Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,737 Posts
Curious as to what’s too long?
This time of year can get crazy for gunsmiths. And many will have a backlog of work year round.
You tell us. How long would it take for you to D&T and install a front sight on a revolver or a rifle?

·
Premium Member
Let's go shoot some, we dont want to wound anything.
6,330 Posts
30 minutes to round up everything. Two hours to get in Zen. 15 minutes to drill and tap. I can,t find my glasses.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You tell us. How long would it take for you to D&T and install a front sight on a revolver or a rifle?
Due to the 2016 ITAR guidance, for rifles and handguns, I only D&T for sights/scopes if the gun originally had them. So not many instances I’d do that now. (It’s a long story, but easily googled. Basically govt overeaches).
However a job like that would fall under my “Quick Turn” list which currently runs about 6-8 weeks. That list includes cleanings and repairs that I’m pretty certain as to how I’d proceed.
Blueing, coatings, wood refinish, and repairs that I don’t see an obvious answer to, go in the main lineup, which usually runs 4-6 months. Wood refinishes are the one job I’m most likely to run past estimated times on.
While my timeframes are longer than some, I make sure to clearly let the customer know up front to prevent misunderstandings.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,737 Posts
Due to the 2016 ITAR guidance, for rifles and handguns, I only D&T for sights/scopes if the gun originally had them. So not many instances I’d do that now. (It’s a long story, but easily googled. Basically govt overeaches).
However a job like that would fall under my “Quick Turn” list which currently runs about 6-8 weeks. That list includes cleanings and repairs that I’m pretty certain as to how I’d proceed.
Blueing, coatings, wood refinish, and repairs that I don’t see an obvious answer to, go in the main lineup, which usually runs 4-6 months. Wood refinishes are the one job I’m most likely to run past estimated times on.
While my timeframes are longer than some, I make sure to clearly let the customer know up front to prevent misunderstandings.
So gun has front sight , shorten barrel re-install sight. So I guess you could do that since barrel originally had a front sight.

Wow really wood refinishing unless you are dealing with checkering is basically easy for me. You evidently have allot of work for those times.

·
Deplorable Curmudgeon
17,021 Posts
Totally Focused
601 695 7906
Hwy 84 west of Brookhaven [lincoln county]

·
Registered
432 Posts
Wow,I never realized that there's rules to this . Learn something new everyday. I have a old Stevens I want to have D&T I never would have guessed it would be an issue.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,737 Posts
Wow,I never realized that there's rules to this . Learn something new everyday. I have a old Stevens I want to have D&T I never would have guessed it would be an issue.
Yes read up on that myself yesterday. Seems that the Gov has over reached again as that ITAR is supposed to deal solely with manufacturing. Repairs are not manufacturing but it is of opinion (not law) that gunsmithing that use any machinery to cut, drill or lathe falls under it which it truly does not.

That said guess I will figure out how to D&T a front sight.

Funny I wonder how many gunsmiths are paying that bribe to mill sights and such?

·
Premium Member
6,330 Posts
With all the gobberment rules, we will never run out of recycled paper for the outhouse or the big house. I put a scope on a old antique 22 rifle for a old hunter before they made scopes for 22s. I never thought that made outhouse guide books.

·
Registered
67 Posts
U
So gun has front sight , shorten barrel re-install sight. So I guess you could do that since barrel originally had a front sight.

Unfortunately, cutting and crowning a barrel also falls under ITAR.

Wow really wood refinishing unless you are dealing with checkering is basically easy for me. You evidently have allot of work for those times.

I’m just real picky about wood and often knock back and apply finish with many thin applications, and then use rubbing compounds and wax when done.

·
Registered
67 Posts
A lot of gunsmiths are actually licensed as manufacturers and pay ITAR fees from the beginning.
I licensed up as a gunsmith approx 18 years ago. Did not need to become a manufacturer or deal with ITAR as I only worked on the customers gun. If a gunsmith buys a gun or receiver and does certain work to it with the intent to sell, they are considered manufacturing. The fees as of 2016 was around $2250 a year. Being I’d been doing work that was suddenly classified as manufacturing, if I wanted to continue those operations, I’d have to pay for at least 5 of the previous years and plus pay ahead for the coming year. 6 years fees due to a rule change in the middle of the game wasn’t worth the little work I’d lose over it. If they’d have simply let you start paying from the time of the change (without paying back time) then the cost could have been covered by raising prices on the jobs covered by it.
Supposedly Trump was supposed to have had Gunsmithing removed from under ITAR DDTC and moved to Commerce Dept with little to no fees but of course that hasn’t happened.
The NRA also has done nothing to help. Big manufacturers were already paying the fees which would only be a drop in the bucket for them, so they aren’t trying fight it either.
But honestly, it’s been a help to me by allowing me to streamline some of my work, as I already have a strong client base and never can get caught up working 7 days a week.
Yes read up on that myself yesterday. Seems that the Gov has over reached again as that ITAR is supposed to deal solely with manufacturing. Repairs are not manufacturing but it is of opinion (not law) that gunsmithing that use any machinery to cut, drill or lathe falls under it which it truly does not.

That said guess I will figure out how to D&T a front sight.

Funny I wonder how many gunsmiths are paying that bribe to mill sights and such?

·
Premium Member
6,330 Posts
Thanks for the enlightenment. Being free does not mean free. There is a tax in there somewhere.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts