Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
10,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be feeding my first Garand in the near future and need some advice on ammo. I'm assuming regular quality factory loaded ammo is fine. Will not be reloading for it. I just don't want to shoot anything through it that might damage her.
I've seen some companies with Garand specific boxes but are out of stock and usually higher price. I've found some Federal American eagle 150gr FMJBT for a good price for plinking ammo. Don't plan on shooting a match anytime soon so don't need fancy stuff for now. I would like to keep a clip or two loaded with hunting rounds if safe, preferably Barnes VOR-TX. Thanks in advance. Typed this with a sad heart knowing there will be one person not replying that knows so much about them. But I know there are still very knowledgeable and experienced folks here to help. Great thing about MSGO is all the info contained with its members and their willingness to help.

·
Super Moderator
8,050 Posts
Reactions: phillipd

·
Registered
952 Posts
They have Greek surplus for sale by members. Just saw a 192
Sealed spam can in bandoliers and enblocs for 160 plus shipping from Arkansas. Different days and different sellers/prices.

I have never shot commercial ammo in my Garand but those that do recommend an adjustable gas plug.

Good luck.

·
Registered
18,029 Posts
I've heard to not shoot anything heavier than 150gr if commercial ammo.
I've seen 168gr bullets that are military surplus and I would not be afraid
to shoot that in a Garand.

Right or wrong, that's what I do. But, I defer to the real experts.

·
Premium Member
6,251 Posts
Hey USMC-NAV, unfortunately the CMP has been out of surplus for several months now. They do have good S&B though.

https://estore.thecmp.org/Catalog/Item/4C3006SB150-400

The PPU Garand ammo is good, but as the OP said, it’s not in stock much (seasonal). Federal American Eagle Garand ammo is good also and typically available online.

Federal American Eagle Ammo 30-06 Springfield (M1 Garand) 150 Grain

The port pressure is the issue...most, especially hunting oriented ammo develops too much pressure and damages the op rod.

Remington 150g Cote-lokt has a great track record as being safe in the Garand.

...you can also get a ported gas plug and then shoot pretty much any 30-06 ammo. I reload, so I’ve not tried one but plenty of YouTube’s and such on them.

Ported Gas Plug

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
10,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah planning to keep weight at 150gr.
Yeah just got off Google reading some info about different pressure ranges bending op rod so will steal clear of regular commercial ammo. And read about the adjustable gas block. Not gonna do that either so will stick to the S&B "Garand" factory ammo.

Thanks for the info on the core locks. Wanted a hunting capable round as well because I'd love to take a deer with it eventually

·
Premium Member
6,251 Posts
...remember to save your brass to sell to us here!

I’m sure several of us here have plenty of enblocs to donate you some. You get around Rankin co or Jackson, Lakeland dr area any?

·
Premium Member
6,251 Posts
For hunting you’ll have to get a five round clip.
Nope, no such restrictions in Mississippi on private lands (WMA maybe, I’m not up on them).

...and if ever needed you can load less than 8 rounds into a Garand. We load just 2 in the Garand matches all the time...easy easy once you see it done. Just insert an empty enbloc then insert the desired rounds. Also, against popular belief, you can also top off a Garand clip at any time while it is in the gun.

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
10,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
...remember to save your brass to sell to us here!

I’m sure several of us here have plenty of enblocs to donate you some. You get around Rankin co or Jackson, Lakeland dr area any?
Ha will do :)

I'll actually be staying at the Courtyard by Marriott on Ridgewood Court drive tomorrow night and will be there most of the day Wednesday. Meeting up with Golfer Wednesday at some point and hopefully boogerbear as well.

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
10,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I was thinking we didn't have restrictions on capacity
Even if did I figured could just load one round in the chamber if need be

·
Premium Member
3,523 Posts
Nope, no such restrictions in Mississippi. ...and you can load less than 8 rounds into a Garand. We load just 2 in the Garand matches all the time...easy easy once you see it done.
So you can have a clip that will hold more but only put five rds into and be legal to hunt like that? I thought it was like when you go duck hunting you can’t have a gun where you can load more than three rds of shot shell.

·
Registered
18,029 Posts
So you can have a clip that will hold more but only put five rds into and be legal to hunt like that? I thought it was like when you go duck hunting you can’t have a gun where you can load more than three rds of shot shell.
No restriction for deer hunting. If you want to load that
100 round drum for an AR, it's legal.

·
Premium Member
6,251 Posts
Mississippi has no caliber or magazine restrictions for normal hunting hours during deer rifle seasons on private lands...load up the banana mags or belt fed. They used to say ‘no 50cal’ I thought but I can’t even find that now.

·
Premium Member
3,875 Posts
Hey USMC-NAV, unfortunately the CMP has been out of surplus for several months now. They do have good S&B though.

https://estore.thecmp.org/Catalog/Item/4C3006SB150-400

The PPU Garand ammo is good, but as the OP said, it’s not in stock much (seasonal). Federal American Eagle Garand ammo is good also and typically available online.

Federal American Eagle Ammo 30-06 Springfield (M1 Garand) 150 Grain

The port pressure is the issue...most, especially hunting oriented ammo develops too much pressure and damages the op rod.

Remington 150g Cote-lokt has a great track record as being safe in the Garand.

...you can also get a ported gas plug and then shoot pretty much any 30-06 ammo. I reload, so I’ve not tried one but plenty of YouTube’s and such on them.

Ported Gas Plug
SGAmmo has that same S&B ammo for $259 for 400 rounds.

400 Round Case - 30-06 Springfield M2 Ball 150 Grain FMJ Ammo By Sellier Bellot - SB3006M2 | SGAmmo.com

SGAmmo also carries the PPU, but it's out of stock right now.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts