 2.4 to 2.8, 80% are at 2.5. Case feed doesn't always give you up right cases. I miss or side ways or upside down primers at about 8%. I don't use the bullet feed.
One is set up for 40 SW, 4.1 gr HP-38, 80% are at 4.0. The rest is the same as above.
I removed the trap door on the bottom of the rams so spent primers drop into a container.
Both are out of cam for now. I'll clean the inside of the ram when I reset them.

·
Premium Member
14,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Both of mine came with a truck load of extras @ $150 from craigslist. One is set up for 38spl, 2.6 gr HP-38. I get 2.4 to 2.8, 80% are at 2.5. Case feed doesn't always give you up right cases. I miss or side ways or upside down primers at about 8%. I don't use the bullet feed.
One is set up for 40 SW, 4.1 gr HP-38, 80% are at 4.0. The rest is the same as above.
I removed the trap door on the bottom of the rams so spent primers drop into a container.
Both are out of cam for now. I'll clean the inside of the ram when I reset them.
On that tiny charge......Titan reloading (google it) has a printed disk that will even out the charge gap.

I've had problems with really light charges not filling out the disk hole evenly every time. Swapping powders helped (volume) on this.....for me,YMMV

·
Premium Member
14,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ve never used one. Let us know how you like it. I’m especially interested in how accurate the powder dispenser is.
I like the auto disc measure. I have 5 of them right now,the one coming will be number 6 and I have little doubt it will perform as the others do.
I'vehad problems with them but every one was overcome very easily.

Now that drum thing......that's a major POS. Leaky bastard

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've owned a couple of them and always have problems with primer feed, I do think that Lee has come out with a new part to rememedy by I don't have them anymore. they also just came out with another progressive that is cheaper and uses the breech lock bushings. The auto drum powder measure will work better after you cycle about 1 # of powder thru it

·
Premium Member
14,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've owned a couple of them and always have problems with primer feed, I do think that Lee has come out with a new part to rememedy by I don't have them anymore. they also just came out with another progressive that is cheaper and uses the breech lock bushings. The auto drum powder measure will work better after you cycle about 1 # of powder thru it
I have seen the breech lock/pro1000 love child and I am not impressed. I liked the looks of it at first but then I seen the priming setup on it.......barf lol

I have a pro1000 now and a auto indexing 3hole turret (I share the turrets between the two) and I can say that the only time the auto priming setup gives be problems on the pro1000 is when I let it run low. As long as I keep the tray full it's one pull/one cartridge.
Before I bought the pro1000 I watch countless YouTube vids and read as many forum post of folks bitching about the poor primer feeding.....I have experienced it a few times, mostly because the feed ramp was full of crap from dirty primer pockets emptying their filth in the ram hole. It takes all of two seconds with a can of compressed air or your lungs to clean it out,and your back in business.
I'm hoping for the same kind of luck here lol
If there's a way to make it work I will find it......or I'll shoot it.

As for the auto drum......if I tried to run a pound of powder thru it......half would be piled on the press and dies. That thing sucks.
Second thought
Now I don't know which one your referring to,there is an aluminum one and a plastic one. The one I had was plastic and was a miserable experience.
I was told..."get yourself a few extra drums"...I did that and it still leaked powder. It leaked everything I ran thru it but stick powder and it chewed that up and hung up on it. Idk.....maybe the one I had was just a fluke......but it was enough of a pita that I will never buy another.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've got 3 or 4 of the pro auto disk and have made a set of adjustable disc by drilling and tapping a hole in the front of them and use a long set screw that reaches into the hole, that way you can make them throw exactly what you want

·
Premium Member
14,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've got 3 or 4 of the pro auto disk and have made a set of adjustable disc by drilling and tapping a hole in the front of them and use a long set screw that reaches into the hole, that way you can make them throw exactly what you want
That sounds like an excellent idea! Would you happen to have a picture of how you do it?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'll try to get you a pic tomorrow; but its simple. Looking at the disc in the powder measure, I just drilled a hole from the 'front' into the front cavity that is being used; I drilled it 1 or 2 sizes below the correct tap drill so it would be a tight fit, then run a 1/4-20 tap into the hole and use set screws that are around 1" long. just screw it into the cavity to adjust the load.

·
Premium Member
14,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well......it has arrived.
IMG_5098.JPG

In pieces........oh lort!

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,096 Posts
Is that the Loadmaster? If so just box it back up and send it to me for a trail period to see if its any good....LOL.

At the least I would love a review on how it does, seriously thinking about one.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts