·
Premium Member
21,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
I loved this Wikipedia quote about him and the battle of Ia Drang:

"Blond haired Moore was known as "Yellow Hair" to his troops at the battle at Ia Drang, and as a tongue-in-cheek homage referencing the legendary General George Armstrong Custer, who commanded as a lieutenant colonel the same 7th Cavalry Regiment at the Battle of the Little Bighorn just under a century before. Moore was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for extraordinary heroism at Ia Drang."

Not a great -- but a MUCH better -- outcome under Colonel Moore.

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
:us6:

Reactions: LearCo

·
Registered
8,697 Posts
You know Hal Moore's RTO and FO at la Drang and the rest of their tour lives right in Pearl. Retired CSM. Portrayed in the movie he never saw even though invited to the premiere in California. He told me that he told Plumley "Why would I want to see a movie about it, I lived it and see the movie in my memories every day". Haven't seen him since I moved to TN, he was sick last time I went to see him, no idea if he is still living. He had asked me to contact Plumley and let him know he wanted to speak to him, but Plumley died while I was contacting the family. I've met Plumley and Moore once or twice, at one time or another they would show up at the Cav reunions. (Invited distinguished guests, and at one of our Dining In's with 1st Cav. Division)

·
Free Edward Snowden
6,539 Posts
I'll never forget the scene from JAG, when a seal unit did a night HALO. After they stepped off the rear ramp and vanished into the darkness, a politician who had been hostile to the military turned to the Adm. and asked in awe, "Where do we find young men like that?"

Indeed, but thank the Lord that we do.

·
Waffennarr
8,865 Posts
You know Hal Moore's RTO and FO at la Drang and the rest of their tour lives right in Pearl. Retired CSM. Portrayed in the movie he never saw even though invited to the premiere in California. He told me that he told Plumley "Why would I want to see a movie about it, I lived it and see the movie in my memories every day". Haven't seen him since I moved to TN, he was sick last time I went to see him, no idea if he is still living. He had asked me to contact Plumley and let him know he wanted to speak to him, but Plumley died while I was contacting the family. I've met Plumley and Moore once or twice, at one time or another they would show up at the Cav reunions. (Invited distinguished guests, and at one of our Dining In's with 1st Cav. Division)
My own dear late father said the same thing when I tried to take him to see "Saving Private Ryan"; said "why the hell would I want to endure that again". When I was a little boy everyone's daddy was a WW2 vet, talked about it like they were the best days of their lives. Not my dad. I was frustrated by it. One day we were speaking alone, talking about some German phrases I was curious about (dad was a 1st generation American, born to German immigrants who never spoke English) and finally he got mad at my questions about 'what did you see' and told me "lauter toten Deutschen. Genug." Lots of dead Germans. Enough. Took me into my adult years to understand how "PTSD" he was, he refused to pick up any firearm, bought me any shotgun, rifle I wanted but would never shoot anything, not even a target. There were only 2 stories he told us but that would go too far off the subject. Just wanted to say I understand why a person who lived it would not want to see a movie about it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts