Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been browsing the pawn shops looking for an AR .223 one pawnshop offers 12 months same as cash type deal walk out with ya gun and pay as you go. Now my question is what names should i look for on the lower end of the spectrum for a modable ar. I found one and the name slips my mind now but it was like 400ish out the door.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea i didn't grab it because i never heard of the name and i cant remember what it was named they usually run in the mid 5s around Meridian and Newton

·
Registered
102 Posts
I been browsing the pawn shops looking for an AR .223 one pawnshop offers 12 months same as cash type deal walk out with ya gun and pay as you go. Now my question is what names should i look for on the lower end of the spectrum for a modable ar. I found one and the name slips my mind now but it was like 400ish out the door.
i want to move where you are, that sounds like a great pawn shop. the best we have here in n.e. Ga is a lay a way plan and you don't get the gun until it is paid for in full.

·
Registered
648 Posts
They're kinda like legos where you can pretty much throw any manufactures parts on any other manufactures rifle. I've had a few franken AR-15s and wouldn't worry about the brand name too much if just looking for a cheap plinker.

If you wait till black friday/cyber monday check the usual spots like Ammunition, AR15 Parts, Magazines, Bulk Ammo - Palmetto State Armory and JSE Surplus and you can probably put one together in the $400-$500 range. Usually at least one place will have a "kit" with everything but the lower for around $400. PSA usually has blemished lowers for cheap on black friday, or anderson brands are almost always around $40-$50 + transfer fee.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
It depends on what your budget is. I saw a few places recently that had the Ruger AR 556 for around $600. Palmetto State Armory often has models around $500. Honestly, $500 would probably be my floor for a new one. Anything below that, and they are probably cutting corners somewhere. As others have pointed out, if you build one yourself, you can probably get near the $400 range. It will be tough to get a new complete rifle at that price.

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
I prefer to put mine together myself with the parts i want, rather than buy an off the shelf model and upgrade later. I do not have exact totals ,but the 762x39 upper i just finished is set up the way i want it and it did not cost any extra (probably less) than the one palmetto state sells assembled

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
I'm doing my first build, and I mostly agree, but I can see why people don't do it. If I didn't have a buddy with all the tools and experience doing it, I probably would not have built one. I wasn't going to buy all the tools just to do one rifle.

Reactions: phillipd

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
10,688 Posts
I'd be interested to see what a $400 pawn shop AR looks like because I've only seen them selling for around $600 used and off brand (Core15, Diamondback, ATI).
Wouldn't have any problem with a core15 even if not a mainstream company. May not have a horse on the side but I love mine. Has ran flawlessly and parts fit just as they should. My favorite out of mine which others include complete RRA, diamond back pistol, Anderson lower/PSA upper pistol build, and S&W. Never have had a problem with the diamond back, but I've replaced just about everything except the takedown/pivot pins lol. But have to agree with above mentioned- only way to go is to build. That way get what you want from the beginning and it's super fun doing it. Only positive to replacing parts is eventually having enough to put together a complete gun for $420

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
Wouldn't have any problem with a core15 even if not a mainstream company. May not have a horse on the side but I love mine. Has ran flawlessly and parts fit just as they should. My favorite out of mine which others include complete RRA, diamond back pistol, Anderson lower/PSA upper build, and S&W. Never have had a problem with the diamond back, but I've replaced just about everything except the takedown/pivot pins lol. But have to agree with above mentioned- only way to go is to build. That way get what you want from the beginning and it's super fun doing it. Only positive to replacing parts is eventually having enough to put together a complete gun for $420
I have only been building my own for a short time and i already have a fairly large pile of extras.. I did manage to misplace that pistol buffer tube i got from you though. Had planned to swap it for the one thats on mine now.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Wouldn't have any problem with a core15 even if not a mainstream company. May not have a horse on the side but I love mine. Has ran flawlessly and parts fit just as they should. My favorite out of mine which others include complete RRA, diamond back pistol, Anderson lower/PSA upper pistol build, and S&W. Never have had a problem with the diamond back, but I've replaced just about everything except the takedown/pivot pins lol. But have to agree with above mentioned- only way to go is to build. That way get what you want from the beginning and it's super fun doing it. Only positive to replacing parts is eventually having enough to put together a complete gun for $420
I have no issues with any of them and didn't mean to imply that. I think the upper and lower receivers are all made by the same four manufactures with the only difference being the rollmark. My issue is that most pawn shops are selling used ATIs for the price of a new S&W Sporter. If they're selling at that price, then I guess good for them.

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
10,688 Posts
I have no issues with any of them and didn't mean to imply that. I think the upper and lower receivers are all made by the same four manufactures with the only difference being the rollmark. My issue is that most pawn shops are selling used ATIs for the price of a new S&W Sporter. If they're selling at that price, then I guess good for them.
Na wasn't implying that you were implying haha. Yeah I believe they are. Yeah it's crazy the prices some people want. And I'm here thinking, I can build the same or better for at least $100 less. But if people buying them go ahead. Karma may come and get ya though. Afraid only going to get worse after tomorrow.

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
10,688 Posts
They do multiply fast. Especially when have the right tools. Vice. Vice Block. Quality punches. Bench block. AR wrench. And propane torch for pesky loctite :) after the first one while watching YouTube vid i can put one together fairly swiftly. Prob is wish had more to do. Only thing on my list for gunsmith tools is wheeler fat torque wrench and set of grace roll pin starter punches. Christmas ideas indeed

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Saw one the other day for 475, it had a Omni poly lower, 4 positions carb stock and SOTA arms sportical style 1-9 upper.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts