Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a project in mind,using my CNC machine to turn out some reloading blocks. I’m probably going to try and sketch out a few different styles that make some of the processes simpler for us reloaders.
that being said.......I may need some input and a few test subjects that can sit down upon receiving one and try it out. I have one man now and will pm a couple more once I have time to sit down and actually draw a few ideas.

Being a person that doesn’t do a lot of single stage loading (just the tester rounds to find a decent load) I find that a snug hole (there’s a joke there I know) works best for keeping the case still as I place the funnel and add powder. I also fill that height adds in this as well.

I’ll be making some individual blocks that have a tray on one end (bullet retention) and maybe a few with trays on either end. The idea there is added weight for stability. Probably some simple ones with holes only.

I may also play with making something that mounts under the press......either to drop a tray in or with everything cut within it.

This is all just thought at the moment and I will probably take my time going after it.

Questions/comments/concerns appreciated.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Here’s a thought for you. How about a tray that can hold all the individual small tools needed occasionally? I’m thinking primer pocket reamers and cleaners, hand punch primer remover, chamfer/debut tool, etc. I drilled some holes in a wooden block to hold all these. Looks like crap but it’s functional.

·
Premium Member
13,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here’s a thought for you. How about a tray that can hold all the individual small tools needed occasionally? I’m thinking primer pocket reamers and cleaners, hand punch primer remover, chamfer/debut tool, etc. I drilled some holes in a wooden block to hold all these. Looks like crap but it’s functional.
What brand tools? I’m sure there are different diameter shanks/handles. I like the idea.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a project in mind,using my CNC machine to turn out some reloading blocks. I’m probably going to try and sketch out a few different styles that make some of the processes simpler for us reloaders.
that being said.......I may need some input and a few test subjects that can sit down upon receiving one and try it out. I have one man now and will pm a couple more once I have time to sit down and actually draw a few ideas.

Being a person that doesn’t do a lot of single stage loading (just the tester rounds to find a decent load) I find that a snug hole (there’s a joke there I know) works best for keeping the case still as I place the funnel and add powder. I also fill that height adds in this as well.

I’ll be making some individual blocks that have a tray on one end (bullet retention) and maybe a few with trays on either end. The idea there is added weight for stability. Probably some simple ones with holes only.

I may also play with making something that mounts under the press......either to drop a tray in or with everything cut within it.

This is all just thought at the moment and I will probably take my time going after it.

Questions/comments/concerns appreciated.
I'm really interested in this project, nice idea. Keep us updated please

·
Blessed are the peacemakers
1,215 Posts
If you need a guinea pig for a test fit on a Lee Breechlock Challenger then I can be the guinea pig, it sounds like a neat idea.

Reactions: Ellis93

·
Premium Member
13,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
The first loading trays I made were oak for 38spl, 3/4" board, 7/16" Forester bit, 5/8" deep, 1/16" space between holes. Some were for 50 rds and some 100 rds. I can load powder in 3 rows and turn them around to powder the other 2 using a Lee Perfect Powder Measure. 38spl and 357 cases flop a bit moving from one case to the next. Should have used 1" oak and a deeper hole. 9mm needs about 1/2" depth.
Drilling wood soak it in water first.

·
Premium Member
13,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One idea I’ve had for the single stage press. Nothing concrete and drawn in pin by what looks like my 10yr old.

Id leave the press labeled section milled out or leave it whole to mount between the press/bench

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,445 Posts
I like the concept , but I like it simple like leaving the tool tray of and have a solid block, with maybe a single bullet tray up front.. Usually I will size and prime putting into a used 9 mm tray. Then I add powder moving those to a different tray, then bullet to the original tray, then crimp back to the other try. LOL but it works for me.

·
Registered
12,645 Posts
Another potential source is sams, they sell a large uhmw or similar material cutting board for about $9. They are about 1/2” thick

·
Registered
341 Posts
What brand tools? I’m sure there are different diameter shanks/handles. I like the idea.
i use mostly Lee tools. I’m sure the diameters for different brands would be similar.
Here‘s another idea. I collect odd brass and keep one example of each caliber on a shelf above my bench. I also have my dummy rounds for the calibers I load. They are just stored in empty cartridge blocks. Some fit fine while others are either too large or too small. It would be nice to have a block with caliber-sized holes to hold the cartridges.
Another idea. How about a box to hold various case length gages?

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
To me, rectangular blocks are easier to work with than square blocks. A tool / bullet tray is okay feature but find that I don't use them much. Prefer Arco bins for bullets. What might be a nice feature though is a hole for a case gauge. The Wilson, Lyman and Sheridan gagues all seem to be about the same size.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts