M1 Garand Clinic and Tournament SW Gun Club 12/9/17

Discussion in 'Training' started by Doug Bowser, Nov 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Doug Bowser

Doug Bowser Distinguished Poster

The Southwest Gun Club, Inc.

and

Mississippi State Firearm Owners Association

Present an

M1 Garand Rifle Clinic

PO Box 1061

McComb, MS 39649

601-341-8797

NRA Club # c1149 DCM Club # y35005

douglasmbowser@yahoo.com

Our club is conducting a CMP M1 Garand Rifle Clinic on December 9, 2017. THE McCOMB RANGE IS LOCATED 6 MILES EAST OF McCOMB, MS ON US HIGHWAY 98. IF COMING FROM THE WEST, LOOK FOR THE HOMESTEAD ROAD SIGN. THE RANGE ROAD IS ON T5HE LEFT, 2 MILES EAST OF THE SIGN ON US 98E. IF DRIVING FROM THE EAST, PASS THE BOGUE CHITTO WATER PARK AND WHEN YOU PASS THE CONVENIENCE STORE ON THE RIGHT, THE RANGE IS ON THE RIGHT, 2.2 MILES WEST OF THE STORE. THE NAME OF THE ROAD IS EDNA DRIVE. DRIVE TO THE BACK OF THE PROPERTY.

Course of Fire: CMP “A” Course on the NRA SR-1 Target at 100 yards

5 shots for sighters single loaded

10 shots prone slowfire single loaded 15 minutes time limit for sighters and record shots

10 shots rapid fire loaded 2 and 8 in 70 seconds

10 shots standing slowfire single loaded in 10 minutes

Our Clinic will consist of instructions on the following topics:

1. Use of M1 rifle and how to operate it.

2. Use of M1 sights.

3. Use of sling and proper shooting positions.

4. History of the M1 Rifle.

5. Field stripping M1 rifle and maintenance.

6. Proper ammunition and reloading.

7. Safety procedures on the range.

8. FIRING 35 ROUNDS OF .30 M2 BALL IN THE M1 RIFLE

9. 1 YEAR TRIAL MEMBERSHIP IN THE SOUTHWEST GUN CLUB

10. Sources for continued matches and programs with the M1 Rifle.

We will have NRA Instructors and Coaches to conduct this Clinic.

US Citizens in good standing (over 18 years old), that attend this clinic, are qualified to buy M1 rifles from the Civilian Marksmanship Program.

The class will start at 9:00 AM, Sign in starts at 8:30 AM. Clinic participants will need to bring a lunch and whatever drinks they desire. We will not have time to break for lunch and go into town to get anything. All participants, while shooting and not shooting, will be required to wear eye and hearing protection when on the range. Bring a ground cloth, (i.e.: Tarp, blanket, quilt or shooting mat).

Use of the M1 rifles and ammunition will be included in the Clinic Fee of $45.00. Participants under 18 years old pay $10.00 for Junior membership in the gun club but they will not be eligible to purchase the M1 Rifle. All participants should apply by US Mail, we will phone you to confirm your application. People showing up at the range may participate, if there is range space available.

NOTICE: We will accept cancellations if made 7 days before the Clinic Date. Any participant that does not show the day of the event (without prior notice as indicated) forfeits the Clinic Fee.

Hope to see you at the range,

Doug Bowser

Secretary

………………………………………………………………………………………...

APPLICATION FOR CMP M1 GARAND CLINIC

NAME: ______________________________________________ AGE:___________________________

ADDRESS: ___________________________________________________________________________

CITY, STATE, ZIP: ____________________________________________________________________

TELEPHONE: ______________________________ CELLPHONE: ___________________________

EMAIL ADDRESS: ____________________________________________________________________

INTEREST IN FIREARMS: _____________________________________________________________

I AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THIS PROGRAM: ___________________________________________

SIGNATURE

Send application and payment to: Southwest Gun Club, PO Box 1061, McComb, MS 39649

2. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

Y'all should make this one if you can! Even if you know the "Rifle, Cal. .30, M1" pretty well, you can learn something from Papa Doug. And the companionship of fellow Riflemen is always worth the trip to SW Gun Club for these events!

Mesquite and LeansVeryRight2016 like this.

3. Chris Boyd

Chris Boyd Distinguished Poster

SW MS
    If I’m not out of town for work that weekend, I’ll be there. Will be my second time at this event. The first one was very instructional. Was also my first hands on experience with the M1 rifle. I didn’t shoot very well that day, but I’ve had some practice since and hope to do better this time around. The clubs rifles are also very nice and most of them are very accurate.

Mesquite likes this.
  4. fordpkup

fordpkup Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Wish I could go.

Mesquite likes this.
  5. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

Hope y'all can make it, we've had to cancel the last few for lack of interest.

6. Soonered

Soonered Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Is the December one still on. Now that I have one, I would like to learn from a master.

Mesquite likes this.
  7. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

Still waiting to see how many sign up I guess. But the young Meister will probably show up with me if the clinic makes.

Mesquite likes this.
  8. Soonered

I will sign up but will be a few days. Visiting family in tulsa and going to the Oklahoma / West Virginia game

Mesquite likes this.
  9. Soonered

I sent Doug an email asking him to email me the form.

Mesquite likes this.
  10. Mesquite

Mesquite Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Doug dated the Clinic post for Dec 9. I have few things happening, but plan on sending in my sign up.
    Enjoyed the last one, looking forward to this.

11. LOBO

LOBO Distinguished Poster

Man how I wish I could come to this, but it just isn't in the cards.

12. Forwarded the announcement to BayouShooter to see if we can get some LA folks to attend. The last clinic had to be cancelled due to lack of interest.

Mesquite likes this.
  13. Soonered

I've likely got a second person to attend beyond myself but not definate.

Mesquite likes this.
  14. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

Load 'em up in a deuce & 1/2 and drive up here. ;)

Mesquite and Trailboss like this.
  15. DC7

DC7 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

How long does the class usually last? 9:00-5:00?

16. Chris Boyd

SW MS
    The last one went from about 8:30 - 12. Depends on the number of participants. We only had 6 shooters at the last one, and more than enough club M1’s to go around.

Mesquite likes this.
  17. Soonered

Should we bring our own or do you prefer to use the clubs?

18. HotRod61

HotRod61 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Sorry to say I'll won't be attending.

19. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

You may bring your own with safe ammunition. Generally speaking, "unsafe" ammunition would be the Korean stuff, which frankly haven't seen in a while, or if you're shooting commercial hunting .30-06 ammunition for which your M1 is not designed. If you have any questions ask and we will examine what you have. Douglas will render expert advice.

Mesquite likes this.
  20. Chris Boyd

SW MS
    Sent in my application and fee today. Looking forward to this event. Hate I'm going to miss the Trap Shoot this Saturday, but I'll make it up at the M1 Match.