Mississippi Gun Owners banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
How do y’all store ammo long term? I personally put factory boxes in metal Ammo cans with 4 silica packs per can.
I do the same thing with my spare ammo.

·
Registered
7,485 Posts
What kind of desiccant packs do y’all use and where do you get them in bulk?
I use the small packs found in shipping boxes.
Debbie wanted me to go shoe shopping with her. Not my best at looking at shoes. I got to looking around and noticed the desiccant packs in shoe boxes so I started filling my pockets. The store help walked by and didn't say anything. As we were cashing out she gave me 2 shopping bags of desiccant packs.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I use the small packs found in shipping boxes.
Debbie wanted me to go shoe shopping with her. Not my best at looking at shoes. I got to looking around and noticed the desiccant packs in shoe boxes so I started filling my pockets. The store help walked by and didn't say anything. As we were cashing out she gave me 2 shopping bags of desiccant packs.
I collect those little bags that are sometimes packed in different item I or my wife order. My wife makes sure I get the ones she finds. Over time I have filled a sealed container with the little bags. As I put ammo into a metal ammo box, I put two or three of the bags in the box just before closing it up. I imagine a full box would be okay without the bags, but why take a chance.

·
Registered
880 Posts
So, even though ammo is stored in sealed ammo cans and indoors in a climate controlled home, the desiccant packs are still necessary? Or is it just extra precaution? Is it the ammo can storage that causes concern about humidity or condensation? I’ve got ammo that has been on a bookshelf for years and has no signs of any deterioration or damage. I also have some that has been in ammo cans with no signs of deterioration. I’ve never used desiccant packs.

I may start saving those little packs and tossing a few in the cans. Some of the larger ones from online retailers can be pricey.

·
Registered
156 Posts
So, even though ammo is stored in sealed ammo cans and indoors in a climate controlled home, the desiccant packs are still necessary? Or is it just extra precaution? Is it the ammo can storage that causes concern about humidity or condensation? I’ve got ammo that has been on a bookshelf for years and has no signs of any deterioration or damage. I also have some that has been in ammo cans with no signs of deterioration. I’ve never used desiccant packs.

I may start saving those little packs and tossing a few in the cans. Some of the larger ones from online retailers can be pricey.
Most electronics have a small desiccant pack in the packaging. I save them and use them only in ammo cans since living in Mississippi, the air is usually humid so, even though ammo cans have a rubber seal in the lid, you still have at least a small amount of this humid air that will be trapped inside the ammo can. I try to fill my ammo cans as full as I can, plus I keep the ammo in its original packaging. I now have a clear plastic bag sealer that draws all the air out of the bag, and then seals the bag. I may try sealing some ammo this way, then store it in an ammo can.

Reactions: jrickhsr
21 - 28 of 28 Posts