WTB Looking for certain older Abu Garcia baitcasting reels for repair

Discussion in 'Items for Sale/Wanted- Not related to firearms' started by DoyleAlley, Apr 18, 2018.

1. DoyleAlley

DoyleAlley Distinguished Poster

I'm looking to teach myself how to rebuild certain Abu Garcia baitcasting reels. Specifically, I'm looking for reels in the 5500, 6500, and 7000 series that are either in need of a tuneup or rebuild (or sometimes even parts reels). I don't want to spend lots of money on this exercise, so I'm looking for stuff that somebody may have laying around in the garage collecting dust.

Let me know what you have and maybe we can work something out.

Mesquite and phillipd like this.
  2. Mesquite

Mesquite Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I have a old 7000, don't want to let it go, but it could probably use a tune up. Its probably from early 80s.
    Actually,think i bought it in 80.

phillipd likes this.

3. phillipd

phillipd Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

columbus
    Good luck. I've been collecting and using these for awhile. I was given my first when I was a kid in 1979 after offering to cut our neighbor's grass for it. Almost 30 years later I have about 60 or 70 of them ranging from the 3500's to 7000 series. They are the best reels ever made. They used to be common in pawn shops and I paid from $10-$30 for them. Like all the old stuff they are getting harder to find and more expensive. The last one I bought was $50 and it bout killed me but it had the box and paper work with it. They are easy to build with a few cheap hand tools and some patience. The schematics are available online. Out of all the ones I have, I haven't been able to find is an orange one that I was willing to pay the price. A buddy has one that is unused and won't sell. I really want an orange one

Yarob, 22lrfan, oldguns and 1 other person like this.
  4. BasMstr

BasMstr Distinguished Poster

I’ll keep a look out for ya...

phillipd and 22lrfan like this.
  5. DoyleAlley

The 7000s are kind of unique in that their innards are really different from the 5500/6500, etc. That is one I haven't had the chance to take apart yet. Maybe one day I'll get my hands on one and dive in.

phillipd and Mesquite like this.
  6. oldguns

oldguns Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Ellisville
    I remember feeling like Bill Dance with my 5500c and Speed Stick back in 1976. I worked with an engineer that used a 6000 and long casting rod to catch nice Dorado offshore. I used to see AGs in pawn shops and antique stores. Now everyone can googl them and their value.

Yarob, Mesquite and phillipd like this.
  7. phillipd

columbus
    Do you have a parts source? If you want to practice and learn, I'll bring you a couple at a time to go through. I'll buy the needed parts and pay the labor. Just lemme know. I found a bag last week in the spare bedroom at grandpa's house that had 17 in it along with 2 Pfluegers and a Shakespeare. I have no recollection of them or how they got there

oldguns, Mesquite and BasMstr like this.
  8. canebreaker

canebreaker Distinguished Poster

First chance I get I'll go through the parts I have and give you a list.

Mesquite likes this.
  9. DoyleAlley

I was going to buy parts as needed on fleabay. I've got a 6500 from the mid 70's that needs a complete spool assembly. I've found spools for newer models pretty easily but that one is kind of an oddball.

phillipd and Mesquite like this.
  10. lazi

lazi Distinguished Poster

I have an old Any Garcia I bought from a pawn shop to learn bait casters. I opened it and took it down but something didn't go back together right. It worked fine before I did my thing. Now it "slips" and stops raking in line.

Anyways... As much as I may want to fix it I know Abu Garcia isn't my brand. I'm a Pflueger fan and have bought a couple reels similar to the Abu Garcia. I won't miss it

PM me...

phillipd likes this.
  11. DoyleAlley

Well, I successfully rebuilt my first Ambassadeur. It was the first baitcaster I ever bought - a 5500C from about 1990. I remember having to rescue it while fishing one time. I had taken my wife and 4 year old son out catfishing. While I was fooling around baiting my son's hook, a fish hit that rod and started pulling it out of the boat. I halfway dived over the side with my upper body under water and my legs still in the boat. I kept my eyes open and saw a flash of silver that I was able to snag. Then my wife helped pull me in with the saved rod and reel. Well, I had only dried it out and never properly cleaned it so it was in need of some TLC but there was nothing truly "broken" there. I felt like a watchmaker with all the parts laying out.

I replaced the two spool bearings with ABEC 5 hybrid stainless/ceramic bearings. It doesn't free-spool spin like the newer C3 and C4 models (with more bearings instead of bushings) but it works as good as it did when new. I replaced the stock felt drag washers with carbontex fiber washers so those are a definite improvement over stock. Now, all I have to do is spool it with line and it will be ready to fish.

I'm ready to try another one.

phillipd and SLBcmtr like this.
  12. Southern Reloading

Southern Reloading Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

How many you want if this is still good!!!

phillipd likes this.
  13. DoyleAlley

I'm not looking to start a business. This is just my own hobby interest to teach myself a new "old-age" skill. If you have some that could be good for that kind of project then I'd be interested.

14. Yarob

Yarob Distinguished Poster

oldguns, phillipd and BasMstr like this.
  15. DoyleAlley

Phillip, I read on another website that the orange ones (not the current Catfish Special orange reels) were made specifically for the Japanese market. That is why they are scarce in the US.

phillipd likes this.
  16. Yarob

Yarob Distinguished Poster

I remember several years back when Academy was blowing out one of their exclusive models; a burgundy 4XXX size WITH a push button (not a fan of the cast bar) for $25 bucks! I bought several. They also near that time offered a gold push button 4XXX reel...bought a lot of those too. I'm a sucker for a push button 4XXX sized Ambassadeur. Here's a green push button 4000 I cobbled together from one of the burgandy reels and some new green sideplates I had.

[​IMG]

17. 3spop

3spop Distinguished Poster

We used to fix the worn pawls with aluminum foil.

phillipd likes this.
  18. phillipd

columbus
  19. Reloader

Reloader Distinguished Poster

I have a Garcia by Mitchell made in France. I have probably had it 50 years. It has two spools, one for a lot of line and another that uses a lot less. Model LH301. In original box but I don't remember if the paperwork is under the inside box. Anyone interested? Garcia 1.JPG Garcia 2.JPG Garcia 2.JPG

phillipd likes this.