Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently at the range, when I fired the last round in the magazine, the spent brass did not eject. Slide is stuck about 3/8" in the rear position. Was able to remove the barrel bushing, recoil spring, and recoil spring plug. Cannot get the slide to go back any further. Guessing possibly something with the barrel link? Anyone have any experience with anything similar? What to do next?
Eyewear Material property Font Bicycle part Rectangle

·
Super Moderator
13,788 Posts
With out seeing it in person, a couple things come to mind. You have to get the stuck slide off. In my limited experience there are 2 ways to do this besides hand racking or bracing the slide against a solid surface and pushing the frame forward. It’s a little late in my reply but I want to stress that I am NOT a qualified gunsmith by any means, I have worked on a couple 1911’s though. When I was apprenticing with Sum Gy I saw this problem a few times. If the above methods didn’t free up the slide he would put a snug fitting block in the mag well and secure the frame in a vice with rubber jaws. If a couple wacks with a rubber mallet to the barrel/muzzle end of the slide didn’t free it up he would try the same with a dead blow hammer. That would usually work. I only saw him resort to this last method one time when the above failed. He spent a couple hours getting the stuck frame/slide set up perfectly square and true in his mill and milled/drilled out the pin going through the barrel link. The stuck parts then came apart fairly easy. Again, I am NOT a gunsmith of any sort, I just hung around one that was pretty dang good with 1911’s. Sorry for the long winded post. Good luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate the input Phillip. The first two methods, thus far, have resulted in no movement. Will try to find a block and mount in a vice in the near future.

·
Custodial Engineer at Third Monkey Outfitters
3,205 Posts
I have made a block out of wood also that encompassed the frame and put in vice. Wood blocking is often forgotten but can prove effective. Have done the same for a few barrels as well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got the slide off the frame yesterday. Used a wood block in the mag well to mount the gun in a vice. Used a piece of oak and a dead-blow hammer to knock the slide back. Continued to knock the barrel out of the slide with a punch and hammer. Discovered that the barrel had expanded in the chamber area. No signs of overpressure in the spent casing. The load was 6.5 gr of unique behind a Speer 230 gr #4691 bullet. 50th anniversary Lyman book shows max powder charge of 7.3 gr unique behind a 225 gr lead bullet with a similar profile. Using an RCBS Pro Chucker 5 progressive press. Don't believe I could have double charged. As the slide and all other parts seem undamaged, looks like a new barrel is in my future.

·
Premium Member
Let's go shoot some, we dont want to wound anything.
6,774 Posts
Do you think it happened just after the bullet left the case? If you get to some hypothesis of why it happened, I would like to know. I mostly see stuff happen in shotgun barrels where there is an obstruction in the barrel. At least you know what it will take to repair your 1911.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My buddy thinks that the bullet wasn't crimped well and when the cartridge was pushed into the chamber the bullet came out of the casing and moved down the barrel about an inch. He said that this would allow the powder charge to build up pressure before starting to move the bullet causing an over pressure condition thus expanding the barrel. I am not sure.

·
Premium Member
Let's go shoot some, we dont want to wound anything.
6,774 Posts
That and I wonder if the barrel may have had a hairline crack. When examining revolvers I have found hairline cracks before. I have a Smith and Wesson semi auto pistol that has a crack in the slide just under the barrel. I thought about soldering it but I am going to send it back to S&W and see if they will replace the slide. I bought the pistol used and bought several that particular day and did not notice it till later. I believe that a laser light was either mounted wrong or came loose and caught the front edge of the slide. That taught me to look them over better even when getting a good price from a friend. I dont believe he knew it though.

Reactions: kelhow
1 - 12 of 12 Posts