close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

M1 Garand -- WWII 1944 -- VAR Barrel

Discussion in 'Sold' started by captain-03, Oct 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. captain-03

captain-03 Moderator Staff Member MSGO Supporter

Byram, MS
    For your consideration is another somewhat unique WWII production USGI Caliber 30 M1 Garand Semi-Automatic Rifle (30.06) made by Springfield Armory in February 1944 – serial #2580016. I do remember picking this one up at the CMP South Store in Anniston sometime in 2004. Of course, there are NO import markings.

The reason I purchased this particular rifle was its overall nice appearance, sported a VAR barrel, and was a Danish return. After WWII the US Army stockpiled many small arms throughout Europe. This particular rifle was on loan/lease to the Danish under the Military Assistance Program (MAP) and later returned to the US Army. While difficult to read, the Danish soldier’s sighting “dope” is on a label attached to the inside of the stock channel. The Danes took extremely good care of the rifles received by them and this one is certainly no exception.

The receiver has absolutely NO pitting or rust above or below the woodline. As stated above, it sports a VAR barrel dated May 1957. These barrels were produced by the Danish government arsenal (Vaabenarsenalet). Many Garand aficionados believe they were one of the best and most accurate barrels ever produced for the Garand. Just do a Google search and read what many have said about these barrels. Several years ago a buddy of mine went to the CMP Garand completion games held in OKC. He wanted to take a backup rifle and I lent him 4 of what I thought would be the best shooters to try (one had a brand new Criterion barrel). He took them all the range prior to leaving for OKC and decided to take this one stating it outshoot all the others. The CMP inspection tape is still on the trigger guard from his trip to the CMP games.

Muzzle wear measured between 1.5 & 2 and the TE measured between 2 & 3 using CMP & Stone Axe Gages. The trigger housing and operating rod are also marked as Springfield.

While not the original 1944 stock, it does have walnut USGI wood with only a couple VERY SMALL dents, dings, etc. For an original USGI stock, it is in excellent condition. The wood color on the butt stock and handguards are a great match. The Danes stamped the serial number into the stock to ensure they stayed matched. The lock-up is very good.

$1000 FTF in the Byram Area. I will require a MS Drivers License for individuals not personally known to me and a Bill of Sale will be executed. NOT INTERESTED IN TRADES.

IMG_3095.JPG IMG_3059.JPG IMG_3081.JPG IMG_3079.JPG IMG_3067.JPG IMG_3068.JPG IMG_3069.JPG IMG_3071.JPG IMG_3072.JPG IMG_3091.JPG

2. captain-03

Byram, MS

3. onlymaroonmatters

onlymaroonmatters Eat Sleep JEEP MSGO Supporter

Laurel
    Ahhhh killing me captain. Another fine rifle of rifles. I'd love to have just half the ones you've sold.

Mesquite likes this.
  4. Mesquite

Mesquite Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

5. captain-03

Byram, MS
    PM not received ...

6. captain-03

Byram, MS