Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,637 Posts
I do the same. Sometimes with, sometimes without the silica packs. I do keep the large silica packs in my gun safes.
Though I have a few .30 caliber metal ammo cans, I use more of the Harbor Freight plastic cans of the same size. They're considerably cheaper, especially with the coupon, plus they seem to stack better for me.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Ever so often a seller at the auction house will have ammo cans. Most of the time they are 30 and 50 cal cans. Lately they have been 40 MM, 60 MM and 81 MM. They might sell for $5 one night and $25 the next.
They had a stack of cans at Trade days down in Coldwater, 15 each or 2 for 20. They were Lithuanian cans for 6.8 ammo IIRC, they were 50 cal sized though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a guy tell me that he packed the ammo crate full of factory boxes. Then he heated the inside of the ammo can with a hairdryer for 1 minute. Then quickly threw in a couple of silica packs fresh out of the oven and sealed the ammo crate.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I had a guy tell me that he packed the ammo crate full of factory boxes. Then he heated the inside of the ammo can with a hairdryer for 1 minute. Then quickly threw in a couple of silica packs fresh out of the oven and sealed the ammo crate.
I'm sure his RH% may be slightly lower, but I am not doing all that. I cant imagine a hair dryer being that effective at heating a packed ammo can in 1 minute anyways.

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
11,160 Posts
Bulk ammo is loose. Hunting ammo and specially ammo is still in factory boxes or plastic MTM cases. All stored in metal cans. Stored inside with humidity controlled.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Most is in MTM boxes and stored inside ammo cans, either military style or HF plastic. I do have one can of bulk 223 that is just loose in an ammo can.

·
Rational Anarchist
14,848 Posts
I’m keeping most of mine in ammo cans, usually with desiccant bags thrown in. I keep all of it in the climate controlled portion of the house not exposed to elements. I personally think that probably does more to protect it than the ammo cans.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Bulk ammo is loose. Hunting ammo and specially ammo is still in factory boxes or plastic MTM cases. All stored in metal cans. Stored inside with humidity controlled.
Pretty much the same here except I have very few MTM boxes; I prefer not to use plastic. This paid off recently in a house fire where all my ammo and supplies made it through. If they had been stored in plastic that would not have been the case.

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
11,160 Posts
Pretty much the same here except I have very few MTM boxes; I prefer not to use plastic. This paid off recently in a house fire where all my ammo and supplies made it through. If they had been stored in plastic that would not have been the case.
If the plastic in the ammo cans gets hot enough to melt then I'd imagine if were loose they'd probably be unsafe to shoot anyway.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
If the plastic in the ammo cans gets hot enough to melt then I'd imagine if were loose they'd probably be unsafe to shoot anyway.
Yeah, in ammo cans I tend to agree.

·
Super Moderator
8,637 Posts
Reactions: Hoot G
1 - 20 of 28 Posts