Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a m1 garand I recently got and I am constantly reading about things about different models and then I find that my rifle has these feature or such. I am looking for someone who knows a lot about garands and can help me learn about my rifle and the rareity or value of it.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
I have a m1 garand I recently got and I am constantly reading about things about different models and then I find that my rifle has these feature or such. I am looking for someone who knows a lot about garands and can help me learn about my rifle and the rareity or value of it.
If you're anywhere within reasonable driving distance of McComb the most knowledgeable person I know of is Douglas Bowser. He has taught M1 Garand clinics since the DCM days, has fired M1s since the 1960s, taught when one had to attend a DCM (now CMP) clinic just to be permitted to purchase one, and trained me and my son to teach them as well. We still hold them once a year or more (if interest is there) at SW Gun Club outside of McComb. Anyway Douglas can tell you what you have and what condition it is in, what to expect, and how to feed and care for it. There are others on here who probably know as much but Douglas is retired, he has spare time most days, most others on here are still working for a living. If you are within distance let me know via PM and I'll send contact info.

·
Registered
15,440 Posts
If you're anywhere within reasonable driving distance of McComb the most knowledgeable person I know of is Douglas Bowser. He has taught M1 Garand clinics since the DCM days, has fired M1s since the 1960s, taught when one had to attend a DCM (now CMP) clinic just to be permitted to purchase one, and trained me and my son to teach them as well. We still hold them once a year or more (if interest is there) at SW Gun Club outside of McComb. Anyway Douglas can tell you what you have and what condition it is in, what to expect, and how to feed and care for it. There are others on here who probably know as much but Douglas is retired, he has spare time most days, most others on here are still working for a living. If you are within distance let me know via PM and I'll send contact info.
Another member and I were discussing him a few days ago. I’ve never had the chance to meet him, but he really is a wealth of knowledge. I miss his posts.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
He holds court M-F every morning from around 0700-0845 at the Burger King on Delaware Avenue in McComb, I met up with him there Friday as we gave a, ahem, "briefing" to the editor of the McComb newspaper.
Worth showing up and buying him a biscuit and / or cup of coffee, if you have the time. It will be time well spent, I assure you. Bring a notebook, you will want to take notes. The man is a living encyclopedia of firearms knowledge, and I'm not exaggerating.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is that dr bowser? If so he is a real close family friend of mine. I live in brandon but have all of my family in McComb so the next time I’m down I will try him. I’m not new to the garand and how to use and maintain it. I am very knowledgeable on the platform but I keep finding these little nomenclatures and things that I would like to talk about.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He holds court M-F every morning from around 0700-0845 at the Burger King on Delaware Avenue in McComb, I met up with him there Friday as we gave a, ahem, "briefing" to the editor of the McComb newspaper.
Worth showing up and buying him a biscuit and / or cup of coffee, if you have the time. It will be time well spent, I assure you. Bring a notebook, you will want to take notes. The man is a living encyclopedia of firearms knowledge, and I'm not exaggerating.
He is a great guy. I have not seen him in a while but he is great friends with my family. I have never met him but they all say the same thing. If you meet him, take notes.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Is that dr bowser? If so he is a real close family friend of mine. I live in brandon but have all of my family in McComb so the next time I’m down I will try him. I’m not new to the garand and how to use and maintain it. I am very knowledgeable on the platform but I keep finding these little nomenclatures and things that I would like to talk about.
He's not a Dr.; is a retired / disabled construction worker and author of at least 3 books on firearms that are considered authoritative on the subjects about which he wrote. A 2-volume set on the Mosin Nagant series by a man considered by many to be THE authority on the MN rifles, German author Karl-Heinz Wrobel, Drei Linien. Die Gewehre Mosin-Nagant cites Douglas' book Rifles of the White Death multiple times with reference to the Finnish versions of the MN rifles. If I have a question about ANYTHING on a firearm he is the man I call. Or just drop by, he's got the time ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He's not a Dr.; is a retired / disabled construction worker and author of at least 3 books on firearms that are considered authoritative on the subjects about which he wrote. A 2-volume set on the Mosin Nagant series by a man considered by many to be THE authority on the MN rifles, German author Karl-Heinz Wrobel, Drei Linien. Die Gewehre Mosin-Nagant cites Douglas' book Rifles of the White Death multiple times with reference to the Finnish versions of the MN rifles. If I have a question about ANYTHING on a firearm he is the man I call. Or just drop by, he's got the time ;)
I just texted my aunt and the man I am think of is dr Brewer. Haha I was close. I will have to stop by something.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Well he is glad to share his knowledge. Monday morning at the BK on Delaware would be a good place to catch him. The local PD is used to seeing him in the parking lot with firearms and will just drive on past if they see y'all handling a rifle or 2. Or they may stop just to listen to the lecture.

·
Premium Member
6,251 Posts
I’m in Pelahatchie and work in Flowood. Could meet sometime at lunch or get down to the range in Byram (MRPC) and give you at least a good overview on part numbers, manuf, how to grease, clean, sight, etc. Nothing like Mr Bowser or many others here though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’m in Pelahatchie and work in Flowood. Could meet sometime at lunch or get down to the range in Byram (MRPC) and give you at least a good overview on part numbers, manuf, how to grease, clean, sight, etc. Nothing like Mr Bowser or many others here though.

I should be going to the magnolia gun range next Saturday. If you hear a ping down the range come on over.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ABE4E0CD-71B9-4898-BB9F-8A3CE45E29E9.jpeg
1292FE10-E247-4F78-879A-CB5E9DDDE106.jpeg
6AF88B23-4826-4F99-AF06-A47ED0E52F3C.jpeg

Here’s some pics of mine. What I have gathered so far is that it is a lead rebuild in 69 and was rebarreled in 45. It is a June 43 production.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
When our son (now Ensign) Z. was in the 10th grade he came to a John C. Garand match at Magnolia R&P. He brought his classmate with him, and a bunch of guys there had put all there M1 rifles on the same table at the left end of the firing line. No one was down range, it was safe, and he asked Mr. JM if he could show his friend how the rifle worked. He explained the gas system, took mine apart and was explaining the pieces. I was wondering where he was and saw him down there. There were about 10 or 12 grown men listening to my (smart&ss) 15 year old explain how the "Rifle, Caliber .30, M1" functioned and re-assembling it (thank you Douglas Bowser). I wish I had a video of that impromptu "class".
At the academy he was very upset that he had to carry one from sunrise to sunset and never got to fire it. He was very fond of "Blondie", too, and showed her to his momma and me when he went from Plebe to Midshipman. What a waste.
It was a pretty rifle too.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
He got a new one in 2014 though:
Change of command at USMMA

Der Junge got to go back into the armory and pick out another "Rifle, M1" for his personal companion. He was very excited: "Dad I was in a room with about 300 M1s. I picked the one that looked best and actually functioned. If only they'd let me shoot the d*mn thing."
Here he is leading 1st Co. Class of 2017 as platoon leader at the recent change of command ceremony.
Leading on the right of the formation:

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Ah, found a foto of the boy at one of his first matches. And another with "Blondie" when they still had him shaved bald and in PT clothing.
Alex early with M1.jpg Plebe Z with M1.jpg (he's in the middle here with "Blondie").
Anyway, I don't claim to know all that Herr Bowser knows, but I or our son (when he's home) will help you out as best we can with your M1 questions. Best of luck to you!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts