Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was seeing if anyone knew how to tighten the rivets on the upper hand guard. Mine seems to have loosened up and has a small crack in the wood by the rivet on the right side. If I push down on it I can see the front sight perfectly, but's soon as I let off it springs up.

·
Premium Member
6,806 Posts
I paid too much for it a couple years ago in Hawaii, gotta keep it forever or trade it. I’d buy a new guard but this one matches the stock.
I’m sure a couple guys here can help you out. Are you saying gun prices are higher in Hawaii than other states? I never really thought about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Island prices
I was seeing if anyone knew how to tighten the rivets on the upper hand guard. Mine seems to have loosened up and has a small crack in the wood by the rivet on the right side. If I push down on it I can see the front sight perfectly, but's soon as I let off it springs up.
Place the rivet head down over a punch or metal rod, best to secure the punch in a vise. Using another punch a little larger than the bradded side, or a large Phillips screwdriver, tap the driver to expand the brad......a little at a time.

If the lose rivet is in the cracked part of the guard, won’t do much good and might make matters worse. Replacement guards are plentiful on places like ebay.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah that's where it's cracked at. I guess the search is on, I just hate that the stock and hand guard match, hopefully I'll be able to find one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If it’s collector grade it hurts a bit more to have a crack like that. Having a stock match a hand guard on a shooter or a collector can be difficult to match. In most cases, getting a perfect match might be impossible, so you center on getting the correct type and manufacturer. They never built carbines based on the wood matching...it could just happen that way.

If it’s a mix-master, I’d just search for the right type and maker. 4-rivet/2-rivet,HI, OI, RSG, TN....etc.

What type/manufacturer are you looking for? Is yours marked? Unless it’s rare, good ones can be had in the $25 range and sometimes even less. I never try to fix a crack.I will not have a gun with glue or pins holding something together.

Yeah that's where it's cracked at. I guess the search is on, I just hate that the stock and hand guard match, hopefully I'll be able to find one.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine is a Type III with 2 rivet handguard. LA stamped and no rebuild stamps that I can see. The rifle is a Saginaw non import stamped.

·
Premium Member
13,324 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
The correct hand guard for a Saginaw (SG) would be a two rivet RSG Type I or Type II, depending on the serial number. As bad luck may have it...that is one of the rare hand guards. They do turn-up, but usually in the range of $75 plus, depending on condition.

I am not familiar with an LA marking right off the bat. Is that what's stamped on the hand guard?

If your stock is not correct for an SG, I would just locate any makers hand guard. Inland's (HI, OI) are quite common as well as Springfield Armory (SA). The correct stock for your carbine is also serial number dependent and could be one of several makers. I have a 3.30 SG wearing an Inland (OI) Type II stock, which is correct for the serial number.

You can go to this site, but beware that many collectors do not trust it and suggest it is based on outdated research, but it's interesting for educational purposes and much of it is correct.

USCARBINECAL30M1.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts