Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
7/1/17

LET’S RE-SHOOT THE BROWNING BXP X-POINT

Five months ago (2/1/17) we reported, in my “My New Mousegun” thread, the results of our running the Browning BXP X-point through the Mousegun. Those results were somewhat underwhelming – at least from our point of view.

Bullet performance from the Mousegun, in our demonstration, did not live up to the hype - “X-Point technology… designed to help the projectile expand reliably” or “…designed to dump energy into a target quickly...”.

And let me repeat the caveat from that 2/1/17 report:
“Now keep in mind, this is strictly in reference to my particular Mousegun and my personal preferences and prejudices. You need to make your own trials and decisions.”​

We concluded in that report that we would pull up that old saw, “longer barrel=higher velocity=better performance”, and see what the Browning will do then.

You can review that earlier report at: https://www.msgo.com/threads/my-new-mousegun.5417/page-17

And as we have done in the past, we got out the Bersa PPK-clone with the 27% more barrel length (i.e. effective bullet travel), according to our calculations, to see if we got the performance promised. Just for general information - in the past when we’ve had “performance failure” with the Mousegun, we’ve gone to the relatively longer barreled Bersa and we’ve gotten the desired (by our definitions) bullet performance.

TEMP MGO - Let’s Re-Shoot the Browning BXP X-point - INTRO.jpg

So that’s where we find ourselves today.

I’m not going to spend a lot of time on this new report. However, for the record, let me describe the set-up: a series of water-filled gallon plastic milk jugs 12 feet from the bench with a piece of cotton t-shirting and a piece of denim draped over the lead bottle. And that’s it.

For a bit of variety we didn’t go out to the Peaceful Dell. Rather, we drove up to Whitetail Ridge Outdoors. While at WRO we got in filming for this report and two future ones.

So we got set up (see the picture above) and took the shot.

TEMP MGO - Let’s Re-Shoot the Browning BXP X-point - SHOT.jpg

I can honestly say that this was a disappointment. For example, that lead bottle is still standing, about half full. It should have blown apart.

How did the bullet perform? We’re assuming here that with the 27% longer barrel in the Bersa we would have gotten increased velocity (and performance) over what we experienced with the Mousegun.

TEMP MGO - Let’s Re-Shoot the Browning BXP X-point - BULLET.jpg

Whoops! Well, I don’t know what happened to that quick energy dump and that reliable expansion.

Note that the bullet penetrated into the 6th bottle (that’s a long horizontal column of water) almost passing through that 6th bottle.

I think we’ll just leave it here and you can make your own decisions.

Please feel free to comment – good, bad, or ugly.

And thank you for spending your time in reading this,

Ed

·
Grouchy Old Fart
23,650 Posts
Good report. Shows that bullet maker's hype is rarely usable in the real world. It's not worth the extra money for these bullets.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Ed,
Quoting you from above, "...this is strictly in reference to my particular Mousegun and my personal preferences and prejudices..."
I would like to politely ask what are YOUR preferences in ammo choice?
I.e. bullet expansion, penetration, energy dump in the first few jugs, etc...excluding the obvious--reliability and accuracy

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ed,...I would like to politely ask what are YOUR preferences in ammo choice?
BreaksRackets

Welllll…(you’ll note I’m draggin’ out this reply) at this time, rightly or wrongly, my present carry load for the Mousegun is the Remington Ultimate Defense – Compact Handgun cartridge. Let me emphasize that “Compact Handgun”.

If you’d like to read about this, take a look in my “My New Mousegun” thread. I posted a report 3/7/16, “Remington Ultimate Defense - Compact Handgun Rounds - TO CORRECT AN ERROR”. That report will explain, more or less, why I find myself where I am.

You’ll find it at: https://www.msgo.com/threads/my-new-mousegun.5417/page-14

Let me know what you think.

Ed

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Man, I got lost. That link led me to the last page (I'm on tapatalk)...finally found it....20+ pages later.

Good expansion. Didn't see the penetration depth (# of jugs), no reliability problems (HST) and lower cost than boutique rounds.
Answers my question

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...Didn't see the penetration depth (# of jugs) ...
Good lord!!

I can't believe I failed to include that.

Went back to my original on the hard drive and sure 'nough it ain't there, and my notes on that shoot don't exist any more.

What a jerk! Sorry about that.

Ed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts