Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
Let's go shoot some, we dont want to wound anything.
7,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Have you tried Ballistol Gun Lubricant?
2. Do you use it on a regular basis?
3.Do you use it inside the barrel and action?
4.Do you use it on gun stocks, wood or synthetic?

·
μολὼν λαβέ
41,412 Posts
No I have not though I am thinking of trying it.

Reactions: rc

·
Registered
20,153 Posts
Never tried it, but it's been around since 1905.

Here's the MSDS for it:

Excerpt:

Ballistol contains the following ingredients:
Mineral Oil
Potassium Oleate
Ammonium Oleate
Oleic Acid
Benzyl Alcohol
Amyl Alcohol
Isobutyl Alcohol
Benzyl Acetate
Anethole
Isohexane (aerosol only)
These substances are either natural substances or they are the chemical
equivalents of natural substances. For example: an alcohol is a natural substance
regardless of whether is was produced in a laboratory, in a destillery or in a
rotting apple under an apple tree.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Not a gunsmith, but have used Balistol. It stinks to high heaven and if purchased as a concentrate should be diluted with water. Use it on my black powder cap & ball revolvers as it cuts through BP fouling well. Seems to emulsify well enough in water if agitated vigorously and in an experiment I found that it will leave a film of lubricant behind once it’s water content has evaporated. I do not recommend this for firearms but for some of my hand tools, I often apply a light coating and quickly wipe with a shop rag before storage. Has been preventing rust on said tools for several years now.

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
26,338 Posts
1. No
2. No
3. No
4. No

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I still have the first can I bought to try around 7 months ago. I have sprayed it on some stuff on tractor and a few guns. It says it protects the metal surface from fingerprint rusting. I wondered how it would work in actions, not being soil based lubricant and being bio-degradable.

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How about Break-Free? I have used it cleaning inside actions and barrels with good results. But I am still experimenting with various brands.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Like Chris Boyd, I use it on my black powder guns since the mid 90's. Works very well on fouling. Also use as a lubricant and cleaner on the ram on my rock chucker and RCBS case trimmer. Never used it to clean modern firearms

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
It emulsifies with water due to the chemical content. I can go there if you wish (B.S. chemistry, USM, 1984).
It was issued to troops beginning in WW1 both for equipment care, wound care, and for digestive issues. Yes they ingested it.
It is German. So it is good for weapons and equipment. They don't mess around with such things. Alles muss richtig funktionieren! Everything MUST work correctly!
But then yes I'm a bit partial to such things. I recommend it highly, though there are alternatives such as Remoil, strictly for lubrication, for rust prevention it needs to be re-applied periodically. CLP aka Break Free has served with various branches of the military since the 1980s as both cleaner and lubricant. But you can't drink it to stop your intestinal issues. Ballistol even markets a product specifically for wound care, it is used in hospitals for prevention of bed sores, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’ve had great results from Barricade for a protective wipe down on metal and stocks. Not greasy at all. I use a clp to clean and FP-10 to lube. Pro-shot gold grease for heavy wear spots. Just my two cents. Ballistol is pretty toxic from what I have read.

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
I’ve had great results from Barricade for a protective wipe down on metal and stocks. Not greasy at all. I use a clp to clean and FP-10 to lube. Pro-shot gold grease for heavy wear spots. Just my two cents. Ballistol is pretty toxic from what I have read.
German soldiers drink Ballistol when they have, uh, gastrointestinal issues. Not saying it is palatable, but not toxic.

·
Registered
156 Posts
1. Have you tried Ballistol Gun Lubricant?
2. Do you use it on a regular basis?
3.Do you use it inside the barrel and action?
4.Do you use it on gun stocks, wood or synthetic?
Yes to all 4. It is a great product not only for the metal but the wood too.

Reactions: DEADEYE 1

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Something I have tried in the last year and I am impressed with barrel cleaning inside and some on outside.It is Lucas CLP. It works good as a solvent and has lubricant ability. I will buy more. I plan to mix up a concoction for cleaning and lube and want something that will protect from rust as well.But I will probably have some of the tried and true products as well to compare to and use.

·
Infidel
4,674 Posts
I have the ballistol aerosol can, for some reason it makes me gag it stinks so bad, not kidding, I won’t be purchasing it again! It does work tho! Just can’t get past the stench. CLP, frog lube, or WD40 for me!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts